Room service

scumbers

Everyone comes from different situations as far as their customs and budgets.

The Automatic or Prepaid gratuity service charge covers all the basic tips on a cruise - other than those added on automatically with the purchase of beverages and similar items. If you've covered this you can relax knowing you have not stiffed anyone. Many of us make the personal choice to tip additional because we want to for various reasons including the fact that we find some of the service on the ship to be amazing. Consider all those reasons, some of which are listed in the above posts, like you would advice in general - think about it and then do whatever you feel comfortable with. But as long as you've taken care of the basic tips you should not feel badly if you choose not to tip additional.

Thank you. As I said in my first post, I expected to get flamed for stating that I do not tip extra on a daily basis (and boy have I). I did not at any time say I did not tip at all. I sign up for prepaid tips AND tip at the end of the cruise.

One of the biggest points that has been missed is the fact that Brits do not live in the tipping culture world. We tend to feel that the cost price should include or does include service and grats. Ok we tip taxi's and leave 10% in a restaurant that does not include service, but we do not go around day to day expected to leave a tip.

You USA and Canadian folk are used to tipping everyone left, right and center of you. Your expectations are different.

However when it comes to room service, this is an extra. The grats paid on your daily total or pre paid grats do not cover the staff bringing you your food.

On a 14 day cruise, if you ordered room service twice a day (which I have never heard anyone do), and you were on a budget and only tipped $2 per order, you are looking at a total of an extra $56. Even for those who have saved hard, $56 is not huge or unreasonable. As I said, I have never heard of anyone placing 28 orders in 14 days. If you placed one order per day at $2 tip per order that is $28. If you ordered every other day at a minimum of $2 per order that is $14. Not exactly breaking the bank.

I believe it is standard practice to tip for room service at least a couple of bucks. If you can't afford this than don't tip them, as stated in this thread there will be no ramifications.

However, if you can't swing for the dollar or two then go to the dining room or buffet to eat. Or perhaps you shouldn't have spent the money on a cruise to begin with.

I agree don't be lazy or try to live a luxury lifestyle and ''do'' breakfast on your veranda if you will not tip the crew.

Get off your arse and go to the buffet.

If you can afford to cruise then save more money to tip the crew who will probably never be on your side of the cabin door in their lives. or stay home.

Thank you. As I said in my first post, I expected to get flamed for stating that I do not tip extra on a daily basis (and boy have I). I did not at any time say I did not tip at all. I sign up for prepaid tips AND tip at the end of the cruise.
When you have different servers bringing room service how do you tip them at the end of the cruise?:confused:

One of the biggest points that has been missed is the fact that Brits do not live in the tipping culture world. We tend to feel that the cost price should include or does include service and grats. Ok we tip taxi's and leave 10% in a restaurant that does not include service, but we do not go around day to day expected to leave a tip.

You USA and Canadian folk are used to tipping everyone left, right and center of you. Your expectations are different.

However when it comes to room service, this is an extra. The grats paid on your daily total or pre paid grats do not cover the staff bringing you your food.

On a 14 day cruise, if you ordered room service twice a day (which I have never heard anyone do), and you were on a budget and only tipped $2 per order, you are looking at a total of an extra $56. Even for those who have saved hard, $56 is not huge or unreasonable. As I said, I have never heard of anyone placing 28 orders in 14 days. If you placed one order per day at $2 tip per order that is $28. If you ordered every other day at a minimum of $2 per order that is $14. Not exactly breaking the bank.

To be clear, Canadians do not tip as much as Americans do, by a long shot. As an example, I have never (and would never think to) tipped a chambermaid in a hotel. To me, that concept is insane! For doing what -cleaning my room? That's their JOB. Now, if I had an extraordinary mess perhaps I'd rethink that, but for a general day to day clean, not a chance would I tip for that.

I agree with tipping someone who has gone out of their way for you...however not ever personal service deserves a tip. Sometimes, for some people, that really is just their job. Period.

To be clear, Canadians do not tip as much as Americans do, by a long shot. As an example, I have never (and would never think to) tipped a chambermaid in a hotel. To me, that concept is insane! For doing what -cleaning my room? That's their JOB. Now, if I had an extraordinary mess perhaps I'd rethink that, but for a general day to day clean, not a chance would I tip for that.

I agree with tipping someone who has gone out of their way for you...however not ever personal service deserves a tip. Sometimes, for some people, that really is just their job. Period.

The same logic could be applied to room service which is described by Celebrity as complementary.

So it has already been paid for.

Get off your arse and go to the buffet.

You can make your point without being so rude - JMHO.

I do room service for breakfast and do tip; I have a supply of small bills for that purpose.

Annie

I agree with tipping someone who has gone out of their way for you...however not ever personal service deserves a tip. Sometimes, for some people, that really is just their job. Period.[/

Yes, as a fellow Canadian, I totally agree - Canadians are much more conservative on their approach towards tipping - much of it is because it's their chosen job and not ours to subsidize. But I sometimes wonder if all these people on the boards that boast about their heavy tipping - really are telling the truth. Over the years of my cruising life, do you have any idea how many dinner table mates never came to the final meal to hand out the tipping envelopes -it happened more times than you could imagine! I'd love some of those people to come forward!!!

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

I agree with tipping someone who has gone out of their way for you...however not ever personal service deserves a tip. Sometimes, for some people, that really is just their job. Period.[/

Yes, as a fellow Canadian, I totally agree - Canadians are much more conservative on their approach towards tipping - much of it is because it's their chosen job and not ours to subsidize. But I sometimes wonder if all these people on the boards that boast about their heavy tipping - really are telling the truth. Over the years of my cruising life, do you have any idea how many dinner table mates never came to the final meal to hand out the tipping envelopes -it happened more times than you could imagine! I'd love some of those people to come forward!!!

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

If they hide out from the dining room on the last night they are not going to come forward and admit they are cheap.:rolleyes:

But I sometimes wonder if all these people on the boards that boast about their heavy tipping - really are telling the truth. Over the years of my cruising life, do you have any idea how many dinner table mates never came to the final meal to hand out the tipping envelopes -it happened more times than you could imagine! I'd love some of those people to come forward!!!

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

I think a lot more people stiffed the wait staff before the automatic gratuities were added,

which was the exact reason for them being added. At that time, there was no way to be able to identify the cheapskates who were guilty. With the auto gratuities added, when a customer decides to decline to participate, he (she) can be identified if they leave no tips,

...and I hope, classified!!

Ruthk,

St. Catharines, Ontario,

Canada.

Do you tip the bellman for bringing your bags to your room? Do you tip the cab driver who drove you to the hotel? Do you tip the waiter who serves your meal at the hotel?

As far as cultural issues about tipping?

When in Rome. Literally. Different countries have different setups for how wages are calculated and when people apply for the job they know what to expect in regards to tips.

Some countries have the expectation that tips are included in the tab.

Some countries expect larger or small tips for their efforts.

To travel to a country and apply your own customs to the local tipping practice will only result in over tipping for some and under tipping by others.

If you are traveling in a country that tips differently than your own why would you stand on some moral high ground and refuse to follow the common practice of where you are?

The waitress in New York works for a payscale that expects she will be receiving a 15% to 20% tip from her customers.

The waiter in London is paid based on an expected (and included in the bill) tip of 12%, if I am remembering correctly.

In New York it is very likely that there is no health care in the waitress's pay package. The London waiter receives health care from the national system, which in some way is related to the rate he is taxed at.

Do you think the 3% to 8% difference is so unreasonable?

At the end of the meal the total cost represents the tab and the tip (either included or not) to the local expected amount.

I can't imagine wanting to shortchange someone because they work in an environment where their wages are based on a tipping scale different than what you have at home.

Celebrity seems to be scaled to the US wage and tipping standard; 10% 15% or 20%, depending on the services rendered, and the quality of service.

It's not that complicated...

I am having a problem with the idea of extra tipping (for normal expected services) when over a 14-day cruse my automatic/mandatory-tipping bill is $322. How much more do folks think we should fork out in tips during a cruise because not all of us have unlimited funds? As my mother use to say “Do you think money grows on tress?”

Uh, yeah, agreed.

Archived