Room service

scumbers

OK, I accept that I'm going to get flamed here but we do not tip for room serivce on a daily basis. Having said that, we DO leave an envelope at the end of the cruise for the steward and his assistant. It may be cultural thing but its just not something we do.

Are you talking about $12.00 day your have to pay for tips or extra and on?

I was speaking of the $12.00 per day charged to your shipboard account for tips throughout the cruise...extras are given by some to people that make them feel special.

I certainly will change my tipping habits after reading some of these posts...I was unaware that the room service staff were not part of the tip pool...

We often look at other countries from our filter in the US and believe they are working for slave wages and need to be compensated to US standards...I think this is why it is so hard to believe the small pay scale on cruises...it does seem shocking. However, for most, their home country wages are much smaller

Average annual income in India is around 391,760 INR (8,000 USD), according to 2011/2012 salary survey...

My understanding is that the room service staff are part of the tip pool as part of the $1.25/pp/day that covers all "other service personnel" included in your daily gratuities which are usually either prepaid or auto-charged to your account. So I believe that these people have received a small minimum base tip so that even if you do not tip them extra they have not been stiffed. With that said, our belief is that they, like most other service staff on the ship, deserve a little extra.

Here is our personal approach: If our room service is delivered by our stateroom attendant or assistant I do not tip on the spot, but instead consider this in determining what extra gratuities I give them at the end of the cruise. I also keep a few singles very handy to give the deliverer in the event the room service is delivered by someone other than our regular stateroom staff. I will emphasize that I keep the cash very handy as the room service staff are in and out quicker than you can say "thank you"! They do not usually wait around expecting a tip, so if you don't have something in your hand they'll be gone before you know what happened.

Unfortunately, unless you have a suite with a butler, it is very infrequent that room service makes up your table with a table cloth or set out the plates like they used to. Usually they only want to know where you'd like them to set the tray down and then they're off.

I am going to add to this.

Yes the daily tip covers all the daily staff that service you.

If you use extra amenities such as the spa or room service, then it is generally accepted you tip these extra. Nobody said you had to use these services, you chose to on top of your holiday package. A few $ buys the staff additional phone cards so they can call home. Most people on a cruise are considered to be on a luxury holiday and the extra tips should not be an issue.

I will always tip $3-$5 when using room service as a) I feel that is right and b) I don't want some disgruntled employee to sneeze or deposit something else in my food because I didn't tip them last time.

I also tip for laundry. Last cruise, tipping the cabin steward enabled me to pay for next day service and get it the same day.

Sometimes its worth remembering that phrase "you scratch my back and I will scratch yours".

OK, I accept that I'm going to get flamed here but we do not tip for room serivce on a daily basis. Having said that, we DO leave an envelope at the end of the cruise for the steward and his assistant. It may be cultural thing but its just not something we do.
Fine if your room steward brings your room service tray.Very seldom is it the room steward that brings our morning tray but an individual from the galley.They are prompt and efficient and should certainly be tipped. They never hang around waiting for one as they have a lot of trays to deliver.If you want to blame culture remember that it is the culture on a ship to tip for room service.:p

Most people on a cruise are considered to be on a luxury holiday and the extra tips should not be an issue.

This is not a safe assumption. For many average families a cruise is a hard saved-for luxury. It's planned to the penny and a few more dollars can be too much. I've been there too. Once one starts tipping every service person one meets (the dock hands, the waiters, the stewards, the delivery person, the maitre'd, the hall sweeper...), it can begin to feel like the money is flying away uncontrolled. Some people can't live like that. It is very helpful for most people on a budget to know in advance what might be expected.

I don't know why they call it 'tip' when they are charging your account every day regardless of the service you receive. Tips are given for prompt service, and we all know the service on Celebrity is excellent, but it is not on an individual basis anymore - so why not roll the tips right into the price of the cruise and be done with it!

Now as for breakfast tipping - we always eat breakfast on our balcony - it is my holiday treat. When the person delivers the tray, they run in and run out, I'm sure the mornings are hectic for them. Whether you tip or not, you still get what you ordered and delivered in a timely fashion; they are still polite. I will give the delivery person $20. about 5 days into the cruise and then again towards the end of the cruise (14 day cruises). They are always grateful for the money, but do I notice any extra service once I have given them the money - - no. I would rather lump pay the person than hanging on to a fist full of dollars every morning - it's just easier for me.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

I don't know why they call it 'tip' when they are charging your account every day regardless of the service you receive. Tips are given for prompt service, and we all know the service on Celebrity is excellent, but it is not on an individual basis anymore - so why not roll the tips right into the price of the cruise and be done with it!

Now as for breakfast tipping - we always eat breakfast on our balcony - it is my holiday treat. When the person delivers the tray, they run in and run out, I'm sure the mornings are hectic for them. Whether you tip or not, you still get what you ordered and delivered in a timely fashion; they are still polite. I will give the delivery person $20. about 5 days into the cruise and then again towards the end of the cruise (14 day cruises). They are always grateful for the money, but do I notice any extra service once I have given them the money - - no. I would rather lump pay the person than hanging on to a fist full of dollars every morning - it's just easier for me.

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

By all accounts Celebrity is gradually going in that direction... at least somewhat.

Between the 15% upcharge for Beverage Service, the 18% for Spa Services and the Cover Charges for Specialty Restaurants, combined with the Traditional Daily Gratuitites, there are few now on the ships who aren't involved in some sort of "tip pool"

The Daily Gratuities... that cover off Stateroom Staff & Dining Staff...(all Dining Staff and not just those to be found in the MDR)... and the recent info that there is now a quasi "tip pool" for these folks (if one opts out of the Daily Grats, then these employees have to report any individual tips and turn them into the "tip pool")

Personally, though I am one of those who EXTRA TIPS. And I like this option. Although I am quite satisfied with what I pay currently for my cruise fare and the additional tips on items that I purchase seperately (Booze - Spa - Specialty Restaurants), I also have sat down and done the math

My Room Steward works aprox 12 Hours a day, at my beck & call (direct line phone number)... and never failed me on our cruise, she delivered whatever we needed promptly (mind you we didn't ask for much... I am also taking into account how she turned over our room several times of day always making sure we had whatever we needed without being asked... room made up - fresh ice - clean towels - turndown service etc). Not to mention, yes for the most part she was also the one who brought us our Breakfast Room Service.

So the allotted $ 4 per day ($ 8 as a couple) seemed pretty meagre to me knowing that she had to "tip out" others in Housekeeping as well (wonder how many people actually know this... many of those on the Daily Grats list have to tip-out others)...

Anyways, it wasn't hard to figure out that $ 8 a day wasn't going to cut it for us... Heck we often give more than that to a Chambermaid in a Hotel that we NEVER see.

EXTRA TIPPING for us, was a no-brainer !!

But I don't think it would necessarily work for the cruise lines to go all inclusive as you have suggested in your post ... because the raise in the base fare would no doubt turn some people off to the initial commitment / outlay.

Cheers!

When you travel it is nice to temporarily adapt to the customs of the place you are travelling to, and not expect that place to adapt to you. On Celebrity cruise lines, there is a tipping culture. The crew is barely paid any wages and rely on tips for nearly 100% of their compensation. If you order room service on a Celebrity cruise you should tip the server at least a couple dollars (unless it is your room steward delivering the food, as the daily surcharge charged to your account already covers him/her). Otherwise you are taking advantage of the crew.

Does the cabin steward usually deliver your room service? if so there's no problem if someone else delivers give them at least $1. It's not going to break you.

Do you leave your automatic tips on?

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

Because if the cruise line did that it would be at least 35% more they would have to charge because of taxes and profit would have to be shown on it. Believe it's less expensive for the passenger this way.

The only person we tip during the cruise instead of at th end of the cruise is room service. We leave our tips on and sometimes tip extra for exceptional service.

This is not a safe assumption. For many average families a cruise is a hard saved-for luxury. It's planned to the penny and a few more dollars can be too much.

Fair point, but regardless if it has been saved for over a period of time, which I have done too or its something someone does on a more regular basis, a cruise is a luxury and Celebrity is one of the better lines, rated 5 stars. Everyone has a budget, but the point is, in my opinion room service is an ad hoc service, it is not really there to replace the dining experience every day, so a couple of dollars here and there are not such an expense.

What if I said forgo two alcoholic drinks and use that money to pay the tips on the three or four room service orders. Would you go without the alcohol?

I've not necessarily seen consistency as to who tips. Sometimes it's my steward, other times not. In fact, I could order room service 5 times and have 5 different people delivering.

I have to say I tip anyone who comes in with that tray. For breakfast it's frequently my steward, but since I use it as my wake-up call, when they tap on my door, I'm often not awake enough to register who has the tray. So when I get the call that they're coming, I grab a few dollars and whoever walks in the door gets it. My steward, someone else from room service, the folks across the hall....

This is not a safe assumption. For many average families a cruise is a hard saved-for luxury. It's planned to the penny and a few more dollars can be too much. I've been there too. Once one starts tipping every service person one meets (the dock hands, the waiters, the stewards, the delivery person, the maitre'd, the hall sweeper...), it can begin to feel like the money is flying away uncontrolled. Some people can't live like that. It is very helpful for most people on a budget to know in advance what might be expected.

I believe it is standard practice to tip for room service at least a couple of bucks. If you can't afford this than don't tip them, as stated in this thread there will be no ramifications.

However, if you can't swing for the dollar or two then go to the dining room or buffet to eat. Or perhaps you shouldn't have spent the money on a cruise to begin with.

I try to remember to put out a few dollars before I go to bed at night so I have it handy when I am bleary-eyed in the AM. They are normally spot-on--if you mark 7:00-7:30, they will be at your door at 7 sharp! Never had a delivery later than 7:05!

Would you go without the alcohol?
Very easily and that is what I would do, if money for tips was a problem. When it does most hurt is when the budget is so tight that there's no extra wiggle room in the budget at all. I feel sorry for people who vacation like that and some do.

Does the cabin steward usually deliver your room service? if so there's no problem if someone else delivers give them at least $1. It's not going to break you.

Do you leave your automatic tips on?

Yes I do leave the automatic tips on. Plus as I said, I tip extra to the steward/assistant at the end of the cruise as it has almost always been them that deliver room service.

I work very hard to pay for my holiday and so yes, a few dollars extra does make a difference.

As I said, don't get me wrong, I am not knocking anyone here who is on a budget without wiggle room or anyone who saves hard and enjoys a cruise. Everyone has their own expectations and funds. Infact I will agree that cruises are expensive and costs can very easily run away with themselves if you don't keep an eye on things.

Here is our personal approach: If our room service is delivered by our stateroom attendant or assistant I do not tip on the spot, but instead consider this in determining what extra gratuities I give them at the end of the cruise. I also keep a few singles very handy to give the deliverer in the event the room service is delivered by someone other than our regular stateroom staff.
That is exactly the way we do it too. On the first day of the cruise, we stop by guest services to break a couple of $20 bills for singles and fives.

Then we keep those in a drawer that is handy to reach, replenishing them when needed, so that tips are always close at hand and there are no concerns about remembering to dig them out.

If my budget was so tight that I could not afford to tip a few extra bucks, then I would not order room service but would go up to the buffet and get the food myself.

(I am not saying that this is what anyone else should do, only what I feel is right for me to do, just as I would tip anyone who delivers room service to me in a hotel room.)

We have been on some cruise ships where the automated tips were not even called gratuities but were listed on our account daily as Hotel Service Charge.

Yes I do leave the automatic tips on. Plus as I said, I tip extra to the steward/assistant at the end of the cruise as it has almost always been them that deliver room service.

I work very hard to pay for my holiday and so yes, a few dollars extra does make a difference.

what is automatic tips on?? I pay for my tips so we can go to anytime dining!

I do tip people for services like room service, drinks etc.

We are new cruisers, but veterans of AI hotels in Mexico where the tips are supposed to be included. We love coffee and croissants on the balcony every morning and I always tipped the delivery person. Wouldn't think not to. I am excited that we can get this on the cruise also, well worth a couple of bucks. We then go down to the dining room for a real breakfast later. I guess on port days though we will try a full breakfast delivered.

Anyone know how early you can get this? We are into two ports on our Alaska cruise at 7 am.

what is automatic tips on?? I pay for my tips so we can go to anytime dining!

I do tip people for services like room service, drinks etc.

TO POWER OF PINK58,

If you have "Select" Dining then you pre-pay your Gratuities before you cruise ... if you have chosen "Traditional" Dining then your Gratuitites are billed daily while on the cruise... and payable at the end.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

I am having a problem with the idea of extra tipping (for normal expected services) when over a 14-day cruse my automatic/mandatory-tipping bill is $322. How much more do folks think we should fork out in tips during a cruise because not all of us have unlimited funds? As my mother use to say “Do you think money grows on tress?”

I am having a problem with the idea of extra tipping (for normal expected services) when over a 14-day cruse my automatic/mandatory-tipping bill is $322. How much more do folks think we should fork out in tips during a cruise because not all of us have unlimited funds? As my mother use to say “Do you think money grows on tress?”

Everyone comes from different situations as far as their customs and budgets.

The Automatic or Prepaid gratuity service charge covers all the basic tips on a cruise - other than those added on automatically with the purchase of beverages and similar items. If you've covered this you can relax knowing you have not stiffed anyone. Many of us make the personal choice to tip additional because we want to for various reasons including the fact that we find some of the service on the ship to be amazing. Consider all those reasons, some of which are listed in the above posts, like you would advice in general - think about it and then do whatever you feel comfortable with. But as long as you've taken care of the basic tips you should not feel badly if you choose not to tip additional.

No need for extra tips if you don't get room service.just go to the buffet and serve yourself.

Archived