Here's Why You Don't Take Your Passports Off The Ship

kitty9

Thank you for posting this...We always carry a copy of our passports and leave a copy at home with family and a copy and original on the ship....we are redundant about redundancy:rolleyes:

This article outlines another reason we no longer visit Mexico in any way.

If we are on a cruise that visits the region, we will stay on the ship.

I feel bad for the innocent locals who are trying to make a living off tourism...but I don't feel bad enough to risk my family's safety.

I think in these incidents we always need to look at the bigger picture and consider the distinction between the Riviera and W. Caribbean Mexican ports. Ports such as Cozumel and Costa Maya compared to the Riviera are night and day when it comes to safety concerns. That's not to say you shouldn't take precautions.

We're about to take our first cruise. I'll definitely make copies of our passports to leave here and take with, and we'll leave the original in our room safe when on shore. Now, should these copies be notarized to show they are authentic, just in case? Would a photocopy have any validity if it's not certified as a true copy?

We also just carry copies of passports off the ship with us. We always travel with the form needed to replace passports, and extra passport pictures, just in case. We leave these on the ship.

But this is also a good warning not to go into port wearing a lot of jewelry or carrying any valuables that one can't afford to lose. Making oneself noticeable when in a foreign port is just not worth the risk.

Mary

There are some ports, such as Dubrovnik and Alexandria, where you need your passport. A copy will not be accepted. Luckily, the cruise lines will let you know.

Since when do you need a passport in Dubrovnik? I've been twice on two different cruise lines and have never heard this.

We're about to take our first cruise. I'll definitely make copies of our passports to leave here and take with, and we'll leave the original in our room safe when on shore. Now, should these copies be notarized to show they are authentic, just in case? Would a photocopy have any validity if it's not certified as a true copy?

Even if notarized, it's not a valid travel document. The copies help you get replacement docs. Consider scanning them and putting them on your email account, with friends, in the cloud, etc.

I do the same with credit card info as well - though I don't photocopy the cards. I type numbers on a wallet size paper that are off by the same number. For example, the number listed is the credit card number minus 123.

As the boy scouts say, be prepared.

Even though these people were on a ship sponsored tour, the entire bus was robbed. Everything was taken, including passports. If this doesn't prove that you shouldn't take your passports off the ship, nothing will.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4755

Sorry, but it doesn't prove anything to me. Incidents such as this are not as common as someone missing the ship and having to cope with the hassles of getting home without their passport. Everyone has to weigh all the risks involved and act accordingly. I will acknowledge that, more often than not, I get off the ship in port while leaving my passport in the room safe, but that is more an example of just not carrying it with me when a govt. issue photo ID and my SeaPass card are sufficient to reenter the port facility and reboard the ship. It is not done out of fear that we will lose or be robbed of our passports and if we are stopped and robbed of our possessions and our safety is threatened, the knowledge that my passport is safely locked up onboard the ship, would be little comfort. We rarely, if ever, fail to include a good buffer between the time we intend to return to the ship and when passengers are required to be back on board. A photocopy of your passport (whether or not certified) may aid in speeding the issuance of a replacement passport, but otherwise may not be accepted as sufficient documentation that would allow you to fly home from a foreign port.

Sorry that this incident happened to those customers. I always keep several copies of my passport with me, in various luggage or purse compartments, and have a scanned copy accessible via email should I need it. On the two European cruises that I have been on, both Royal and Celebrity kept our passports at embarking, and then returned them on the last night.

Even though these people were on a ship sponsored tour, the entire bus was robbed. Everything was taken, including passports. If this doesn't prove that you shouldn't take your passports off the ship, nothing will.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4755

So....lets say the bus was late instead of being robbed.......and the ship sailed without you......and you need a passport to get to the next stop.........now what.........:rolleyes:

Your xeroxed copy of your passport will be helpful to remember what your passport looks like........the one you do not have.........that you now need.....;)

For all those folks out there that think a photocopy of a passport is a good thing:

Next time you go through a passport control......don't use your passport. Break out the photocopy of your passport (even better a notarized copy).......and let us all know what the passport officer said to you after they were presented with the photocopy.....;)

For all those folks out there that think a photocopy of a passport is a good thing:

Next time you go through a passport control......don't use your passport. Break out the photocopy of your passport (even better a notarized copy).......and let us all know what the passport officer said to you after they were presented with the photocopy.....;)

So....lets say the bus was late instead of being robbed.......and the ship sailed without you......and you need a passport to get to the next stop.........now what.........:rolleyes:

Your xeroxed copy of your passport will be helpful to remember what your passport looks like........the one you do not have.........that you now need.....;)

You obviously don't get it, or refuse to listen to the majority of the people here who have experience in this matter. No one is saying not to use your passport when going through required passport control points. That is when it should be on your person. But when it is not needed, it is safer in your stateroom safe. If you miss your ship, the cruise line knows who you are because your sea pass card will not have been swiped to get you back on board. If that happens, the ship's security staff will remove your passport from your safe and give it to their agent in the port, the very same person who you will be complaining loudly to that the captain has deliberately left you stranded. So, you will have it - courtesy of the ship's staff, even if it was in your safe - where it should be for safety.

I have been on two cruises where my passport had to be surrendered to the ship's officials. In some ports of call, such as in Ecuador, Peru and Chile, the ship must show every passenger's passport to the port officials in order for the ship to be cleared to disembark passengers, so they collect them well ahead of time and retain them until they no longer have to show them. You will spend your time ashore without your passport. If you refuse to surrender your passport, you are not allowed to leave the ship. Same thing happened during our 5-day Nile river cruise, as well as at every hotel we stayed at during the rest of our two week visit to Egypt.

By all means don't let sound logic get in the way of your opinions. Go right ahead and take your passport with you. I really don't care. It makes no difference to me that you don't place a high value on such an important document that you think it's safer to carry it around with you when you don't need it. Good luck with that. And don't forget to take all your cash, all your credit cards, and all your jewelry/valuables with you every time you go ashore - after all, what good is it all going to do for you if you don't have it with you as you are standing on the dock and watching your ship sail off into the sunset. I hope you also have your camera with you - it should make for an interesting photo! :rolleyes:

If you don't take your passport off the ship, and you miss the ship, you can not fly to the next destination or back home without a passport. I also take several copies as there are some bogus police scams in europe that end up taking your passport. Most police accept copies.

I have been on two cruises where my passport had to be surrendered to the ship's officials. In some ports of call, such as in Ecuador, Peru and Chile, the ship must show every passenger's passport to the port officials in order for the ship to be cleared to disembark passengers, so they collect them well ahead of time and retain them until they no longer have to show them.

Most ports accept electronic registration. I have never had to surrender my passport while waiting to get off a ship. I know that staff do not raid my safe for a passport that they may need

You obviously don't get it, or refuse to listen to the majority of the people here who have experience in this matter. No one is saying not to use your passport when going through required passport control points. That is when it should be on your person. But when it is not needed, it is safer in your stateroom safe. If you miss your ship, the cruise line knows who you are because your sea pass card will not have been swiped to get you back on board. If that happens, the ship's security staff will remove your passport from your safe and give it to their agent in the port, the very same person who you will be complaining loudly to that the captain has deliberately left you stranded. So, you will have it - courtesy of the ship's staff, even if it was in your safe - where it should be for safety.

I have been on two cruises where my passport had to be surrendered to the ship's officials. In some ports of call, such as in Ecuador, Peru and Chile, the ship must show every passenger's passport to the port officials in order for the ship to be cleared to disembark passengers, so they collect them well ahead of time and retain them until they no longer have to show them. You will spend your time ashore without your passport. If you refuse to surrender your passport, you are not allowed to leave the ship. Same thing happened during our 5-day Nile river cruise, as well as at every hotel we stayed at during the rest of our two week visit to Egypt.

By all means don't let logic get in the way of your opinions. Go right ahead and take your passport with you. I really don't care. It makes no difference to me that you don't place a high value on such an important document that you think it's safer to carry it around with you when you don't need it. Good luck with that. And don't forget to take all your cash, all your credit cards, and all your jewelry/valuables with you every time you go ashore - after all, what good is it all going to do for you if you don't have it with you as you are standing on the dock and watching your ship sail off into the sunset. I hope you also have your camera with you - it should make for an interesting photo! :rolleyes:

I get all of that......and I also have surrendered my passport many times.....

Your rant about cash / cc / jewelry was not appreciated....

What I stated ........and what I didn't get........is the advice to take a photocopy ashore. Why do you need a photocopy.......unless you think it will be accepted in place of your passport.........and there are folks that think this.......and they think getting the photocopy notarized will make it even more acceptable.....;)

We always bring a plastified copy of ours...

Really, all one needs to do is to make a photocopy of the 'face' page of their passport, keep it separate & apart from the passport, & carry the (photocopy) with you at all times, including ashore, while the passport is secured in the stateroom safe! ;)

Since when do you need a passport in Dubrovnik? I've been twice on two different cruise lines and have never heard this.

Well, since last May/June at least. We were on a P&O cruise from Southampton to Venice & back, including a call at Dubrovnik. We arrived at Gruz quaysides, got off the ship and into the shuttle bus for the ride to the edge of the old town. The coach drove across the quayside forward to the secure dock gate and stopped. At this point a Croatian immigration/border authority person got on the coach and walked down it, checking that everyone had a passport - we'd been advised on board that we had to take them. On ur bus everyone had them, so after she'd checked that everyone at least had them in their hands, she got off and waved the coach through. However I heard (from another passenger) that on another bus a couple of passengers didn't have theirs: they had to get off the bus before it was allowed though the gate. The passengers then had to go back to the ship: they weren't allowed into Croatia without their passports.

The chances of me not making it back to the ship or having a medical emergency that means I have to go home are infinately greater than me getting robbed at gunpoint while ashore. Why anyone takes a cruise to Mexico, or indeed, anywhere so flakey defeats me.

Even in the case in point, Carnival were helping with documents and so on. It wasn't the end of the world and I'd rather have the help of a cruise line to get me home than a useless photocopy of my passport in my hand as I watch the ship sail away.

I'll stick with taking my passport with me, thanks very much.

The obvious solution, for those who fancy a walk on the wild side but are totally paranoid about getting robbed is to get two passports. This is a valid practice if you will need to travel to Iran and Isreal or India and Pakistan, where they are not keen about you having been to visit "the enemy". Problem solved - one in the cabin, one with you.

Archived