Was it "rocking" on Freedom this past week? 2/25-3/4

Kenlorz

Help! My DH & I just booked our very 1st cruise on the RCL Allure OTS. We booked a far aft Aqua Theater Balcony, so that we can have the best of both world of an ocean view and people watching. My DH tends towards motion sickness, so was nervous about being so far aft. We were reassured by many that the stabilizes would do their job and we should be fine. Now the problem...

My inlaws just got off the Freedom. They have sailed quite a few times, always got a mid ship balcony, and have never gotten seasick before. For the first time ever, they got an aft balcony. For the first time ever they got seasick. They said their room was very rocky and the winds were very high. They have my DH extremely nervous about keeping our Allure Aft balcony. They are highly suggesting we move midship. My DH is practically convinced to oblige. I keep telling him that the issue might not have been with the room location, but with the seas & weather in general. My question to those who were onboard.... Was it rocking overall? Or is my MIL correct that this was an aft issue?

I was in an aft balcony two or three years ago on the Valor and never had a problem. Have to think it was due to weather. The only time I have ever been on a ship with motion being a problem was always due to weather. Btw...we had the corner wrap around one and it was fabulous- wouldn't dream of giving that up for a little motion!!

Hi, I was on the freedom 2/25-3/4 (first cruise) and it was very rocky the first half of the cruise. Saw the wind was 50+ km/hour , figured that was it. later in the week it calmed down a bit.

Neither hubby or I got seasick but we wobbled down hallways quite a bit!

we were on glory last week tourin on the bahama to san juan st toms and back to miami. It was EXTEREMLY windy and rocky, I NEVER get sea sick but even i went down 1 day because of the rough seas. yck, our waiter told us that itin is always rough, i will not travel that route again. we were also aft. high but u could feel it everywhere all day.

I have been on the Oasis. We did the very aft boardwalk balcony room. It didn't even feel like we ever moved. We had no wind on that balcony. We could go out anytime and have the perfect temps. Others said that had a balcony with the ocean view did have the normal wind on their balcony. But, I heard pretty much all say they were surprised at how little movement is felt on that ship.

I have been on pretty many cruises now and have always felt movement. Sometimes alot and sometimes not as much but this is the only ship that pretty much seemed to magically arrive at the port because we never felt it. If that makes sense.

We loved the Oasis. So organized and never felt crowded. I think you will love this cruise. I love any ship and any cruise but Oasis has that "Wow" factor for sure. We'd like to do the Allure but they need to bring down the price a bit because we like to find a good deal. But, we do want another corner boardwalk balcony.

Enjoy your cruise!

I was on an Aft Balcony on last weeks Freedom (2/25 - 3/4) Cruise. Yes the first part of the voyage was VERY windy. We tried mini-golf, but could actually not keep the ball on the mat.

That being said, I thought the ship was "smoother" than others. I was never bouncing into walls so to speak.

When you have a aft, you sleep 90 degrees to everyone else on the ship. So while they are "rolling" we are moving head to toe, (if that makes sense). So we felt like the movement was not bad at all. In addition, we were on deck 6 (lowest) and in the middle, so that reduces the amount of pitch.

Bottom line... we had no issues even with the high winds.

-F-

This sounds like a weather-related cause. We've stayed in the aft balconies on the same class ship and the only problem we had was some vibration (from the prop shafts if I remember correctly) but we had high waves that trip which may have contributed.

The balcony is great, esp on the corners.

This sounds like a weather-related cause. We've stayed in the aft balconies on the same class ship and the only problem we had was some vibration (from the prop shafts if I remember correctly) but we had high waves that trip which may have contributed.

The balcony is great, esp on the corners.

Good point about the "side thrusters" You could not sleep through them if you tried.

But, it was a nice way to be reminded that you were coming into port and we were awake anyway. I kinda enjoyed them (except for the return to Ft. Lauderdale at the end).

-F-

Hear is just a tip that works for my husband and I.... Go to your husband doctor or even just call them. Tell them you are going on a cruise and want the transderm patches. They go behind your ear and you will not even know you are on the water. These seem to work the best for the two of us with out them I have spent more time in the room sick then I did enjoying the cruise.. Hope this helps enjoy your vacation..

Thanks, everyone, for your quick responses!!!! I feel much better after "speaking" to you all!!! I think we will take our chances with our Aft Balcony on the Allure and just make sure we bring along sea bands, boninie, and ginger... and maybe a transderm patch for extreme situations ;)

Archived