Traveling with son's friends

GJM

We are thinking of going on LOS in April, it would be DH & I in a balcony cabin, our son and 2 friends across the hall in an inside cabin. We have never taken friends with us before.

Would we be able to have access to their cabin and them to ours. I know I have to book it with and adult in each room.

Other's that have done this, did you feel comfortable with them in another cabin, and did you just set up times to meet or check in. Our son is 12 and his friends just turned 14.

Any opinions on this I would love.

Just remember that you are 100% responsible for what the friends do while onboard, so choose carefully. Make sure you REALLY know these boys, and the manner in which they have been raised. At that age they will likely be on their own around the ship at times and you need to be able to count on good behavior without adult supervision every minute.

If they were across the hall, at that age, I'd be ok with them in their own cabin...after all, he has his own room at home, doesn't he?...the halls are narrow..just steps away. I would have very "set" plans....and times for them to meet up with me. They would NOT be allowed to just go wherever and whenever they wanted to....I'd allow enough freedom to go to their activites, and then, back to physically check in with me.

I, too, would be a bit concerned with the age difference....there IS a big difference between 12 and 14....and I know that 14 year old boys will be hot after any girls they see,and they will want to show off for your younger son....it's the nature of the beast! Just keep your eye on them!

Also, remember that you must have permission slip from friend's parents giving you permission to take them on cruise and giving you permission to get medical attention, is necessary.

I am not sure of the clubs for kids, but there is different age groups that meet together. There is that possibility that your child will not be allowed with the 14 year olds at the teen clubs. Again not sure of the age requirements.

grand daughter has taken her friends before and she really had great time.

Her cabin was directly accross the hall from her parents and nothing was said about having adult in cabin first and then switching.

With your stateroom across the hall from the kids, you won't be required to book an adult in each cabin. By the way, there are two balcony/oceanview configurations on the Liberty that are connecting staterooms. They are located on Deck 9, and very forward. April is coming up quickly, so availability may be an issue, but I like the idea of connecting staterooms.

There will be Adventure Ocean activities for the three of them together (from RCI's website in bold): Ages 12 to 14

Get active with rock climbing competitions, dodgeball and Dance Dance Revolution, then take it down a notch at BBQs and movie nights. Plus, the chance to let your star shine with open mic nights, talent shows and Scratch DJ Academy. However, the 12 year old won't be permitted in the teen only lounge and nightclub hangouts. I would make sure they are aware of how to phone your stateroom, either from out and about on the ship or from their cabin. And definitely set your expectations of them, to be responsible, to be courteous to others at all times, including setting a curfew time and how room service works, etc. In addition to the important permission from the friends parents, I'd want to know that adequate travel insurance is in place for everyone. Travelguard offers comprehensive (primary) coverage, and their Gold Plan would include your son (age 17 and under) at no additional cost.

Thank you everyone for the replies - the two friends are actually brothers (twins) so he couldn't just pick one without the other and he is friends with both.

Funny I never even thought about it, but his room at home is probably further away from our room then the cabins would be. I would love connecting rooms but the interior is cheaper for the three of them.

Archived