Passport question

ksmommyof4

DH and I have cruised once before we did a 7 day Carnival Liberty Western to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. We did not get passports but got the passport card instead because of price. We are thinking of taking our 4 boys on a cruise in 2013. I want for all of us to get passports. My question is how do Dh and I go about it since we already have the card? Do we have to get the passport like any other time? Or is there a discount or whatever? Just wondering about it Thanks

One other thought- unless you are planning on flying internationally in the future, evaluate whether you really need the passport book. Passport card works for land based travel and is cheaper and doesn't run out of stampable pages.

The problem with the passport card on a cruise is that it is pretty much useless - it can only be used for identification.

Should you run into any issues (missed the ship, medical emergency, etc) and need to fly to the next port or home, the card will not allow you to do that....

The two of you can do a renewal by mail to obtain your passport books using the passport card as your 'original'. If the cards have not expired they will be returned to you without cancellation.

For the kids, you will all need to appear in front of a passport agent with the full list of documentation for a first-time passport application.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

Archived