Question about "accessible" rooms

Carlyzmom

Do the handicap accessible rooms only have larger bathrooms? I have never seen one. My folks have a OV deluxe reserved, but my mom will have a wheelchair and a little walker/scooter thing that she will have to put somewhere. Just wondering if the rooms themselves are a little larger? She can walk, but is very unsteady, so she will need to bring both.

Same size cabins and bathrooms. I guess there are a few odd ones like the 4Js, but mostly the same size.

there are 3 HCs levels, some just are modified .. be sure to get fully HC, so it has the wider doors in the bathroom and no ledge to get into it. We had one with a lip on Ecstasy which had the seat in the shower and bars, but had the lip into the bathroom itself

newer ships dont have the lip more so.

Hello all! I have been lurking these boards for some time and really wanted to post a reply to this topic so there... I registered. :D Been on two Carnival cruises so far. My only two cruises.

About your question, on my second cruise in Carnival Magic I was placed in a HC room without asking for it. It didn't need it anyway but liked it better than regular inside rooms. I was on 7342 which is located mid-ship. I don't know if the HC rooms in other locations or ship classes are different. Here are the differences as per Dream class design.

1. Right next to the mid-ship elevators. Best place for easy access to most of the ship but light sleepers may not like it because you will hear people walking around at almost any time of day and you can hear the elevator chimes. Wasn't a problem for me, though.

2. Room door does not face the long narrow corridor. Instead it faces cross corridor connecting both long corridors next to the elevator lobby. When you enter the room you face a wide room and not a narrow space between the closet and bathroom like in regular rooms. The door is in the long side of the room.

3. Room layout is different from a regular room. Mine (on port side) had the bathroom on the left. Bed was on the right facing the bathroom. You face the desk and mirror when you enter the room.

4. Absolutely no lip to enter bathroom and shower area. Shower is delimited by a drain grating on the floor and the curtain of course. There is a folding seat in the shower area.

5. Bathroom vanity is designed to get a wheelchair easily underneath. Sink has a long neck faucet and a long lever to make it more accessible. Plenty of room to manuever a wheelchair inside bathroom. I should say that the outlets in the bathroom are at the regular location and probably a bit hard to reach from a wheelchair.

6. Wider doors, both for the room and bathroom.

7. Room door has a second peep hole placed lower.

8. Room around king-sized bed may not be enough to get a wheelchair comfortably, though. One side of the bed it definitely not accessible at all and it's even hard to get for abled people. Area between bathroom, bed and desk has plenty of room, though.

9. Some closet space is sacrificed in the layout. Only two narrow closets are available and one of them is half taken by the bath robes and the life jackets.

Hope this helps.

Archived