September Alaska Cruise

KPGirl

the weather is never predictable. but when i went in sept it was wonderful weather. we had a drizzle on the sea day but in the ports the sun was sunny and we had no rain. i wore a pair of jeans, tennis shoes and a hooded sweatsirt over a tshirt. i must say i am from illinois so i am more used too cooler weather than people who live in the hot states. yes, it was chilly on the deck at night but i loved it. the wildlife was awesome. there where so many whales and eagles around hunting for the huge salmon that where on the run. and the bears could be seen in the far distance on the mts and along the shores. and other wildlife was around. seeing the bears is mostly a stroke of luck so i guess i got lucky. i did not see any snow in the ports but it was gorgeous too see it on the mts and of course the glaciers. i think sept is a wonderful time too go. throw in a lightweight nylon jacket and those cheap lightweight gloves just in case you want too be safe on a chilly deck or on deck in the glaciers. but you can buy everything you need in the ports on the '' end of season sales '' in the shops.

have a wonderful time. dont forget creek street bridge in ketchikan. that is where i saw a lot of salmon. i dont know if i was just lucky or they are there most of the time on their way too where they end up, but the creek was full of them. and they are huge ;). have a great time.

As always the weather is unpredictable no matter when you go...however in September you are definitely trending toward wetter weather. Personally speaking we have had some great weather in September and frankly not so good. However, we have been to Alaska enough times that the weather good or bad is not going to impact our cruise vacation, if the price is right ....we are gone.

end of August 2011

Day 1: Vancouver clear day

Day 2: sea day drizzle

Day 3: Ketchikan drizzle

Day 4: Juneau drizzle

Day 5: Skagway drizzle until afternoon

Day 6: Glacier Bay overcast / drizzle a little

Day 7: College Fjord overcast / drizzle

Day 8: Anchorage drizzle overcast

Day 9: Palmer FIRST SUN

Day 10: Talkeetna SUNNY Thank God

Day 11: Anchorage drizzle

Day 12: Anchorage drizzle

thanks everyone, I don't mind some cooler weather. We aren't going for a couple years, it will be for our 25th anniversay which is in September so I think I will take a change and go then. I'll just get a good rain coat.

The big question is WHEN in Sept??? There is a BIG difference in the first vs the second vs the third week. It gets colder and wetter potential, also significant daylight loss with it dark by 7pm the second week. Sept, used to be give away rates for Alaska cruises. Never more than $400pp I picked up several of them, always as the second trip of the year, one time the third. Always, the times were superior on the earlier trip. The discounts are hardly worth it now in my opinion.

Being well prepared will make a significant difference. Look carefully at port times, and maybe avoid the ones with afternoon arrivals.

thanks Budget Queen, when in Sept really doesn`t make a difference to me , our anniversary is the 22nd but I`d go anytime. I do plan on booking it as soon as it becomes available, doing a early savings rate so I will get the lowest price available. I really want a balcony at the back of the ship so I am planning far in advance ( for 2015). Thanks for your help.

The big question is WHEN in Sept??? There is a BIG difference in the first vs the second vs the third week. It gets colder and wetter potential, also significant daylight loss with it dark by 7pm the second week. Sept, used to be give away rates for Alaska cruises. Never more than $400pp I picked up several of them, always as the second trip of the year, one time the third. Always, the times were superior on the earlier trip. The discounts are hardly worth it now in my opinion.

Being well prepared will make a significant difference. Look carefully at port times, and maybe avoid the ones with afternoon arrivals.

great tip. i also like too check the port calender and see how many other ships will be there on my port days. for alaska that makes a big difference for me.

Archived