Stewards had a clipboard on cart clearly showing who had not paid tips

picklebongo

And none of the cruise documents or contracts state the passengers MUST TIP OR PAY the cruise lines employees.

This is from the cruise documents I received when doing online checkin:

GRATUITY PAYMENT INFORMATION

For your convenience, we are automatically adding the gratuities for your dining and stateroom services to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount will be USD 11.50 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline), and will be distributed amongst the service team. You have complete discretion to adjust these gratuities while onboard.

Wherever you go to the cruise booking the have port charges and fees in the total. No where in that total are any of the recommended tips.

You might stumble on some other sight to find the tips the cruise wants you to pay.

If the price of the cruise included the tips, you would know what the cruise lines want you to pay up front.

Seems pretty clear to me:

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=gratuities#q-544396

This is from the cruise documents I received when doing online checkin:

GRATUITY PAYMENT INFORMATION

For your convenience, we are automatically adding the gratuities for your dining and stateroom services to your onboard Sail & Sign account. The total amount will be USD 11.50 per guest, per day (our recommended guideline), and will be distributed amongst the service team. You have complete discretion to adjust these gratuities while onboard.

You get this after you book the cruise.

This is recommended, not mandatory.

There will always be a percentage of people who will stiff servers

My son worked thru his college days at a chain resturant ( bone fish )

A nice place , good food not cheap but not to expensive

He now is a GM for them and in time will own one

He and his employees which I know tell me about 20 % of the people stiff them

It got to be he could tell before dinner was up who was going be cheap

Knowing that it was his decision to stay , at the end of the day he made a good living at it

Plus I think if someone would do something as disgusting as clean your toilet with your toothbrush, I think they should be fired. There is no excuse for that. What kind of a person does that? Same with people who spit in your food and urinate in the coffee pot. It takes a special kind of nasty to do that...

I think its disgusting that people cannot tip properly

Myself I would pay a 25% up charge on my auto tips for the guarantee that the staff knows who tips and who doesnt.That would be a fun cruise to be on

If you walk into a Chili’s, a Red Lobster, a Morton’s, a Holiday Inn, or a Marriott, you don’t hand them a tip as soon as you walk in the door. No, you tip the wait staff and or housekeeping staff AFTER a service has been performed. The cruise industry is the only industry in the world that wants you to prepay your tips before any service has been performed or goods delivered. I think most folks have no problem with tipping if the service is anything but terrible; its how the tip is collected that upsets some cruisers – myself included.

The whole concept of a tip is to reward someone for doing a good job in their interactions with you; NOT to supplement their income. Please don't use the argument that "they need the tips in order to supplement their pay and to survive." They chose to work for the cruise line and I doubt anyone held a gun to their head and made them take that particular job. I'm also sure they knew what the pay was when they signed the employment contract.

Flame away folks ! =)

If you walk into a Chili’s, a Red Lobster, a Morton’s, a Holiday Inn, or a Marriott, you don’t hand them a tip as soon as you enter. No, you tip the wait staff and or housekeeping staff AFTER a service has been performed.

The cruise industry is the only industry in the world that wants you to prepay your tips before any service has been performed. The whole concept of a tip is to reward someone for doing a good job in their interaction with you.

I think most folks have no problem with tipping; its how the tip is collected that upsets some cruisers – myself included.

I have never been made to pay tips before I got onto a ship.I choose to prepay

Does every booking site or TA have this information have readily available?

Not all cruisers go to Carnival's website to book a cruise?

Any travel agent worth their salt should have all the pertinent information regarding your vacation. I also think that it is the travellers responsibility to know beforehand how much their vacation will cost. When DH and I went on our first cruise many moons ago, we knew full well that we needed cash to pay our tips. That was when there was no internet to book your cruise on. Pretty sure that anyone who books nowadays knows that they are expected to pay gratuities.

If you walk into a Chili’s, a Red Lobster, a Morton’s, a Holiday Inn, or a Marriott, you don’t hand them a tip as soon as you walk in the door. No, you tip the wait staff and or housekeeping staff AFTER a service has been performed. The cruise industry is the only industry in the world that wants you to prepay your tips before any service has been performed or goods delivered. I think most folks have no problem with tipping if the service is anything but terrible; its how the tip is collected that upsets some cruisers – myself included.

The whole concept of a tip is to reward someone for doing a good job in their interactions with you; NOT to supplement their income. Please don't use the argument that "they need the tips in order to supplement their pay and to survive." They chose to work for the cruise line and I doubt anyone held a gun to their head and made them take that particular job. I'm also sure they knew what the pay was when they signed the employment contract.

Flame away folks ! =)

I agree.

I will tell you on my cruises my room stewarts have been very good. I never felt that their service was bad that I felt warrented in removing any of the auto tips. Some were great that they got extra tips.

Interesting thread, troll or no troll, I do think it is something to address.

Personally, I liked it better in the old days when you actually tipped your server, room steward, etc...based on guidelines given by the cruiseline and payed the server directly. We never used the somelier on a cruise so we never tipped him. Occasionally we would tip the head of the MDR if he would come over and speak to us, I would tip the cocktail servers extra in the MDR when they would remember from night to night what I liked to drink before and after dinner. Sometimes we would give our room steward a little money at the beginning of the cruise to make sure we had extra towels, etc... you get the idea.

As for the voluntary tipping, I dont know how many people reduce or remove their tips from their bill in America, but I do know that tipping is not commonplace in other countries, specifically in Europe, tipping really is voluntary and according to most people we spoke to while travelling abroad tipping servers is rare. We always tipped while traveling through Europe and I can tell you that the workers/servers are very appreciative.

Whatever, it's different now and they have auto tip and you can choose to take your tip off or reduce it, but to me, the very idea of not tipping someone who is waiting on me, who is away from home sometimes for months at a time, who may have a spouse or children depending upon them to send money home, and who come from a place where the majority of the people who live there will never be able to EVER take a vacation let alone a luxury cruise....well to me, that is just unforgivable. I dont care if they didnt give you the service that you expected. I have worked in retail and restaurants my whole life and the one thing that I have learned is you never know what is going on in someone's life when they are waiting on you. Their child could be sick, they could be sick, maybe their mother just died, or maybe their home is in forclosure. You cant judge a server by the service that they give you one time and just say "oh, this person is an ass and if he hates his job then why doesnt he just quit!" People need to take a step back and see the human side of this person. Ask yourself, are you always friendly and personable in your own job back home when you arent on vacation?

Why am I referred to as a troll when I posted something that is very legitimate that folks might not be aware of, stewards know who remove tips and those that don't. It was just a piece of information and if others start debating who is tipping, dipping toothbrushes in the toilet and such, how is that my fault?

Any travel agent worth their salt should have all the pertinent information regarding your vacation. I also think that it is the travellers responsibility to know beforehand how much their vacation will cost. When DH and I went on our first cruise many moons ago, we knew full well that we needed cash to pay our tips. That was when there was no internet to book your cruise on. Pretty sure that anyone who books nowadays knows that they are expected to pay gratuities.

Unforntunately not all TA or Carnival employees provide this infomation.

Again when travelers do any research they will discover that the tips are RECOMMENDED and NOT MANDATORY.

Flame away folks ! =)

I beg to differ with you, although I dont know how tips were "conceived" I do know that it most definitely IS a supplement to their income, and they are taxed on it as such. When I worked as a waitress, my pay from the restaurant was $1.86 per hour, out of that the restaurant took 30 cents for food that we ate before or after our shift (we were allowed to order certain inexpensive food before our shift, but were never credited if we didnt eat). My point is, I never would have worked there if I didnt know and have the expectation of making a certain amount of tips. I am sure that when the cruise servers sign their contracts that it is spelled out that they are going to recieve a certain amount of their pay in tips before they sign and it must be worth it to them to receive such a measly salary. Therefore when the tip isnt given, their wages really do suffer.

If the cruise ship, or even your local diner had to be expected to pay a "living wage" for the people who work there we would not be able to afford to sail or eat there, hence no one would go on the ship or to the restaurant and they would close up shop.

Why am I referred to as a troll when I posted something that is very legitimate that folks might not be aware of, stewards know who remove tips and those that don't. It was just a piece of information and if others start debating who is tipping, dipping toothbrushes in the toilet and such, how is that my fault?

:oI wasnt referring to you as a troll!!! I was saying that even though some might think this was trolling it was a worthwhile topic! Sorry you took it wrong.

If the cruise ship, or even your local diner had to be expected to pay a "living wage" for the people who work there we would not be able to afford to sail or eat there, hence no one would go on the ship or to the restaurant and they would close up shop.

Why? if my balcony costs $1099 and I know my tips will be ~$100, and that is considered to be a living wage, clearly charging $1199 and making tips be truley gratuitious wouldn't make it unaffordable...

And none of the cruise documents or contracts state the passengers MUST TIP OR PAY the cruise lines employees.

Of course they don't say you MUST TIP OR PAY because you don't have to! You also don't have to tip a server in a restaurant but the expectation is there as well. Do you go into Red Lobster and tell your server you're not going to tip them because your tip should be included in the price of the meal and that's why you're stiffing them but still expect the same service as the table who is going to give them $10? The cruiseline docs and website say exactly what is needed to be said, that a tip is expected and will be added to your bill automatically but you can change that if you so desire. I don't think that is misleading to anyone with an IQ above 60!

Plus I think if someone would do something as disgusting as clean your toilet with your toothbrush, I think they should be fired. There is no excuse for that. What kind of a person does that? Same with people who spit in your food and urinate in the coffee pot. It takes a special kind of nasty to do that...

The same kind of nasty that causes someone to remove all of the auto-tips just because a cup of coffee was lukewarm ONE morning or you didn't like the animal towel that was created for you by the cabin steward. Yeah, that kind of nasty!

Wherever you go to the cruise booking the have port charges and fees in the total. No where in that total are any of the recommended tips.

You might stumble on some other sight to find the tips the cruise wants you to pay.

If the price of the cruise included the tips, you would know what the cruise lines want you to pay up front.

STUMBLE onto some OTHER site?? How about reading the cruise documents that Carnival and every other cruise line provide. Has ALL the info you need on what is expected.

So, what do trolls enjoy eating? I've always been curious but never met one to ask....until now!

Flame away folks ! =)

The only situation on a cruise where tips are prepaid is if the passenger chooses to prepay the tips with their final payment. Otherwise the tips are charged the last evening of the cruise and the crew doesn't get their tips until after you have gone home (same applies to the prepaid tips as well).

Also to add to the comments where people have said if you can't afford to tip you can't afford the cruise. One other thing to consider, if that person is so short they can't afford the tip, which is a modest amount when you consider the service you get, what would happen if they got sick or had an accident and had to pay for treatment at some port or missed the ship? I can't imagine taking a vacation and not having enough extra money available in case something happened. Even if they had insurance, chances are they would have to pay up front for treatment and then get reimbursed later.

Why? if my balcony costs $1099 and I know my tips will be ~$100, and that is considered to be a living wage, clearly charging $1199 and making tips be truley gratuitious wouldn't make it unaffordable...

But they would have to charge more than $1199. You'll have to pay taxes on that extra $100. The cruiseline has to pay more for the travel agent's commission based on the price of the cruise. And unless all the cruiselines do this, they cannot advertise their price at starting at $1099 like the other lines will do.

also you might have to pay more for your travel insurance if it's based on what you pay....probably a lot of other items that I haven't throught of.

But they would have to charge more than $1199. You'll have to pay taxes on that extra $100. The cruiseline has to pay more for the travel agent's commission based on the price of the cruise. And unless all the cruiselines do this, they cannot advertise their price at starting at $1099 like the other lines will do.

also you might have to pay more for your travel insurance if it's based on what you pay....probably a lot of other items that I haven't throught of.

Exactly right! Good point.:D

The same kind of nasty that causes someone to remove all of the auto-tips just because a cup of coffee was lukewarm ONE morning or you didn't like the animal towel that was created for you by the cabin steward. Yeah, that kind of nasty!

I don't think it's the same kind of "nasty" but sure, okay. As far as a mean spirited petty person, yes, that is also nasty. I think that "payback" of any sort is mean spirited. I never suggested that people don't tip in ANY of my posts. I think that taking off the tips or not tipping the minimum is wrong for just about any reason. However, I don't want my personal belongings/child to be in the hands of anyone who thinks that doing illegal acts of "payback" are appropriate for someone not tipping you in ADVANCE of your great service. I really don't understand how normal people don't see this as wrong. When your babysitter comes over, and you've agreed on a price of $40 for the night but you secretly know you've got $50 to give her if you come home and the kids are in bed and the house is still in one peice, would you consider it "getting whats coming to you" if something has happened to your children because you didn't inform her ahead of time that you were going to give her the $50??? When your children receive E-Coli because your babysitter purposefully did "nasty" things to your belongings because she ASSUMED you weren't going to tip, is the general concensus that *everyone* involved was "nasty" and therefore justice was served??

The only situation on a cruise where tips are prepaid is if the passenger chooses to prepay the tips with their final payment. Otherwise the tips are charged the last evening of the cruise and the crew doesn't get their tips until after you have gone home (same applies to the prepaid tips as well).

Also to add to the comments where people have said if you can't afford to tip you can't afford the cruise. One other thing to consider, if that person is so short they can't afford the tip, which is a modest amount when you consider the service you get, what would happen if they got sick or had an accident and had to pay for treatment at some port or missed the ship? I can't imagine taking a vacation and not having enough extra money available in case something happened. Even if they had insurance, chances are they would have to pay up front for treatment and then get reimbursed later.

On both Carnival cruises I've been on [Victory from San Juan and Elation from New Orleans] the full amount of the tips were on my Sign And Sail account within 8 hours of boarding the ship. When I asked about this practice I was told that it's done as a "courtesy” for passengers so that their vacations are not interrupted by having to hand out gratuity envelopes with cash to the appropriate crew on the ship. I was also told that since my last name begins with a “C” and I’m at the beginning of the alphabet I would be one of the first passengers to see the charge on my S&S account.

I have no problem with tipping, but what burns my behind is the assumption that Carnival makes. If the entire crew is assured that they will receive the full and complete suggested tip, then the motivation to provide superior service is gone. That is a fact, not an opinion.

On a side note, I think if you follow the threads on this forum pertaining to the MDR's on Carnival's ships, that the general consensus is that service and attention to detail in the dining rooms is going down, not up !

Archived