The Joy of the Interior Stateroom

HealthyTouch101

We have only been on 4 cruises, and had interior rooms 3/4 times. Sure, they are economical, but they also suit us best. We have one booked for our cruise next month.

Here's why:

We like darkness to sleep in and it is easy to achieve in an interior room.

We did not enjoy the sounds from the deck outside the window when workers were moving lounge chairs, etc. Yes, an even more expensive room might alleviate this, but see first reason.

We don't care if we have a private balcony. We find private places of quiet in the public areas. My favorite is up front on the sport deck behind the windscreen on a lounge chair for a nap before dinner. Often there are very few people there and it is wide open.

We are in our room very little. We play the games, walk, read, spa, etc.

We have no special needs that would require a larger room.

I hate being fussed over, so butlers and all that comes with some of the suites would make me crazy. There are days I do not even have the steward come to our room to straighten up.

The last cruise my SO got sick on the last day and that dark, cozy interior room was a great place to rest as a cold/sneezing took hold and room service brought tea and broth, etc. as we needed it. The tender was canceled and so SO slept and I went to the library and read a book in the Crow's Nest as I watched it rain--first time I saw rain on a cruise.

We read so much here about suites and balconies, etc.

I want to hear from others, like us, who love their interior room!

We've had an interior room, and we enjoyed it for much the same reasons you do.

Our daughters had an interior two years ago. One of them contracted H1N1 flu, and it was so much better for her. She had been vaccinated prior, but caught a very mild case (a few members of the crew had tested positive too, according to the news, but I think many more had it too). It was a nice cave for her on the last two days.

I'd do an interior again. I think balconies are only a necessity for me when we have a scenic port, like Glacier Bay.

We have been on nine cruises, eight of which we had interior cabins, and have found them to be comfortable for us. The one time we had a balcony cabin was nowhere near worth the extra $, in our opinion. Our interiors were more spacious and quiet. I understand that some don't feel comfortable in a cabin with no outside light, but this isn't an issue with us.

The interior is all that we need. Once had a balcony and enjoyed it, but I'd rather spend the extra $$$ on something else. We usually book a large J on the main deck and do appreciate a bit of extra space. We enjoy the quiet darkness at night.

I'll play!

I've had a window cabin, a couple balcony cabins, and, on my last cruise, an interior. I had thought I wouldn't like the interior cabin, that it would feel stuffy, or that I would feel "closed in", but it was great! And the money I was saving over a balcony (oh, about half the cost) was great too.

Unfortunately my traveling compaion for my next cruise (Alaska) has talked me into a balcony. I'm sure I'll like it, and have heard if you're ever going to spend the money on a balcony, it should be on an Alaskan cruise. But I still know that my last Alaska cruise was in an inside cabin, and it was just fine for me.

I wish I had the kind of money that some on these boards do who cruise multiple times a year in balcony and suite cabins. But I don't know if I would spend the money on those cabins. Certainly not all the time. I just can't justify the expense when I know the inside cabins are just fine for me.

I really liked my interior room - it was a WONDERFUL place to catch a quick nap in - and that's about all I did there was sleep, shower, and change.

I'll admit, having a balcony (on the right side of the ship!) would be nice so I could catch sunrise in my jammies, but otherwise? I'm not sure that the bump in cost is worth it for me - esp. considering I'm already paying a single supplement!

We have only been on 4 cruises, and had interior rooms 3/4 times. Sure, they are economical, but they also suit us best. We have one booked for our cruise next month.

Here's why:

We did not enjoy the sounds from the deck outside the window when workers were moving lounge chairs, etc. Yes, an even more expensive room might alleviate this, but see first reason.

We don't care if we have a private balcony. We find private places of quiet in the public areas. My favorite is up front on the sport deck behind the windscreen on a lounge chair for a nap before dinner. Often there are very few people there and it is wide open.

I hate being fussed over, so butlers and all that comes with some of the suites would make me crazy. There are days I do not even have the steward come to our room to straighten up.

The last cruise my SO got sick on the last day and that dark, cozy interior room was a great place to rest as a cold/sneezing took hold and room service brought tea and broth, etc. as we needed it. The tender was canceled and so SO slept and I went to the library and read a book in the Crow's Nest as I watched it rain--first time I saw rain on a cruise.

I think we got you beat! We have been on 19 cruises with 2 more coming up in 9 days. And except for an upgrade on our Prinsedam--Mediterranean cruise they have all been interior rooms, which we prefer.

Like you we like the dark cabin for sleeping. We prefer to spend our money on excursions or more trips ;).

So yes, we are advocates of interior rooms.

Mary Lou

My first cabin was an interior -- since then I have moved up from there -- oceanview, balcony suite -- granted my monetary life has improved, however, I also have developed claustrophibia (sic) so can't go back to an inside. Back when I had the inside -- it was wonderful -- couldn't complain, It is alll up to you which you choose

I was sick on one of my cruises, they thought at first it may be Noro, so I was quarantined in my room just to be safe. We were going thru the Panama Canal, and I would have missed it all if I had not had a balcony. I would have been so upset had that happened. Now I hope I am never sick on a cruise again, but just the thought of being confined in an inside room worries me. It could be my claustrophobia too, I need to see out. Too bad, I would like to save the $$ an inside room would save!

I have back problems, and the inside cabins have a step-in shower rather than a tub which is a problem for me to step over and into. I now go on LONG cruises and would never be able to afford them if I could not travel more economically in an inside cabin. I was upgraded once to a full suite. It was a total waste. I was never in it. I travel solo and like to meet new people. There is nothing like meeting wonderful people for breakfast in the early morning in the Lido and then going outside and watch the sunrise with newfound friends. That's what it's all about for me.;)

Mrs. K is mildly claustrophobic and will even take the stairs rather than get in an elevator on a ship so no way will we ever be in an interior. In some senses I guess that means we cruise less frequently from an economics point of view but then again getting away more than once a year for a cruise isn't happening anyhow so we might as well enjoy it as much as we can. I probably created a bit of the problem in the first place as I "surprised" Mrs. K with her first cruise for our honeymoon on the Ryndam in a verandah cabin....been in one ever since. :)

I've always had an inside cabin, and I love it! Sure, it'd be nice to splurge for a verandah someday but right now I'm just fine with an inside cabin. I'm only in the room to sleep, get dressed, and shower (actually on my last cruise I usually just showered in the spa after I "thermalized" in the thermal suite, so I hardly ever even showered in my cabin :p)

There are so many lovely places to hang out on the ship, I really don't care too much about my cabin. I'm more interested in the ship overall and the itinerary.

We have done both.

Sometimes we have our son go with us, and when he does, we book a balcony as the rooms are typically larger and they usually have a open-up sofa (at least the rooms we select do).

Other times, if we are going say on a 2 week cruise, we may opt for a balcony as the interior room gets to you after awhile.

But on some cruise lines, those that allow smoking on the balcony, we cannot often use it as much as we'd like due to smokers near us. So that is one reason we often book an interior room.

And in the Caribbean, it is sometimes just too hot on the balcony.

Of the 12 cruises we have been on, we have booked interior rooms 8 times.

I usually travel solo, so most of the time I book an inside because of the single supplement. I do sleep better in the inside because it is nice and dark inside. On longer cruises with lots of sea days I do a lot of reading and relaxing. I like to read outside in the fresh air so I am either on the promenade deck or one of the other open decks. I have a very boring routine on sea days. Read a book, take a nap, read a book, take a nap, read a book take a nap. The inside cabins work very good for my napping schedule.

Here's why:

I love 'my' interior stateroom(s) too for all the reasons that you have already indicated! :):):)

We totally agree too!! We mostly book an inside cabin for the reasons mentioned above. Our last two cruises we had VE cat. cabins and I enjoyed them, but for DW they were just okay. So we are back to a cat. K on the Volendam in Mar. I want to try an inside cabin on the larger ships one day. Hope it will be soon.

For me it depends on itinerary and who is going on the trip. Hubby doesn't often travel with me, so when he gets his one trip a year we book a verandah. If its just me and one or two kids, price dictates. On a ship where there is a lot to do I'll get OV or consider an inside. But if there's any chance at all of being bored then I'll do a verandah.

Eventually I'll travel more, or even by myself, and probably go cheaply each time. If I only did one trip a year though it would be a verandah.

Mrs. K is mildly claustrophobic and will even take the stairs rather than get in an elevator on a ship so no way will we ever be in an interior. In some senses I guess that means we cruise less frequently from an economics point of view but then again getting away more than once a year for a cruise isn't happening anyhow so we might as well enjoy it as much as we can. I probably created a bit of the problem in the first place as I "surprised" Mrs. K with her first cruise for our honeymoon on the Ryndam in a verandah cabin....been in one ever since. :)

I love it when my DH creates problems for me like that! Hurrah to troublemaker husbands!!

Mrs K is a lucky woman.

Edited by Amuse Bouche

For us, the greatest attraction of an interior cabin is the $aving$ :) When we have time to do longer itins, and more exotic itins, I'm pretty sure Mr. Frugal and I will be choosing interiors. If it is "get on the ship and have an interior cabin" or "can't afford a cruise" we will choose interiors every time :D