sun restaurants

sabaka

We are going on the Sun in 2 weeeks and are wondering about the personal choice dining. We have sailed on the Diamond and they have several restaurants to choose from. Only 1 is an extra fee. How many personal choice restaurats are on the Sun and are any an extra fee?

The Sun Princess has two main dining rooms, one for Traditional dining, and one for Personal Choice. I don't recall their names at the moment.

In the evenings, they often set up a part of the Lido as an extra-cost Sterling Steakhouse.

The Sun (and her sisters) is a nice sized ship, and has an "easy" deck plan.

We sailed the Sun on 1/28 and did PC dining and it couldn't have worked out any better.They didn't allow us to make a reservation between 6-8pm so on the 2nd. night,we made a standing reservation with the same waiter and table at 8 and it was smooth sailing from that point on.We had a table for 2 and it was great to be able to just walk past the crowd at the front door directly to our awaiting table.:rolleyes:

I think the name of the PC dining room is Marquis but I could be mistaken.Since it's an older,smaller ship,the dining choices are somewhat limited but this size of ship makes it a great choice.Besides the Horizon Court (which a portion of which is dramatically transformed into Sterling's steakhouse in the evenings),there is always the option of terrific pizza & calzones in the pizzeria.

You certainly won't starve:eek: ...have a great cruise!

you cannot make reservations ahead of time....we head right to the dining room after we check in and also make a "standing" reservation with the maitre'd....we always "slip" him $10-20 and find that they remember us and give us unparalleled service for the entire cruise; we are always asked what we like that the chef can prepare "special" for us, which has resulted in my husband getting escargot every night of the cruise...special souffles when they're not on the menu, etc. we LOVED our cruise on the sun on 1/18/05.....i'm sure u will, too.

be sure to check out the pizzeria (inside)...the pizza is delicious..they're open for dinner with an expanded menu as well.

enjoy!

nancy

you cannot make reservations ahead of time....we head right to the dining room after we check in and also make a "standing" reservation with the maitre'd....we always "slip" him $10-20 and find that they remember us and give us unparalleled service for the entire cruise

We sailed on the Sun 2 years ago, had a wonderful time and enjoyed the ship very much. We love the Personal Choice dining and just like Nancy we go see the maitre'd as soon as possible, we give him $20 and we make a standing reservation for 8 pm every night of the cruise. We always ask him to give us a great waiter. Every time we have done this the maitre'd comes to see us towards the end of our first nights dinner and asks us if we are happy with his table choice for us, asks us if we are happy with his choice of a waiter for us .. and each time we have been very very happy! And ditto to what everyone else is saying, be sure to go to the Pizzeria, their pizza is fantastic!

Marquis and Regency Dining Rooms, don't expect too much "she's" already 10 Years old.

have a nice cruise...

Berliner

From what I had read the Sun was a beautiful ship that was updated only a few years ago, now when you say she is already ten years old I am worried I am spending $6000.00 plus on a rusty tug boat!

Everything I was told was we would adore our mini suite for the ten day cruise and that the sun was elegant and wonderful....... please elaborate!!!!!!!

we thought it was wonderful (we sailed on her on 1/18/05)....you're always going to find some people who complain...so don't let that discourage you...i've always maintained that if u look to find something bad u will, to be optimistic and just have fun! we had excellent service; found the ship to be in great shape, and the food was great. relax and have a great time!!

starfamily, We loved the Sun Princess, sailed on her last spring and have her booked again for next spring. Nothing at all wrong with her that we could find.

Some people only like the larger and newer ships................but we have found most of them to be just carbon copies of the next one. The Sun Princess is a very classy lady and I am sure you will enjoy your mini suite and all that the ship has to offer.

The Sun is a great ship, don't worry about it. I sailed a B2B on her two years ago and sail in two weeks on her for another B2B Alaska trip. She may not have all the fancy options that have been dreamed up since she was built but she is among my favorite class of ships.

Doug

From what I had read the Sun was a beautiful ship that was updated only a few years ago, now when you say she is already ten years old I am worried I am spending $6000.00 plus on a rusty tug boat!

Everything I was told was we would adore our mini suite for the ten day cruise and that the sun was elegant and wonderful....... please elaborate!!!!!!!

I wouldn't even bother with Berliner's comments -- it doesn't even look like he has sailed the ship, it is not in his signature.

I have sailed the Sun Princess 2x and it is a lovely ship. Some of us prefer this type of ship to the new ones because they have more character and the minisuites on this ship are huge.

We were on the Sun in Feb/March and enjoyed it very much. But...we like that size of ship (our favorite is Mercury). The ship was in tip top condition. Not sure about the comments on the dining rooms-ours was in top physical condition. We did not opt for personal choice. Horizon buffet was fine, Verdis (Italian-no charge) was excellent. Outside pool grill was just OK. Dining room food started off medium and got progressively better. Seems to be a big emphasis towards beef. Dining room service was mediocre by cruise ship standards (good by everyday standards) but this is a function of the crew. It aslo improved over the 10 day voyage. I think that they had some new trainees but everyone has to learn the trade sometime. Did not go to the steakhouse. I heard it was good but on principal I resent being nickled and dimed once I have paid my fare so we gave it a miss.

Archived