Norway - Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavenger, and Flam: More Port Questions

We've been scrolling through the info on the various port pages and found lots of helpful info. We're taking the Southern Fjords cruise in late May with stops in Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavenger, and Flam.

When we cruise, we like to use our port time to really explore a place. Sometimes that's hiking or kayaking, sometimes it's more about getting to know the culture, sometimes it's tasting the local wine (or fine tequilas in Mexico). Often times we do a little of each. We occasionally take excursions through the cruiseline, but mostly venture out on our own. Our 70-something parents will be with us on this trip and may join in some of the port adventures too.

With that background, here are a few general and port-specific questions:

- What was your single most favorite site/attraction/experience?

- What was your favorite souvenir?

- What was the best thing you put in your mouth and what was the worst?

- Has anyone been horseback riding in Norway? Do you know of any tour operators near any of these ports?

Kristiansand - We're kind of at a loss for this port. Any ideas?

Flam - The train looks like the thing to do. Should we book on our own or do the trip through the ship that (train up and bus back)?

Stavenger - We'll probably hike to Preikestolen, then walk around the older part of town as suggested by many folks on these boards. Any other tips?

Oslo - Is the Ice Bar in Oslo as fun as it looks? We're thinking about stopping in for a quick beverage after seeing the sites.

Thanks in advance!

We've been scrolling through the info on the various port pages and found lots of helpful info. We're taking the Southern Fjords cruise in late May with stops in Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavenger, and Flam. When we cruise, we like to use our port time to really explore a place. Sometimes that's hiking or kayaking, sometimes it's more about getting to know the culture, sometimes it's tasting the local wine (or fine tequilas in Mexico). Often times we do a little of each. We occasionally take excursions through the cruiseline, but mostly venture out on our own. Our 70-something parents will be with us on this trip and may join in some of the port adventures too. With that background, here are a few general and port-specific questions:

- Has anyone been horseback riding in Norway? Do you know of any tour operators near any of these ports?

Flam - The train looks like the thing to do. Should we book on our own or do the trip through the ship that (train up and bus back)?

Stavenger - We'll probably hike to Preikestolen, then walk around the older part of town as suggested by many folks on these boards. Any other tips?

Oslo - Is the Ice Bar in Oslo as fun as it looks? We're thinking about stopping in for a quick beverage after seeing the sites.

Thanks in advance!

As I understand this is your first cruise in Europe. Right? It will be much different than what you have done and seen in the Carib and Alaska. We have not been in Kristiansand or Stavenger, but we can share much on Oslo and Flam.

Below are some of my many visuals for these two areas. Don't expect much on the so-called fjord as you sail into and from Oslo. It's OK, but not like the "real thing" you will see as you go to Flam. You can see more about some of these areas from my Norway coast live/blog connected below from July 2010. Land and food costs are high, high in Norway. Sorry, but it's fairly costly there. Nor are their dining delights "special" like you might find in parts of France, Italy, etc.

YES, the rail trip is the BIG, biggie there. Flam, with a population of about 500, is nestled in a tributary of the world's longest and deepest fjord. It is 128 miles long and has a maximum depth of 4,291 feet. On the question of how deep are these fjords, local say: “A mermaid could swim all the way to China.” Our chief attraction here is the 66-year-old Flam Railway. It is widely known as one of the world's best railroad journeys. It includes twenty tunnels and eight stops as it goes up the mountain. This rail lines rises from Flam’s gingerbread rail station going up 2,835 feet to Myrdal and this "Roof of Norway" rail station. The Sognerfjord is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views. Railroad website: http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng.

For this Flam train, you could book it on your own, BUT, if your ship's schedule is adjusted or delayed, that could create some complications. Through the ship, lessen those chances and/or worries. Much in Flam also depends on how many different ships are in this port that day. Not too much else to do in Flam other than the great train ride.

Oslo is much about contemporary art, including the outdoor gardens at Vigeland Park and the famed "Scream" and other painting work by Munch. Is that of interest??? It's an interesting city, but not as great, Royal and historic as what you can find in such city as Copenhagen or Stockholm or Bergen.

Reactions and added questions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,621 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 61,012 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This picture shows the main, historic fortress next to where many cruise ships dock in Oslo. The fortress construction started around the late 1290’s. The very interesting Norwegian Resistance museum can be visited there. Norwegian Royalty have been buried in the Royal Mausoleum in the castle. A portion of this fortress was replicated at the Norway pavilion at Disney’s Epcot Center.:

1A-Oslo-Harbor-OldFortress.jpg

Vigeland Park has a wide variety of outdoor sculptures in a super, wonderful setting that is a highlight for Oslo. There is a wide variety of art, water features, spectacular settings, etc. Its admission is free and the views and art are "priceless". It is open 24/7 so hours are not an issue.:

1A-Oslo-VigelandPk.jpg

Here are a few highlights from the Flam train ride, including where you stop in a stone tunnel to get out and then see this dramatic 305-foot-high Kjosfossen Waterfall half-way on this 12.4 mile trip. We then exit the train at the Vatnahalsen Hotel, to see the grounds, nearby mountains, etc. Lots of great views on this routing, up and down. :

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Here's a nice farm view along this great fjord and another Flam train view.:

FjordFarmView.jpg

FjordsTrainViews.jpg

Thanks Terry! Your pics of Flam are amazing and I appreciate the advice about booking the train through the ship.

Yes - this will be our first cruise in Europe. Thanks for helping set the expectations on the cruise in and out of Oslo, especially since that's our first port from Rotterdam.

What was your favorite thing about Oslo?

Thanks Terry! Your pics of Flam are amazing and I appreciate the advice about booking the train through the ship. Yes - this will be our first cruise in Europe. Thanks for helping set the expectations on the cruise in and out of Oslo, especially since that's our first port from Rotterdam. What was your favorite thing about Oslo?

Appreciate your nice comments on the pictures, info, etc. On Oslo, it's hard to say just one thing. There were many things, plural, that we enjoyed in Oslo. This includes the historic Fortress next to where we docked, the sculpture park that pictured earlier, what we saw at both the Munch Museum and in main national art museum with more Munch and other famous art pieces, the City Hall where the Nobel Peace Prize is given out each December, walking around in its downtown, etc.

Sorry, can't narrow it down to just one sight or location in Oslo. Below are more of my visuals for this city, plus in the next posting, I will have more on the Flam train.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,621 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 61,012 views.

Oslo’s City Hall exterior and interior. The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded here annually in early December.:

1A-Oslo-CityHallExt.jpg

1A-Oslo-CityHallInterior.jpg

Norway’s Royal Palace and a main Oslo shopping area:

1A-Oslo-RoyalPalace.jpg

At the National Museum in Oslo, there is Munch art, including one of his two famed Scream painting that are in this Norway capital.:

1A-Oslo-NatGalMunch.jpg

Oslo's National Theater in the heart of its downtown. Norway has had many famed authors and their statues are in front of this theater.:

1A-Oslo-Nat.jpg

Here is another visual example from wonderful Vigeland Park in Oslo:

1A-Oslo-VigParkStat6.jpg

Here's more on the Flam rail trip adventure, its great sights, etc.

From our early July 2010 visit to the highly-rated Sognerfjord, here are some added details and sights from Flam, riding the railroad there, etc. This includes showing the interior of the passenger cars, several views from the train going up and back, the view at the hotel deck of the nearby mountains and passengers re-boarding to return to Flam and our ship.::

FlamTrainInterior.jpg

FlamTrain2Tunnel.jpg

FlamHotelDeckMount.jpg

Here’s the Vatnahalsen Hotell that we did during our morning visit to Flam, riding the railroad there, etc. Note their spelling for Hotell. Below is the interior for the small, charming hotel and dining place.:

FlamMainVatHotelBldg.jpg

FlamHotelInside.jpg

This is the Flam railroad car with information on its twenty tunnels.:

FlamTrainCars.jpg

We've been scrolling through the info on the various port pages and found lots of helpful info. We're taking the Southern Fjords cruise in late May with stops in Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavenger, and Flam.

When we cruise, we like to use our port time to really explore a place. Sometimes that's hiking or kayaking, sometimes it's more about getting to know the culture, sometimes it's tasting the local wine (or fine tequilas in Mexico). Often times we do a little of each. We occasionally take excursions through the cruiseline, but mostly venture out on our own. Our 70-something parents will be with us on this trip and may join in some of the port adventures too.

With that background, here are a few general and port-specific questions:

Thanks in advance!

I've had a Norwegian penpal (dating back to the dark ages, when people still wrote letters by hand) who lives just outside of Kristiansand, and have been lucky enough to visit him and his family quite a few times. I'd suggest a trip to the national park near there (Ravnedalen). The cathedral is interesting, but not really as elaborate as the ones in southern Europe. Actually, I enjoy walking around the town. You might also like Kristiansand's Dyrepark, a local zoo. I'm not sure of the best way to get to either place by public transportation (since I've been taken around by my friend and his family each time), but I don't think it's too hard.

In Flam, the train ride is definitely the thing to do. As someone else noted, it might make sense to book with the ship, in case of unexpected delays or too many ships being there at once. Remember to have your camera ready at all times. There's a relatively quick stop part way up the trip where people stop to take pictures of the waterfall, but it's not a long one.

Not much to say about Stavanger. We visited relatives of my penpal there, and didn't really do any touring per se.

I don't know about the Ice Bar in Oslo, but the places I enjoyed the most included Frognerparken (with the Vigeland sculptures), the various museums on the peninsula of Bygdoy (the Kon-Tiki Museum, the Viking Ship Museum, the Fram Museum, the folk museum), the Holmenkollen ski jump (with a nice ski museum), and Akershus Fortress (right where the ship docks). You won't be able to see them all in a day, though, so pick and choose what interests you. (There's a lot of wonderful art, too, including the Munch Museum.)

Souvenirs? Hadeland crystal, silver enameled spoons, silver jewelry, sweaters, a mold to make kransekager (a traditional Norwegian cake). None of this will be inexpensive, but it will all be excellent quality.

Food? Cloudberries and cream is wonderful. The traditional open-faced sandwiches are very different from U.S. sandwiches, and make an excellent lunch. Local chocolate and ice cream--but how far wrong can you go with chocolate and ice cream anyhow? Gjetost--a cheese that has been described as looking like hand soap and tasting like peanut butter--is wonderful when thinly sliced and put on a piece of buttered bread. (I like the ekte gjetost, but it's stronger than most Americans like.)

Worst? I can't even begin to imagine eating lutefisk. There's a Norwegian cheese with a layer of ashes in it, which I don't like (though I am a fan of most Norwegian cheeses).

Hope this helps.

Thanks to both of you! This is very helpful. Terry - your pictures are simply stunning.

MacThespian - I appreciate all the insight. The National Park in Kristiansand sounds like something we might explore. Cloudberries and cream sounds very yummy. I'll have to try the Gjetost too. Great tips on the souvenirs.

Thanks to both of you! This is very helpful. Terry - your pictures are simply stunning.

MacThespian - I appreciate all the insight. The National Park in Kristiansand sounds like something we might explore. Cloudberries and cream sounds very yummy. I'll have to try the Gjetost too. Great tips on the souvenirs.

Glad to help. Terry's pictures are wonderful (I've been looking at a batch from St. Petersburg, too); I've got some good ones, but most of them are color slides, and I don't have a slide scanner. (Ok, ok, showing my age again.)

No matter what you do, you'll have a fantastic time.

MacThespian: Souvenirs? Hadeland crystal' date=' silver enameled spoons, silver jewelry, sweaters, a mold to make kransekager (a traditional Norwegian cake). None of this will be inexpensive, but it will all be excellent quality. [/quote']

Appreciate the nice and kind comments on my pictures. Glad to know you're a person of such high class, great taste and wonderful judgment to make such wise, thoughtful comments.

On souvenirs, sorry, I didn't post some suggestions earlier. Good ideas form MacThespian. Woolens would be my top suggestions for good quality and decent values. We did lots of such shopping in wonderful Bergen. Too bad you won't be able to see this great, charming and historic city. Look for the woolens. Here are a few pictures to illustrate those options and more for shopping in Norway.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,741 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 61,056 views.

In the Bergen market area, here’s one of the sales tent offerings for the wide variety of local woolen products.

BergenWoolenStore.jpg

Where do you shop in Norway? Here are a couple of examples in Bergen in looking for woolen items in the charming area right near the Fish Market. As you can tell by the friendly smiles, both my wife and Sharon were enjoying themselves. :

BergenBuyingPenny.jpg

BergenSharonHatTesting.jpg

While doing the Flam rail trip, here are some gift samples that we saw at the Vatnahalsen Hotell. This includes some of the candy items, a few dolls and the flag/logo on a woolen item. Cute and intereesting!!:

FlamCandyGiftItems.jpg

DSC_1553.jpg

FlamNorgeFlagLogo.jpg

We were in Flam a few years ago on a cruise. We made our own arrangements to take the train by going to the train station as soon as we got off the ship. We did a little shopping before the train ride and then afterwards had plenty of time to rent bikes and ride around for an hour or so. It was a glorious day - many of the crew members had a picnic in a grassy area near where we docked. It was nice to see them enjoying a well deserved break. Norway is one of our favorite places - have a great time!

Terry's pictures are wonderful (I've been looking at a batch from St. Petersburg, too); I've got some good ones, but most of them are color slides, and I don't have a slide scanner. (Ok, ok, showing my age again.)

THANKS, MacThespian, for the nice comments on the pictures! Yes, the mention of slides, does date both of us. My first visit to Europe was in December 1970 as a college student and I have lots of slides from period. I have had some of them made as digital in the past year. More to go. Fortunately since 2003, all of my Europe pictures have been done as digital. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,741 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

THANKS, MacThespian, for the nice comments on the pictures! Yes, the mention of slides, does date both of us. My first visit to Europe was in December 1970 as a college student and I have lots of slides from period. I have had some of them made as digital in the past year. More to go. Fortunately since 2003, all of my Europe pictures have been done as digital. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hi, Terry,

Looks like we're somewhat contemporaries. I'm not sure how, but I persuaded my parents to allow me to go to Europe the summer after I graduated high school, in 1965--by myself! That was my first trip to Norway... I remember flying into the Kristiansand airport and seeing a cow at the end of the runway. Of course, that whole trip (including airfare) cost less than $1,000.

I might have to invest in a slide scanner. I've kept the slides in boxes, not carousel trays, and it's getting too much trouble to get them out and load them up.

--David (in Pennsylvania)

We were in Flam a few years ago on a cruise. We made our own arrangements to take the train by going to the train station as soon as we got off the ship. We did a little shopping before the train ride and then afterwards had plenty of time to rent bikes and ride around for an hour or so. It was a glorious day - many of the crew members had a picnic in a grassy area near where we docked. It was nice to see them enjoying a well deserved break. Norway is one of our favorite places - have a great time!

Thanks for sharing!

David - trust me, you'll find the slide converter well worth the effort. I put that on my Christmas list a few years ago and those old Kodak slides pop into vivid color when converted to digital. It's really an awesome tool. I actually spent about 3 days during that holiday converting all of the family photos - from my father-in-law's Korean War slides to early family vacations to my first travels on a high school trip to Mexico (when that was safe). I have the converter from Brookstone and it is super fast because it writes to an SD disc rather than to the computer...then you can easily upload from the disc to the computer.

David - trust me, you'll find the slide converter well worth the effort. I put that on my Christmas list a few years ago and those old Kodak slides pop into vivid color when converted to digital. It's really an awesome tool. I actually spent about 3 days during that holiday converting all of the family photos - from my father-in-law's Korean War slides to early family vacations to my first travels on a high school trip to Mexico (when that was safe). I have the converter from Brookstone and it is super fast because it writes to an SD disc rather than to the computer...then you can easily upload from the disc to the computer.

Once I started to think about it, and realized just how many slides I had, the idea of a slide scanner started to really appeal to me. I actually started to check them out, and then sent an email to my local user's group to see if any brand/model would stand out. Now I'll have to check out the Brookstone one; thanks for the hint.

Hi, Terry, Looks like we're somewhat contemporaries. I'm not sure how, but I persuaded my parents to allow me to go to Europe the summer after I graduated high school, in 1965--by myself! That was my first trip to Norway... I remember flying into the Kristiansand airport and seeing a cow at the end of the runway. Of course, that whole trip (including airfare) cost less than $1,000. I might have to invest in a slide scanner. I've kept the slides in boxes, not carousel trays, and it's getting too much trouble to get them out and load them up. --David (in Pennsylvania)

Hi to our "neighbor", David, in next-door Pennsylvania. Wow on going to Europe at such a young age on your own.

On a slide scanner, my only caution is that some of those devices are only "OK" or so-so in their picture quality. I sent my various negatives and slides into a service in California called ScanCafe. On the slides, each picture came back as a size of 3937 x 2662 or 2.6 MB. Their quality was excellent. Before investing too much time in a scanner, you should do more checking on the quality levels you will get. Unfortunately, some "cheap ones" are just that in the quality produced. Below is one of my old slides from 1970 in Rome. Notice the older cars in the foreground?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,991 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here is one example of the spectacular exterior of and around St. Peter’s. Here is the front with one of the spectacular fountains in the foreground. Although taken during a 1970 visit, it hasn’t changed much in 40 years. St. Peter's Basilica has the largest interior of any Christian church in the world, holding 60,000 people. It was “built to impress” and does. Construction of the present basilica, over the old Constantinian basilica, began in 1506 and was completed in 1626. The dome of St. Peter's rises 448 feet from the floor of the basilica to the top of the external cross. It is the tallest dome in the world. Michelangelo redesigned the dome in 1547, taking design ideas from Florence’s famed church. St. Peter's Square is vast, 1,115 feet long by 787 feet wide.:

RomeStPetersFrontFountain.jpg

Terry - your 1970s picture is very fun. Good to know about the service in case we get tired of scanning the whole family's slides. It's been really fun to have them in digital...we've even made travel photobooks through Shutterfly for some of our older relatives.

David - here's a sample of a scan from the Brookstone scanner from old slides of folks cruising in style (early 70s).

6958604441_38189358f5_z.jpg

Back to Norway -- :)

For Oslo, we're currently thinking of spending most of our time in port at the Bygdoy museums and are especially interested in the Folk Museum, the Kon-Tiki Museum, and the Viking Ship Museum. Since my better half's great-grandparents immigrated from Norway, we'll probably focus more on history.

Any tips on buying yarn? Yes, it will be expensive, but my mom wants me to bring some back.

Terry - thanks for posting the shopping pictures. I may have to bring back one of those Norge dolls for my niece. Are the prices in NOK or USD?

Terry - your 1970s picture is very fun. Good to know about the service in case we get tired of scanning the whole family's slides. It's been really fun to have them in digital...we've even made travel photobooks through Shutterfly for some of our older relatives. Terry - thanks for posting the shopping pictures. I may have to bring back one of those Norge dolls for my niece. Are the prices in NOK or USD?

That price was in NOK. During our travels in Norway, we never saw any prices shown or marked in either dollars or euros. It's the NOK there. Currently, per today's Wall Street Journal, the Norwegian Krone (USD/NOK) is 5.6725 for each dollar. The euro is at $1.3143. In 2008, the euro was nearly $1.60. For early July 2010 when we were there, each euro cost $1.26 and a dollar got you 6.38 NOK.

YES to getting those old pictures in digital so that you can make such books as you noted and/or share via e-mail and these boards.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 68,086 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 61,249 views.

For Oslo, we're currently thinking of spending most of our time in port at the Bygdoy museums and are especially interested in the Folk Museum, the Kon-Tiki Museum, and the Viking Ship Museum. Since my better half's great-grandparents immigrated from Norway, we'll probably focus more on history.

Any tips on buying yarn? Yes, it will be expensive, but my mom wants me to bring some back.

There's usually a few textile demonstrations going on in one of the old buildings at the Folk Museum. I believe they sometimes have some yarn for sale, but I don't recall specifics.

If you're headed out to Vigelands Park, there's a yarn store called Tjorven Garn on the northeast side of the Majorstuen subway station (Valkyriegata 17) that has a good selection.

In the city center, there's a yarn store called Strikkedilla on the 1st floor of the Oslo City shopping center (Stenersgata 1). There's also a branch of the hobby and craft store chain Panduro on Karl Johans gate (Karl Johans gate 8).

During our travels in Norway, we never saw any prices shown or marked in either dollars or euros.

Your first photo with the sweaters for sale shows prices in both dollars and Euros as well as GBP and NOK. :)

I sent my various negatives and slides into a service in California called ScanCafe. On the slides, each picture came back as a size of 3937 x 2662 or 2.6 MB. Their quality was excellent. THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Thanks for the suggestion on ScanCafe. While it would end up being more expensive than buying even a pretty decent slide scanner, there's a lot to be said for having experienced professionals working on it and doing at least the minor corrections needed. And it will save a lot of time, that's for sure.

David - here's a sample of a scan from the Brookstone scanner from old slides of folks cruising in style (early 70s).

6958604441_38189358f5_z.jpg

Back to Norway -- :)

Thanks for posting it. Terry's idea on using the service has a lot of merit (see my other post), even if only to save the time I'd need to scan thousands of slides.

You can easily spend all your time at those three museums. When I was younger, I would take a full day on Bygdoy--and I was staying in the city. Just keep an eye on your watch, so you don't miss the ship! (I guess you know that there's actually a stave church in the Folk Museum, so you don't have to travel to western Norway to see one.)

There's usually a few textile demonstrations going on in one of the old buildings at the Folk Museum. I believe they sometimes have some yarn for sale, but I don't recall specifics.

If you're headed out to Vigelands Park, there's a yarn store called Tjorven Garn on the northeast side of the Majorstuen subway station (Valkyriegata 17) that has a good selection.

In the city center, there's a yarn store called Strikkedilla on the 1st floor of the Oslo City shopping center (Stenersgata 1). There's also a branch of the hobby and craft store chain Panduro on Karl Johans gate (Karl Johans gate 8).

Thanks for the info!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've read various accounts of people taking the train up the mountain in Flam, then riding bikes back down, but none of these write ups provide links for suppliers on how to do this. Does anyone have information? I'm wondering if you need to rent the bike at the bottom and carry it on the train yourself, or if there is an outfitter who maintains bikes at the top for rental with return at the bottom.

Your first photo with the sweaters for sale shows prices in both dollars and Euros as well as GBP and NOK. :)

Great, sharp eye by Meg. I had not noticed that little detail in my very own picture. Good catch and attention by our wonderful Norway expert. I will be more careful in the future to note that "most" don't show or list the prices in dollars. Since I'm taking pictures and not shopping or buying, my interest is not as focused on those kinds of details.

Hi

On our 1st cruise we went on the Train independenlty The Ships Tour price was almost 3 times the cost of the train. :eek: It did include lunch however.

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING in Norway was really expensive and dont be suprised to pay £5 / £7 for a coffee.

We had a sailaway from Flam and were followed by the Queen Victoria through some of the most amazing scenery. I'm sure you will have a great time.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

On our 1st cruise we went on the Train independenlty The Ships Tour price was almost 3 times the cost of the train. :eek: It did include lunch however.

Everything and I mean EVERYTHING in Norway was really expensive and dont be suprised to pay £5 / £7 for a coffee.

We had a sailaway from Flam and were followed by the Queen Victoria through some of the most amazing scenery. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Hello Somersettop,

We shall be in Flam this June and would like to do the Flam Railway independently as you did. Did you purchase your tickets after disembarking the ship or did you buy online prior to the cruise?

Thanks.

Archived