Free Wifi on Magic?? 3g / 4g service?

Hope this isn't a stupid question but I have never been on a cruise yet so i am asking as much stuff as I can so I know what to take and what not.

Question is, does the Carnival Magic have free Wifi and if does what speed is it? Also, will my 3g or 4g service work that far from land?

Thanks

Internet in any form is not free on any cruise ship. You pay by the minute.

You will not get 3g or 4g service on board. You will be charged for data service by your cellphone provider and you should contact them to get an estimate of charges based on your use. It isn't unusual for unsuspecting folks to come home to a $1,000 phone bill because they didn't know being on a cruise ship cost more.

No free Wi-Fi. You can use the ships internet, which is uber expensive, and uber slow (like think early 2000's slow....)

Your 3G and 4G will not work out in the ocean... and if it did, you will be charged huge amounts of money from your cell phone company to use your phone.

I wish that this would change... that it did not cost so much to use internet. This is exactly why my husband cannot cruise. He does not want to pay the huge amounts of money that he would have to pay to work (he is a small business owner). If we found a cruise ship that would allow him to be able to get on the internet without breaking the bank, that would be awesome.

Have fun

Internet in any form is not free on any cruise ship. You pay by the minute.

You will not get 3g or 4g service on board. You will be charged for data service by your cellphone provider and you should contact them to get an estimate of charges based on your use. It isn't unusual for unsuspecting folks to come home to a $1,000 phone bill because they didn't know being on a cruise ship cost more.

WOW!! Man I'm glade I asked that question. Does the cabins have dvd or VCR players? I usually get my daily MASH episodes in using my Netflix on my phone but have several recorded episodes of MASH on VHS.

I own a small business and bring my laptop.

Have been paying $ 100 for 250 minutes on each cruise and think of it as cost of doing business. It is slow but allows me to keep up with my customers and suppliers.

You could consider internet cafe at ports.

WOW!! Man I'm glade I asked that question. Does the cabins have dvd or VCR players? I usually get my daily MASH episodes in using my Netflix on my phone but have several recorded episodes of MASH on VHS.

I don't know about the Magic but in other ships the only room with a DVD or VHS player are the suites. Some people bring their own DVD player and try to hook it up in the room.

I own a small business and bring my laptop.

Have been paying $ 100 for 250 minutes on each cruise and think of it as cost of doing business. It is slow but allows me to keep up with my customers and suppliers.

You could consider internet cafe at ports.

Ahhh yeah I was wondering how I was going to keep up with my accounts and such. It's funny how it's near impossible to find out info about this on Carnival website.

Does any of the on-board restaurants like McDonalds have Wifi?

The satellite connection on the Magic to provide internet to the guests is a 2.4 mb pipe... much better than on other ships but still very weak compared to broadband at home... and at home you're not sharing with 3690 other guests. I was able to measure a download speed of 136 k but that's the best I saw.

Cell phone service is provided by Cellular At Sea, a subset of Marlink. Data service is available to most carriers but it's WAY pricey... Here's a link to their web site:

http://www.cellularatsea.com/guest_services.htm

Here's the pricing structure for WIFI onboard...

• 480 minutes for $159

• 240 minutes for $89

• 120 minutes for $59

• 45 minutes for $29

• Pay As You Go: $0.75/min

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?icid=CC_Header_466#q-543512

Ahhh yeah I was wondering how I was going to keep up with my accounts and such. It's funny how it's near impossible to find out info about this on Carnival website.

Wifi is available on board. Free wifi doesn't exist on any carnival ship no matter where you are at. If you MUST connect to the internet you have to pay by the minute or use free wifi when you are off the ship at a port.

No, all Wifi is through the ship and costs and it is slow slow slow.

Also if you use your cell phone you will not only have a charge from your provider but also a charge from the Ship's cell phone provider "cellular at Sea"

Take a vacation and turn your phone off.

If people need the computer for Work then it is the cost of doing business imo, We check in from onshore cafe's that usually sell Wifi use for a much cheaper price and the rest of the time we just forget about it.

Question is, does the Carnival Magic have free Wifi and if does what speed is it?

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are. :rolleyes:

It's not free by a long shot, and the speed is comparable to a 300 baud modem.

Impossible? Went to Carnival's site. Clicked on FAQs. Put 'internet' into the search field and up came info to answer all your original questions.

Archived