What+How+Packing 101

akruz

May I please have a simple method to pack for 14 day cruise plus 3 day pre-cruise for hubby and I.

What to pack in regards to clothing for each of us?

What to pack as essentials not to miss?

Baggage is weighed and expensive for us and the restrictions are strict.

Luggage how many as hubby has luggage phobia!!!!! I guess sizes etc as to check on and carry one. We are allowed each a check on and one carry one beside the purse.

Please I need 101.

Never did a cruise with formal wear!

The key is to select one color scheme and stick to it.

For you, leave all the gowns/evening bags/tons of shoes home. Bring ONE long or tea length black silk skirt and two matching dressy tops. Pair with black strappy sandals--the same ones you'll wear to dinner with the black pants and knee length-ish black skirt and four or five matching tops. Now you've got dinners covered, no one will notice if you repeat outfits the second week.

For days I'd pack two pair of casual trousers or capris and two broomstick type skirts, with six mix and match tops that are lightweight and can be hand washed. One pair of shorts and one pair of comfortable walking sandals that match all.

Add in four sets of underwear (hand wash and line dry) a bathing suit, a longer open weave sweater that can serve as a bathing suit cover up or as a sweater, something to sleep in, a wrap, some jewelry, a few scarves, and a pair of flip flops and you're set to go.

Send the laundry out as needed. It will be cheaper than the cost of paying for an extra bag.

May I please have a simple method to pack for 14 day cruise plus 3 day pre-cruise for hubby and I.

What to pack in regards to clothing for each of us?

What to pack as essentials not to miss?

Baggage is weighed and expensive for us and the restrictions are strict.

Luggage how many as hubby has luggage phobia!!!!! I guess sizes etc as to check on and carry one. We are allowed each a check on and one carry one beside the purse.

Please I need 101.

Never did a cruise with formal wear!

So, if I read it right you and your husband get one free checked bag, then each get one carry on and each one personal?

You are more than good to go. I'm a horrible overpacker for cruises and it doesn't matter much to me, but I know why people try to not over pack for various reasons.

Here is what I would do.

Each of you have a 24 inch suitecase to check, mix and match your clothes between those two suitcases (in case one gets lost).

Take a duffle bag or about a 19 inch carry on bag each with things you couldn't live without (meds, jewelry, expensive dresses, or electronics) Pack at least one formal piece and one casual piece, one bathing suit, and one pair of pjs, two pairs of undies, and a versatile shoe (dress up or down, so a black sandal should work) in those bags.

Take a large tote or smaller duffer (I can get away with a 12x12) as your personal items. And put whatever else you need to get to right away in there. I never take a purse on vacation, I move all my cards and things I need into a wristlet that goes in my personal bag, which is technically my purse.

I even think you could get away with only one checked bag between the two of you with no problems. But if its free and you can deal with it, it might be nice to have some extra space to bring stuff you buy back. Then again, I'm probably..........overpacking again. :p

I can tell you that I can get more than enough for 1 day at the hotel and 7 days at sea with: (In fact I always pack at least enough for two weeks for one week, but I'm picky dresser sometimes).

1 12x12 duffle (personal item)

1 19 inche roller suitcase (carry on)

1 28 inch checked bag

packing methods:

Try the bundle method

or

Rolling method

or

Dry cleaning bags

We are going to be trying the bundling method on our April cruise. I also just bought new polycarbonate luggage that is very lightweight.

I don't know who you're cruising with, but Carnival has formal wear your DH can rent if you want to save room in your luggage. :D

We, too, have never been on a cruise so have been mulling what to do about luggage. Our normal procedure, on a few trips to Europe from the U.S., has been to each take a decent-size carry-on, plus the one personal item. We learned after our first European experience with a large suitcase that rolling carry-ons work way better for going on public transport, which is what we mainly do. The carry-ons are both the type that are expandable by unzipping to make them deeper, and we check one or both on the way home.

After the cruise (transatlantic to England) we plan on traveling for 3 weeks, first in England and then to the Netherlands to visit our son. So, we have decided to take one larger bag (a garment-bag type suitcase) which will have most of our dressy clothing, plus the usual 2 carry-ons. We are not flying to the port of departure (NY), but will take bus and train, and stay over in NY a couple of nights so won't have to check any luggage. Upon arrival in England, we'll pay (through our cruiseline) to have the larger bag shipped home to us. They can set the timing so it isn't delivered before you arrive back. In terms of what to bring "ducklite" here has wonderful suggestions. I'm in fact bringing one long black dressy skirt and 2 different fancy tops to go with that, plus one other very lightweight 3-piece formal outfit (skirt, tank top, and overwrap). We have 3 formal nights, 2 semi-formal, and 2 "elegant casual." I'm bringing a sleeveless, V-neck sundress-type dress that can pass as semi-formal, with a couple of dressy sweaters/shrugs to go with that and with other outfits. And I'm bringing a shorter black skirt and a couple of dressy but less fancy tops to go with that; these and the sweaters I'll use duirng our later trip and will not ship back. For pants, I'm bringing 2 linen-look ones, one black and one cream/tan; one knit black "gaucho" pair, and one pair of tan cotton capris; oh, and maybe one pair of shorts (knee-length). Plus bathing suit, underwear, etc.

Have fun packing and on your cruise!

As someone who likes to bring her entire closet with her (okay, not really, but I do bring 2 outfits/day) I have learned 3 things in my dozen or so cruises.

1) know your cruislines style and dress policies. There is a big difference between a 3 day carnival cruise and a trans Atlantic QE 2 crossing and I'm not just talking about how many days at sea. I dress up no matter what, but I like to. If you would like to "fit in" then read your brochures, look at the cruislines websites and pack accordingly.

2) do a dress rehearsal. Before I pack or buy anything new, I shop my closet first. I figure out on paper how many outfits I'll need, what I can "reuse" same shorts or sundress 2 different days for example and what accessories I will need for all outfits. Then I try them all on (right down to shoes and jewlery) so I know exactly what to bring and what is unnecessary. Plus, it's a fun, dress up day! (I put-on music, make a cocktail, you know....girl stuff)

3) men seem to hate bringing along formal clothes (yes, I'm generalizing). My husband is in the software business so he doesn't even own a suit. We usually rent a tuxedo for him and it's waiting in the cabin...no packing drama at home. I would suggest if you do this to really TAKE YOUR TIME measuring properly or have a professional take his measurements. These rentals will never look as good as a real tailored suit, but it saves a lot of room.

Here's how I plan:

I pick a colour scheme for both of us. When we did a 12-nighter I based everything on black and navy. I don't take anything that doesn't match at least a couple of other items. That means I leave a lot of articles of clothing that I love, but I'd rather have fewer bags!

Plan to wear your bottoms at least three times. I will bring cute little skirts and wear them to dinner at least one evening, then on shore at least once. Key: Plan to take advantage of the ship's laundry and dry cleaning.

Black tuxedo pants are a godsend --- wear them many nights with different lightweight, dressy tops. Bring one sweater or wrap in the event it is cold. Bring one pair of dress shoes (make sure the are comfortable), and maybe two other pairs of shoes (sandals and walking shoes). Bring one dress, especially if it is once you can wear more than once. Bring different scarves or wraps to change the look.

Go light on jewellery - it is heavy.

Lay everything out on the bed an make sure it all matches and works together. Then add up the number of outfits you have and count. Too many changes of clothes; too few? I always bring one extra, primarily because I sometimes can't make up my mind.

Go light on the personal care items. I always bring a bunch of stuff that I don't use (like teeth whitening treatments, self-tanner, etc.). Bring small bottles that can be tossed before you head home (leaving space in luggage for souvenirs!).

For hubby for 10 or 12 nights, I'll pack 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of Dockers (one light, one black), a couple of dress shirts, a couple of pairs of shorts and several golf shirts & t's. If the ship doesn't require true formal wear then I pack a sports coat that will go with the Dockers. Don't forget the belts, and throw in a couple of ties for good measure. If he needs a tux I drop the sports coat and dress shirts, throw in the tux and one tux shirt (send it out to be cleaned). One pair of dress shoes, a pair of runners, a pair of deck shoes and a pair of flip flops.

If you plan to workout then leave room for a pair of running shoes plus three sets of workout clothes and socks. Send 'em out when they're dirty!

As someone who likes to bring her entire closet with her (okay, not really, but I do bring 2 outfits/day) I have learned 3 things in my dozen or so cruises.

1) know your cruislines style and dress policies. There is a big difference between a 3 day carnival cruise and a trans Atlantic QE 2 crossing and I'm not just talking about how many days at sea. I dress up no matter what, but I like to. If you would like to "fit in" then read your brochures, look at the cruislines websites and pack accordingly.

2) do a dress rehearsal. Before I pack or buy anything new, I shop my closet first. I figure out on paper how many outfits I'll need, what I can "reuse" same shorts or sundress 2 different days for example and what accessories I will need for all outfits. Then I try them all on (right down to shoes and jewlery) so I know exactly what to bring and what is unnecessary. Plus, it's a fun, dress up day! (I put-on music, make a cocktail, you know....girl stuff)

3) men seem to hate bringing along formal clothes (yes, I'm generalizing). My husband is in the software business so he doesn't even own a suit. We usually rent a tuxedo for him and it's waiting in the cabin...no packing drama at home. I would suggest if you do this to really TAKE YOUR TIME measuring properly or have a professional take his measurements. These rentals will never look as good as a real tailored suit, but it saves a lot of room.

BBM

Fantastic advice because this is my tried-and-true method too-and it has worked wonderfully for me (even on three back-to-back cruises totalling 49 days)! "Shop your closet first" is the best single piece of advice in all these posts in my opinion.

"The Dry Cleaning Bag" method also has worked for me consistently over the years.

You've received some great advice and suggestions here, and I hope you'll be able to have a great cruise!

Take a duffle bag or about a 19 inch carry on bag each with things you couldn't live without (meds, jewelry, expensive dresses, or electronics) Pack at least one formal piece and one casual piece, one bathing suit, and one pair of pjs, two pairs of undies, and a versatile shoe (dress up or down, so a black sandal should work) in those bags.g.php

I would suggest hopping over to the Caribbean Cruising Fashionista thread... there is a ton of great packing advice on there too! If you don't have time to sort through it all, cruise to the last 7 or 8 pages of it, some very good packing tips.

I agree with picking a color scheme, and re-wearing items. I plan to do laundry (actually have it done for me) 1/2 way through the trip, and just build that expense into the cruise budget. Also, packing similar items into gallon ziplocs and then sitting on them (or gently squeezing - depending on the contents) to get all the air out before zipping them creates a ton of space in your luggage. I do this with kids outfits, but also for myself with swimwear, undies, jewelry, socks, bras, workout wear, even sundresses - they get rolled up first.

The very last thing to place into your bag(s) before closing:

An 8 1/2" by 11" piece of paper with the following in LARGE FONT:

Name

Ship

Cabin Number

Cruise Date

Cell Phone Number

Sounds silly, but with most ships handling 4,500 - 6,000 bags per cruise the odds of at least a few lost tags or miss-delivered bags is high.

A friend was missing her bag the entire cruise; it cound not be found. On "packing night" folks in the next door cabin (holding four people) found a bag no one could claim. No tag, no ID inside of the bag; nothing. They called passenger services who matched the bag with said friend the night before deembarkation.

Cheers!

i would suggest that you plan on wearing everything at least twice. In that way you have now cut the clothing in half. I also choose fabrics that don't wrinkle and light weight and in that way you can pack more in a smaller space. While I love to wear jeans I leave them home for cruise because they are heavy and I find I can pack more without them. I hand wash all underwear, socks, pj's, and most of my wash and wear but I do use the ship's cleaning as well. If you can rent a tux saves on space as well.

Shak

So, if I read it right you and your husband get one free checked bag, then each get one carry on and each one personal?

You are more than good to go. I'm a horrible overpacker for cruises and it doesn't matter much to me, but I know why people try to not over pack for various reasons.

No we have to pay all our luggage. I think $25.00 or $35.00 per suitcase. So I want to do best i can and the luggage we purchased was the Kirkland Signature from Costco they are a generous bag but easy to overload and pay luggage plus the overage in weight. I want to thank everyone for being so kind and assisting us. appreciated.

Archived