Is Carnival really a low income cruise line?

Not even slightly... guess how yachts get to the Carib? People pass thru International Waters all the time going to the Bahamas...

Not to mention crossing the Pacific island hopping. Where did anyone get this idea? Little boats not infrequently go out into international waters.

I don't think Carnival is for "lower class" people. Sure, it's more affordable than some other lines but Carnival also goes to many ports that other lines won't even travel to. There are a lot more options.

We've about to book our 4th Carnival cruise and we've looked into other cruise lines. Carnival just fits us better. We go on vacation relax. We don't want to have to wear dress clothes just to walk around a ship. We would much rather be comfortable and Carnival offers the flexibility.

I've never seen anything outrageous on a cruise (other than our table mates on one cruise). Carnival has something for everyone. You'll have a great time.

Concerning you being in an interracial relationship, don't worry about it. If anyone has a problem with it, it's their problem and quite frankly anyone that has a problem with that sort of thing is ignorant in my opinion.

I've seen people of all races, sizes etc. cruising. I've seen married people, single people, people cruising with their elderly parents and I've even seen an older woman and her elderly mother wearing brightly colored matching leopard print outfits.

Your vacation is what you make of it.

So.....can we all get back to the OP's original post here? He asked if Carnival really was a low income cruise line. Last few posts have had little to do with the original question.

LOL! The last several PAGES have had nothing to do with the original post, due to pot-stirring posts by the OP himself!

Getting ready for my 4th cruise with Carnival in the past year. And have 3 more scheduled for this year. I rather sail a few times on than be pretentious and sail once because of the cost. Never had problems with Carnival and I will always have my own opinion. Can it be better? Sure! And we see Carnival is working on it with the new ships and refurbishing going on.... Have fun in your trip.

As for whether it's a low income cruise line, I disagree.

The question is what Is reasonable for one to pay for a nice vacation regardless of what your financial circumstances are.

In my case, I consider myself an upper miiddle classer, and have trouble swallowing the cost of one of the upper cruise lines. Especially since I don't think you get that much more compared to Carnival except a more snooty class of people. In my opinion, the ship, food, service, Cabin space, excursions, etc are all the same to me (and I've sailed both Princess and Carnival). In fact, I think the food is better on Carnival.

So in the end, it's what you value as the best deal for what you get. And for me, it always ends up Carnival.

As for whether it's a low income cruise line, I disagree.

The question is what Is reasonable for one to pay for a nice vacation regardless of what your financial circumstances are.

In my case, I consider myself an upper miiddle classer, and have trouble swallowing the cost of one of the upper cruise lines. Especially since I don't think you get that much more compared to Carnival except a more snooty class of people. In my opinion, the ship, food, service, Cabin space, excursions, etc are all the same to me (and I've sailed both Princess and Carnival). In fact, I think the food is better on Carnival.

So in the end, it's what you value as the best deal for what you get. And for me, it always ends up Carnival.

And let me add that on Carnival, you get to let your hair down and hang with a fun and diverse group of people.

Well said, trust me we are far from snobby people but at the same time I don't want to be around people cussing and getting drunk, etc etc.

I am not so much worried about it but my other half is now JUST because we are a Interracial Marriage. Have you guys noticed other similiar couples on the cruise?

Me and my husband are Interracial couple and this we are going on our third CC this April :) no one cares... there are all walks of life on a cruise ship, just like any vacation.. go in with a positive attitude and you will have an amazing time :) Cruise are the best vacation in the world ( at least we think soo:D)

OP, why on earth would you worry about what your friends say? YOU know you better than anyone knows you. Here's the deal. DH and I make plenty enough money that we could book X, Regent, Crystal, et al. But we don't. We are not stuff shirts and loathe being around people who are. We don't book X, HAL or Princess, or any other higher end line, because we like to have a good time. We don't want the carpets rolled up at 9PM and we don't want to be around a lot of pretentious people who have their nose so far in the air that we can see grey matter.

If you are in the same category as DH and I, you'll have a blast on Carnival. If you are in the latter group, you'd do well to cancel and rebook elsewhere. You'll be miserable. I promise. Because yes, Carnival caters to people from all walks of life.

FWIW, some of our dearest friends are RCI "snobs", which is all kinda funny in many ways. They wouldn't think of booking Carnival. So be it. We still love 'em to death and they us :) They know what our economic situation is and know we love Carnival for what it is. To each his own.

Amen, gurlfriend!:D

I have been on several cruises, (HAL, NCL, Princess) .... I too had heard negative things about Carnival. Well in 2010 we decided to give them a go (Legend) with our kids... we had a ball. Later that year we booked another cruise on the Splendor (YES THAT CRUISE). Even though we were unfortunately on the ill fated Splendor trip, we were so impressed by the way Carnival handled the situation we just booked our "free" Carnival cruise ... we will be sailing on the Carnival Victory this coming October. Don't listen to the nay sayers. Carnival is indeed home of the "Fun Ships". The entertainment is terrific and I didn't notice any difference in the passengers from cruise line to another. Enjoy Your Trip;)

Dang! The best deal I've found for a balcony is a bit over $100 a night PP...and that is in the off season! Care to share any secrets for finding these deals? ;)

We've always booked a year ahead of time, and cruised what I consider off season, except the upcoming cruise, where I'd say we booked pretty last minute (we missed pack and go by one week- I'm so mad about this, since I am not eligible for the price drop!). One time we used military rate, once we did early saver. This recent one was past guest. We book through a credit card, so we either get to use points (not this time...) or get 5% cashback bonus. The first cruise we got a balcony, second we had to settle for an OV- which I was totally happy with but DH didn't care for, this one we have a balcony again. $100/night is my budget, so we take what we can get for it. Longer cruises seem to offer a better per night rate though. I won't cruise in an inside though. I'm a "homebody" and we spend time in our room watching DVDs. I'm not the type to agree with "you'll never even be in there", so inside is not for me.

this started when they starting targeting their advertising toward the appalacian american.

downgraded the dress code, lowered the fares, and jacked up the liquor prices.

and they came.

just look at the bath robes in the mdr now.

Can you spell? Careful or you will be labeled as one of those "less than desirable" travelers especially when using "Appalachia". By the way is an Appalachian American something less than, say , a New England American?

We've always booked a year ahead of time, and cruised what I consider off season, except the upcoming cruise, where I'd say we booked pretty last minute (we missed pack and go by one week- I'm so mad about this, since I am not eligible for the price drop!). One time we used military rate, once we did early saver. This recent one was past guest. We book through a credit card, so we either get to use points (not this time...) or get 5% cashback bonus. The first cruise we got a balcony, second we had to settle for an OV- which I was totally happy with but DH didn't care for, this one we have a balcony again. $100/night is my budget, so we take what we can get for it. Longer cruises seem to offer a better per night rate though. I won't cruise in an inside though. I'm a "homebody" and we spend time in our room watching DVDs. I'm not the type to agree with "you'll never even be in there", so inside is not for me.

Yes, we very much enjoy our downtime, too, so a balcony is a must for us.

Good point on using a cash back credit card...we really should look into that prior to booking. We are credit card debt free, but I would consider using a card (and then immediately paying it off) for the perks.

Still, though. We are going late November/early December in the lowest class balcony and our rate is way above your average...and I thought that was a great price based on my extensive research.

Thanks for the tips!

I wonder what is considered low income these days. We have sailed NCL and HAL and will be sailing Carnival for the first time on the Liberty in April. To be honest, yes, I was a little apprehensive about booking our next vacation on Carnival but the dates and itinerary worked best on the Liberty so I did it. I guess I will find out soon enough for myself.

I wonder what is considered low income these days. We have sailed NCL and HAL and will be sailing Carnival for the first time on the Liberty in April. To be honest, yes, I was a little apprehensive about booking our next vacation on Carnival but the dates and itinerary worked best on the Liberty so I did it. I guess I will find out soon enough for myself.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

That is an extremely disrespectful comment. Do you post comments and threads on here to isolate people?? :mad:

Does Carnival attract the lowest class of people askes the OP. Well if Wrigley80 cruises with them then the answer is yes because that comment is a classless as you will ever read. Sad little person

I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks! I sure hope so! And by the way, I didn't think HAL was all that. Boring and yet NOT upper classy by any means! Although the destination (Alaska) was amazing, I'm curious to find out why it's "considered" higher class cruising.

Good point on using a cash back credit card...we really should look into that prior to booking. We are credit card debt free, but I would consider using a card (and then immediately paying it off) for the perks.

.and I thought that was a great price based on my extensive research.

Probably is a great price. Likely a totally different ship/itinerary than what I did. I think the Jan. 1 cruises are always a bit lower since they just had the mega buck Christmas cruises.

Not only do we use a cash back card, we've found if we book through the credit card TA we get bonus cash back, if we don't use a rewards points certificate. We always put a cash back card as our sign and sail card as well (though we rarely spend more than tips on that...) Like you, we are debt free, but we use the cards for incentives.

Archived