What is the earliest I can board?

aeh88

My DH and I are going on the Epic in early December. I know this is a long way out, but I managed to book a red-eye flight that should get me in by 5:45am. (I know that everyone cautions that we should leave an extra day, but we live in Seattle and to get a non-stop flight to Miami, the only reasonable option was the red-eye.) I am just wondering when I can go to the port in order to board. Obviously I don't expect it to be open when we arrive, but I want to know how much time we are going to have before. Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do in Miami at 6:00am, I would be all ears.

I'm thinking of sailing with NCL for the 1st time sometime (hopefully) soon and I've been wondering the same thing. I know cruise docs normally say that boarding isn't until about 1-2pm but I've always been onboard by (at the earliest) 11am. :D I wasn't sure though if it would be the same on NCL because of the "Freestyle" Debarkation which I take to mean that you can hang around onboard much later and so the previous passengers wouldn't be off the ship until around 11 (or even later). Am I right here?

Thanks for asking aeh88 and I hope you have a great cruise!!!! :D

I believe they open the terminal for new passengers beginning around 10 a.m. That said, you will not be boarding at that time. Probably will be closer to 11:30 a.m. Rooms generally are not ready until 1:45 to 2 p.m. but you will be able to check your carry-on items in a lounge. You can still walk around the ship, eat etc. We brought our swimsuits and took advantage of the slides. Rode them as many times as we wanted with no waiting.

I second the suggestion to find a nice place to eat breakfast.

And, no, you cannot just hang around for as long as you want on disembarkation day.

Similiar experience with Princess

Princess took early arrivers to local hotel where one met other travelers for coffee and goodies for the morning

I would call NCL and see if they have a similiar program

Also check with the French Canadians - they have NCL down to an art. You will see when you are on board how well they manipulate the system.

Regards

My DH and I are going on the Epic in early December. I know this is a long way out, but I managed to book a red-eye flight that should get me in by 5:45am. (I know that everyone cautions that we should leave an extra day, but we live in Seattle and to get a non-stop flight to Miami, the only reasonable option was the red-eye.) I am just wondering when I can go to the port in order to board. Obviously I don't expect it to be open when we arrive, but I want to know how much time we are going to have before. Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to what to do in Miami at 6:00am, I would be all ears.

We had an early flight and got to the Port of Miami at 7:00 and had to wait outside until 8:00 then security let us wait inside, but we could not go thru the x-ray machine's until just before 10:00. If I had that same situation I would get breakfest at the Airport and plan to arrive around 9:30.

Don't rush off the plane, just saunter along to baggage carousal, get your bags. Then breakfast at the airport sounds about the best idea. Take your time them plan on leaving the airport by taxi after ten. That way the wait at the cruise terminal won't be too long.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of options for restaurants outside of security (once you pick up your bags) in the Miami Airport. The best the American Airlines terminal has to offer is a small Au Bon Pain with some seating and a limited menu; I'm not sure what's available in other terminals but it's probably about the same.

If you're depending on taxis for transport, one option might be to take a taxi to any nearby airport hotel. You could leave your bags with the bell stand, eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant, then be assured of having a taxi line outside the hotel for your transport to the pier.

Archived