Carnival Dream 2/18 - Western - Not bad, but certainly not very good...

DetroitMike1

FYI -- Someone had brought up reviews... I didn't add pictures here, because most of those types of reviews have all pictures of the reviewer and their family and friends... IMHO, those pics are not too helpful in terms of judging a ship. Probably best on a personal page or FB page.

However, one of the BEST reviews that I have seen to date is being finished up now... It is a comprehensive review of the ship itself -- the guy took about 5000 pictures of what seems to be nearly every square inch of the ship. A MUST SEE if anyone is interested!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1550338

It was late Oct 2008 and we were sailing on Carnival out of Tampa. We have no problem with them but a lot depends on the time of year and itinerary. We were doing the Western Caribbean. Not the best off ports but we didn't care because we like to cruise and the price was great. From that cruise we found that because of the price being so great you get a lot of groups, family reunions and others looking for a cheap vacation. There lies the problem. What was save on the fare was made up by what was spent at the bar, plus many of the groups had the alcohol package.

The dining room was the equivalent of a HS cafeteria. The groups would talk to the people at the other tables. People at one end would call out to others at the other end. it was so loud you couldn't talk to the person next to you. Many passengers would call out orders for more food to the waiter while he was at another table. Some even grabbed a waiter as he walked by and took stuff off the tray.

It seemed as if everyone was always pushing ahead or taking cuts because they were with someone that was further up the line.

Every venue was overcrowded by groups or families and seats were always being saved. Couldn't enjoy the shows because of all the talking. There wasn't even any peace sitting on the balcony as people would holler or call out to someone all day and night. I guess they never figured out how to use the phone.

We learned a lot from that cruise. If it is cheap and doing the W Carribean stay away.

Mike.....I didn't see where you said if you had cruised before or not. Had you recently been on Carnival either on the Dream or another ship recently before this cruise? Reason I ask.....we went on a several cruises within a few years all on sister ships that were pretty much identical (Fantasy, Sensation, Paradise) and at the end it was getting a little old...like going back to the same hotel over and over. Then we went on a RCL cruise which was fresh and a little different...especially the ship (mariner of the seas)...but unfortunately our son didn't have a very good time because he didn't find any friends to hang out with. Then last summer for his high school graduation we took him and 2 of his friends on the Dream and we all had a fantastic time. Now we were thinking about taking the same cruise on the Dream this fall but it does kind of worry me that maybe it won't seem as fresh and new and will end up being a little disappointing. Has this happened to anyone?

I love each cruise, but I know what you are saying about repeats. I think a first cruise on a ship is a tad more interesting as you seek out things and find new places on board.

It was late Oct 2008 and we were sailing on Carnival out of Tampa. We have no problem with them but a lot depends on the time of year and itinerary. We were doing the Western Caribbean. Not the best off ports but we didn't care because we like to cruise and the price was great. From that cruise we found that because of the price being so great you get a lot of groups, family reunions and others looking for a cheap vacation. There lies the problem. What was save on the fare was made up by what was spent at the bar, plus many of the groups had the alcohol package.

The dining room was the equivalent of a HS cafeteria. The groups would talk to the people at the other tables. People at one end would call out to others at the other end. it was so loud you couldn't talk to the person next to you. Many passengers would call out orders for more food to the waiter while he was at another table. Some even grabbed a waiter as he walked by and took stuff off the tray.

It seemed as if everyone was always pushing ahead or taking cuts because they were with someone that was further up the line.

Every venue was overcrowded by groups or families and seats were always being saved. Couldn't enjoy the shows because of all the talking. There wasn't even any peace sitting on the balcony as people would holler or call out to someone all day and night. I guess they never figured out how to use the phone.

We learned a lot from that cruise. If it is cheap and doing the W Carribean stay away.

Your experience is much different than ours.

Never have seen lots of yelling in the DR or loads of pushy people on a Carnival cruise.

In fact seems to me that over the past few years Carnival is attracting a better class of customer.

Your experience is much different than ours.

Never have seen lots of yelling in the DR or loads of pushy people on a Carnival cruise.

In fact seems to me that over the past few years Carnival is attracting a better class of customer.

I was just pointing out one cruise out of over 20 that we have taken on Carnival.

We still sail on Carnival but are a litle more selective of where and when. If that was my first Carnival cruise I would have never gone back. Most times it is the passengers that make the cruise and not the cruise line. The problem for getting a lot of rowdies is due to the price, time of year, and itinerary. Western Caribbean always seemed to more of a party type cruise than the others because of the ports and price. The cruise discussed was under $600 pp for a balcony on a 7 day cruise and that wasn't for the lowest balcony cat.

Alaska, New England, Panama Canal, Hawaii and etc will not have the rowdies or the type that is always associated with Carnival.

Which ship were you on? Obviously, you didn't sail on the Dream, but if you were on a ship that had several large cruising groups on board, you would possibly experience that behavior. the cruise was probably cheap due to it coming during hurrican season, when anything can happen . Also take note that there have been many changes in the ports and port amenities in the Western C. since 2008. Just saying. Not that that might sway you to changing your mind on a Western C. cruise, if you don't like the ports regardless.

I was on the same cruise and feel about the same about it. This was my 10th Carnival cruise ( I am a fan) but this cruise was just ok. Last year on the Miracle was some of the best food I have had on Carnival. We were traveling with some "royal Loyal" friends. They liked the food so much that that didn't feel the need to go to the specialty restaurant. (which they always do on royal). The Dream only had 2 pools. none of which were adult only. No shrimp cocktail every night. The prime rib was terrible. The Mardi Gras party (which was actually on Mardi Greas) was an accident waiting to happen--people reaching for beads from the top of the atrium. The laser show was not worth it. Ship seemed crowded. I will sail on Carnival again--don't know if it was just an off week or this is Carnival scaling down.

The cruise discussed was under $600 pp for a balcony on a 7 day cruise and that wasn't for the lowest balcony cat.

wow, that's a great price! wish I'd seen that.

I hate to be negative, but I do have a new rule... no Carnival cruise less than 7 days. The short ones seem to attract the party whoo hoo people, (when I was 20 I was one of those!). However, to date, all my 7 day Carnival cruises have been outstanding, much more sedate crowd.

Last November went on a 4 day RCL western caribbean .... nice crowd, very few woo hoo partiers. :)

You may want to consider getting a suite and taking your meals there if you want a more intimate, quiet atmosphere. Or eat at the steakhouse. I'm counting on my quiet coffee and rolls each morning from our balcony, and a late night snifter of brandy from there as well.

Archived