best for novice snorkeling??

MiniMom57

We will be in Cozumel in 3 weeks and are looking for the best place to go snorkeling. We have a group of 7, and about half of them have never snorkeled, but want to try it. I have only snorkeled a few times, and feel much more confident in calmer water. My husband has snorkeled many times.

We have looked at Chankanaab but would love to hear about any other options (don't bother telling us about Playa Uvas....went there a couple years ago and were very unhappy with the experience)

Thanks in advance!:)

We will be in Cozumel in 3 weeks and are looking for the best place to go snorkeling. We have a group of 7, and about half of them have never snorkeled, but want to try it. I have only snorkeled a few times, and feel much more confident in calmer water. My husband has snorkeled many times.

We have looked at Chankanaab but would love to hear about any other options (don't bother telling us about Playa Uvas....went there a couple years ago and were very unhappy with the experience)

I've heard decent things about Playa Corona or the Money Bar.

While Chankanaab and Money Bar have excellent snorkeling, Playa Corona might be a better novice choice as its situated to be at the end of the reef and also has sandy floors on parts of it's beach. Currents at Money Bar can be a bit rough at times.

We'll be cruising in July and after reading reviews, looking at pics and a lot of Googling, I've decided to go to Chankanaab to snorkel for my first time. I've seen a few people complain that the beach is too "rocky", but it's the reefs there that are attracting the fish. :)

Here's a couple of links where CC members have posted beautiful pics and videos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kitsva/sets/72157628213424173/show/

http://kimbakersphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Chankanaab-Cozumel-Mexico/19147812_D5w3PP#!i=1491563924&k=PMtsWsq

Also, here is an online coupon for $2 off adults/$1 off kids admission in case you do decide to go: http://www.cozumelinsider.com/images/specials/ChankanaabCoupon.pdf

Unfortunately, I can't give you any person experience since I haven't gone yet, but hopefully this information helps somewhat.

Thanks,

Kim

Archived