Foreign currency Far East

roddyW

Hi,

Has anyone been to the far east with Costa Ex Singapore to Thailand and Malaysia?

If so what did you do about the different currencies?

Is it best to purchase here in the UK, on board or ashore in the different countries?

Also settling onboard account. I assume it is euros. Does Costa offer a reasonable exchange rate, sterling to euros or again should euros be purchased in the UK?

Thanking you for any info in adv

Don't change any money on Costa - very expensive - plus they don't buy any baht or ringgits back from you if you did. There are plenty of ATM's in these places - but if you don't feel comfortable using them - get some foreign currency to tide you over - and buy what you think you may need when you go ashore. Even if you run out - there are money changers everywhere if you were to take your normal currency. The onboard account is Euro - they usually ask for your card details when boarding - or you can pay a lump sum in currency up front. You can check your onboard account every day if you like to see how you're spends are going. This helps your budget along - so you know exactly where you are up to. Again - don't buy currency on the ship.

Hi,

Has anyone been to the far east with Costa Ex Singapore to Thailand and Malaysia?

If so what did you do about the different currencies?

Is it best to purchase here in the UK, on board or ashore in the different countries?

Also settling onboard account. I assume it is euros. Does Costa offer a reasonable exchange rate, sterling to euros or again should euros be purchased in the UK?

Thanking you for any info in adv

If Singapore is your starting point, I would get my currency from there. Baht and Ringetts are readily available from all the currency converters. Best prices we have found is the one outside Mustafa's in Little India. Mummsie

Good thinking Mummsie - forgot about Little India. Also the cruise centre has a good exchange rate as well if you haven't got time to go up to Little India.. I think they are pretty well governed in Singapore - so the price fluctuations are not excessive - not like good old Aus eh? Also they are governed in Malaysia and Thailand - the exchange rate is set by the Government - and all money changers are supposed to charge the same rate - they are pretty close for sure. You would get a much better rate in Singapore than the UK for sure. We were in the UK in Sept 2010 and couldn't believe the wide variances in exchange rates - and some have the nerve to charge a fee. OOoops - sounds like AUS - as it is the same here

Archived