Here's Why You Don't Take Your Passports Off The Ship

kitty9

I read all your posts about passports with great interest. We travel a lot and do not choose to carry our passports when cruising. We have rented cars in Italy and Spain without a problem. However, when going into Dubrovnik, we had to have our original passports to proceed from the port - and the daily cruise newsletter said so. Some people who did not read it had to walk back to the ship from the port entry.

My suggestion is to do what is comfortable for you. Ask your rental car agency if you need a passport. Read the daily cruise newsletter. And then decide if you want to carry or not. Always take the local cruise contact number in case you miss the ship. Other than that, no real right or wrong.

Enjoy

I read all your posts about passports with great interest. We travel a lot and do not choose to carry our passports when cruising. We have rented cars in Italy and Spain without a problem. However, when going into Dubrovnik, we had to have our original passports to proceed from the port - and the daily cruise newsletter said so. Some people who did not read it had to walk back to the ship from the port entry.

My suggestion is to do what is comfortable for you. Ask your rental car agency if you need a passport. Read the daily cruise newsletter. And then decide if you want to carry or not. Always take the local cruise contact number in case you miss the ship. Other than that, no real right or wrong.

Enjoy

We just got back from Dubrovnik and not once did they ever ask to see our passports even though they asked us to carry them It is ridiculuous. They gave us hot chochlate when we returned.

2 Days ago a Carnival tour bus was robbed just outside Puerto Vallarta and 22 passengers had their money, jewelry AND PASSPORTS stolen. No one was harmed. I am going on Mexico cruise (my fourth) in May. In the past, I leave my passport in the safe aboard ship and just take my drivers lic and cert copy of BC ashore along with a photocopy of my passport (just in case) I personally don't want my passport stolen in Mexico and have it end up being used by someone else. In your opinion (or anyone else's, does this cover all bases?

Thanks

Interesting you say this. On my last 20 trips or so to London, I always needed to show my passport at the hotel. I can't imagine that if I was left behind by a ship I could even get a hotel room for the night without one. At least that don't ask to hold it anymore which they did a number of years ago on my first trip.

I can't argue with that experience. Of course, being a Brit, that doesn't happen to me when I stay in London.

Hi all--Went on a cruise from Mia to Chile--Upon embarkation Celebrity asked for my passport and stated that I would get it back at the end of the cruise.--I asked what would happen if I missed the ship--I was told that ship personnel would deliver it to the port agent--I believed them and carried a copy of my passport during all port visits--Made sense to me--To those who know better--good luck--and never give your social sec# to anyone --especially someone who wants to run a credit check on you

When we were on the shuttle bus in Dubrovnik this past November, we were carrying a color photo copy of our passports. We were forced to disembark the bus by the immigration official because we needed the actual passport. It's the first time that our passport was ever needed. So much for past experience. :cool:

(we should have read the daily because that policy was stated but who reads instructions?) :o

We just got back from Dubrovnik and not once did they ever ask to see our passports even though they asked us to carry them It is ridiculuous. They gave us hot chochlate when we returned.

Then the port authorities are quite inconsistent. In September 2011, the people on our coach who didn't have their passports had to disembark and return to the ship.

When we cruise, we are Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, and Bermuda folks. So, we keep our passports in the safe and use the passport card. It makes it real handy going to the beach.

Yeah.... nobody ever had a problem in Mexico or the Caribbean.....:rolleyes:

Archived