Just back off Independence (24/02/12) - Norovirus

andyc567

Hi All,

Just back off Independence today (24/02/12) and had a great time.

It was our 7th cruise and was a bit worried about what we had read.

Ignore the reviews, it is a truely wonderfull ship, spectacular.

The entertainment was superb and the food excellent.

Only thing was there was an outbreak of Norovirus during the second week of our cruise which thankfully we didn't suffer with.

The crew pulled out all the stops cleaning everything down, chairs, tables, hand rails, lifts, etc, and many were walkining about like ghost busters with disinfectant packs on their backs.

The only real inconveinience was the lack of a help yourself buffet in the Windjammer buffet for a few days. They ran a reduced choice service and had the crew serve it up for you which just slowed things down a bit.

Everything else on board was as it should be and the only other noticible thing was loads of announcements and hand wipes forced upon you at every oppotunity.

I have to say the whole thing was handled very well by the crew and RCI in general. Well done guy's.

I did hear a rumor that todays sailing was going to be delayed untill 19:00 with boarding not until 17:00 to allow a 'Deep Clean', so a lot of passengers could be waiting in the lounges at Southampton a long time today. There was already some there when we left the ship at 08:30 this morning !!

I would be interested to hear if this rumor is in fact correct or rubbish, anyone know ?

On the whole a superb cruise on a wonderful ship.

Very happy to hear. We're sailing her, next year when she crosses the pond for the caribbean.

She's one of the newer ones we haven't been on, so we're looking forward to it.

I'm so happy to hear the staff did such a great job.

Who was your cruise director?

Very happy to hear. We're sailing her, next year when she crosses the pond for the caribbean.

She's one of the newer ones we haven't been on, so we're looking forward to it.

I'm so happy to hear the staff did such a great job.

Who was your cruise director?

Yep, the whole crew did a top job..

Our cruise director was Joff Eaton, great guy, really entertaining.

Enjoy your cruise.

We were on the week before you and we witnessed everything you mentioned apart from the windjammer, such great crew always prompting you to clean your hands what more can they do..!

Cannot wait till May and now were looking to book for November.:D

Oh I'm so glad it wasn't as bad as it was made out to be on here.

I am sorry for the people who are going to be delayed on the sailing. It wasn't nice when I had to wait 2 hours but I couldn't wait for 4-5 hours to board.

Hope they have a nice cruise or get a little compensation, few extra $$ OBC maybe.

Hope it stays clean for the next few weeks, I don't want to be waiting for my long over due cruise.

CK x

We were on the week before you and we witnessed everything you mentioned apart from the windjammer, such great crew always prompting you to clean your hands what more can they do..!

Cannot wait till May and now were looking to book for November.:D

Hi Jason.

Yes, we followed your blog while eagly awaiting our cruise.

Many thanks for doing it, It was great to see.

They only removed the self service facillity in the Windjammer for two days I think.

There was loads of crew in there serving up the food to prevent everyone handling the tongs.

They got crew from everywhere to, the spa girls, dancers, guest relations the lot, were are drafted in to serve the food.

So are you off again in May and also booking for November, Indy again or something different ?

Just watching on http://www.marinetraffic.com and Indy still looks mored up in Southampton, maybe the rumor about a 17:00 boarding and 19:00 sailing is true?

Thanks again for the blog, superb !!

Hi All,

Just back off Independence today (24/02/12) and had a great time.

It was our 7th cruise and was a bit worried about what we had read.

Ignore the reviews, it is a truely wonderfull ship, spectacular.

The entertainment was superb and the food excellent.

Only thing was there was an outbreak of Norovirus during the second week of our cruise which thankfully we didn't suffer with.

The crew pulled out all the stops cleaning everything down, chairs, tables, hand rails, lifts, etc, and many were walkining about like ghost busters with disinfectant packs on their backs.

The only real inconveinience was the lack of a help yourself buffet in the Windjammer buffet for a few days. They ran a reduced choice service and had the crew serve it up for you which just slowed things down a bit.

Everything else on board was as it should be and the only other noticible thing was loads of announcements and hand wipes forced upon you at every oppotunity.

I have to say the whole thing was handled very well by the crew and RCI in general. Well done guy's.

I did hear a rumor that todays sailing was going to be delayed untill 19:00 with boarding not until 17:00 to allow a 'Deep Clean', so a lot of passengers could be waiting in the lounges at Southampton a long time today. There was already some there when we left the ship at 08:30 this morning !!

I would be interested to hear if this rumor is in fact correct or rubbish, anyone know ?

On the whole a superb cruise on a wonderful ship.

Hi

Agree on all your comments, we too have arrived home today after a wonderful cruise, the crew could not have done more. My husband came down with the norovirus on the last day Thursday, so did not spoil our cruise. Received wonderful service. Hopefully the deep clean will stop further outbreaks

I've just had a phone call from my parents who boarded Indy today, they finally got onboard just after 6 and had just arrived in their cabin. They are in a GS so were in the priority line, apparently hundreds are still queueing in the terminal.

They had arrived at the terminal around 1.30pm as they had read on here about the delayed boarding, they've been queueing all afternoon as no one knew what time they would be allowed on.

There has so far been no details about times for Muster or sailaway, there is open seating for dinner in the MDR tonight. When they arrived at the port they were given a letter saying they would get a $20 obc per person.

They sounded quite relieved to be finally onboard and are looking forward to the cruise now!

Julie

My daughter got on about 5.50pm and they were one of the first on. Sail away is delayed. Lifeboat drill is at 8.30pm. There is open sitting in the dining room tonight. She didn't receive a letter about any $20 OBC!!!!!

Hi Kimberley , Which daughter ? we were looking to book the 24th Feb sailing as we were getting antsy waiting for our next cruise, been home 3 weeks now !! What chaos it must have been in the terminal. We will wait patiently for the 17th March.:)

Hi Kimberley , Which daughter ? we were looking to book the 24th Feb sailing as we were getting antsy waiting for our next cruise, been home 3 weeks now !! What chaos it must have been in the terminal. We will wait patiently for the 17th March.:)

Hi Heather, Kayleigh and Dan. They stood for four hours being pushed and shoved by the crowds. Not the best start to the cruise. Apparently she stood talking to a few couples in the queue who apparently knew Ian and I and the couples were unconnected to each other. I must be one scary person!!!!!

Hi Heather, Kayleigh and Dan. They stood for four hours being pushed and shoved by the crowds. Not the best start to the cruise. Apparently she stood talking to a few couples in the queue who apparently knew Ian and I and the couples were unconnected to each other. I must be one scary person!!!!!

You forget, that is what I said to you on the Adventure, that when I first met you on Voyager you scared me !! LOL , but you never asked me why !!??!!. remind me to tell you in April:D:p

You forget, that is what I said to you on the Adventure, that when I first met you on Voyager you scared me !! LOL , but you never asked me why !!??!!. remind me to tell you in April:D:p

Now you have me really worried. I wonder if I scare everyone? I can't wait until April.!!!! I haven't had a text yet to say they have set sail.

Glad that you had a good cruise.

glad you had a good cruise i expect those who got the norivirus didnt find it too good. was the bay of biscay and weather kind to you. i know the ship was going to be delayed but it didnt go out until 8.30pm so it will have to catch up some speed to get to vigo on time

Bay of Biscay was fine, nothing much in the way of movement either way. Weather was dry and bright for pretty much all of the cruise, not as hot as it could have been in the canaries (18-19 degrees I think it was) but I was pleasantly surprised by warm dry weather in Vigo and Lisbon.

In Vigo we jumped in a cab to Samil beach, only 5-10 mins drive away yet strangely felt several degrees warmer than the town area, perhaps it was more sheltered from the wind or something.

I haven't had a text yet to say they have set sail.

It looks like Indy left Southampton at 20:30..

I bet that was a long day for those stuck in the departure lounges.

I think it left at 17:00'ish when we departed the cruise before (13/2/12) so they was a good 3 hours late.

Mind you, we were on board at 11:15 checking out the ship, so we only had wait in the lounge around 30 minutes.

Archived