Star Family Suites Vs. Balcony?

munchkin002

Good Morning All!

I recently booked a Family Suite for Nov. Sailing. With the 500.00 OBC from Amex. we are paying the same price as if we had booked a mini suite with balcony. I know the Suite comes with all the perks which is fantastic, but I am soooo bummed about not having a balcony!! We have cruised 2 times before, both with balcony. I do not think it is worth the 1000.00 additional to go up to next available room with balcony, but I feel like I am definitly losing out on something!!

Have you stayed in the new Family Suites on the Star? Did you really like it? Did you find nice areas to sit on deck to have coffee and just watch the ocean go by?

Thanks for any uplifting comments!!!:)

The Star is a wonderful ship. There are many places to sit and have your coffee outside. Some covered and some not, so no matter what the weather, there is a place to sit.

My favorite place was up on top at the bar area. It is covered but you can see way out. We often took our coffee up there in the morning.

I do understand the balcony thing though. We have a mini-suite booked on the Sun next year. I told DH that if the upsell fairy calls at any time, I will not upgrade if there is no balcony.

I stayed in a Family Suite on our cruise to Alaska which was wonderful with the perks.... Being in a Family Suite on deck twelve you are also close to the outdoors..However, this May I'm going on the Dawn to Bermuda and will stay in a balcony room..I felt it wasn't worth the extra money to have the perks and also it will be nice to sit out on the balcony when were in Bermuda...

Enjoy your cruise whichever room you book.

We love the Family Suites, actually prefer the layout without the balcony. The huge windows and high ceilings make for a wonderful stateroom. We really like Cagney's, it's a big part of our cruise experience as we don't do a lot of excursions and big dinners.

My sister LOVES balconies! She thought she could never sail without one until the SJ! Now she prefers it.

You are on deck 12 which is steps away from the pool area, and one flight up is a HUGE balcony, deck 13!

I don't think you will be disappointed.

@deladypilot: any upsells/upgrades on the Sun would still have a balcony. The only staterooms without balconies on the Sun, I believe, are below mini-suites. BTW, the mini-suites on the Sun are totally different from other NCL ships. They have a terrific walk-in closet, vanity area and much better bathrooms. I think you will love it!

Hi OP.

Just returned from a week in a SJ on the Star. The room is really quite spacious and nicely organized. The location is quite convenient to the pool area and buffet. Like someone else said, the floor to ceiling windows are really nice and keep the room bright. However, the windows were frequently spotty and dirty which make it difficult to get a good look out the windows. I'm one of those who did miss the balcony. I really wanted to love the suite, and I did enjoy the perks (Cagneys, especially) but next time I will be returning to a balcony cabin. I missed sitting out on the balcony in the morning watching the sea go by; the scents and sounds of the ocean; the fresh air. The lack of a balcony didn't ruin our vacation, but I certainly did miss it.

Keep in mind, too, that if you are gold or platinum, you will be entitled to most of the suite perks (except Cagneys) such as priority tendering (especially helpful in Belize), priority disembarkation (the line in Tampa was horrendous)...so that might be something to consider.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi munchkin002, how are you doing?

We had stayed in one of the Family Suites on our most recent cruise aboard the Norwegian Star to Alaska, and we couldn’t have been more thrilled to have booked it! Being that the family suites were recently added, the space felt very new and modern, with more than enough space for two people. And with floor to ceiling windows along the entire length of the stateroom, will you really need the balcony? If you must, we understand there are a couple Family Suites available that actually do have a balcony, so why don’t you book one of those instead?

We think what you will admire most about the Family Suites is the sheer size. Even the mini suites will not compare to the Family Suite in regards to space and modern design. The bathroom is long and spacious itself, with two sinks, and a nice little area adjacent to it that leads into the bathroom, that serves as storage for your clothes and luggage. The Family Suite is dynamic, as you can utilize movable walls and curtains that will allow you to separate both the bed area and mini-sleeper-sofa area from the rest of the cabin, essentially creating mini rooms right in your own cabin! The only thing we were able to hear in our Family Suite were the walkers and runners from the deck right above, just a thought in case you are a light sleeper.

Hi munchkin002, how are you doing?

We had stayed in one of the Family Suites on our most recent cruise aboard the Norwegian Star to Alaska, and we couldn’t have been more thrilled to have booked it! Being that the family suites were recently added, the space felt very new and modern, with more than enough space for two people. And with floor to ceiling windows along the entire length of the stateroom, will you really need the balcony? If you must, we understand there are a couple Family Suites available that actually do have a balcony, so why don’t you book one of those instead?

Hi,

The next cabin up is SE penthouse with balcony. It would cost an additional $1000.00 from what I am paying now. I don't think I need a balcony that bad!! Was going to book a mini but as I said with the Amex promo there is no price difference in getting the Family Suite, and of course we now get the Cagney's and butler perks.

I know, I shouldn't be whining... I am going on a cruise, who cares what room I have, right!!!

I am not sure if I would consider it so much of an upgrade without a balcony. I have a mini suite for the April 29th sailing on the Star. Once you cruise with a balcony, its hard to not cruise without one. These family suites, I am guessing these are the cabins that took the place where the Spinaker Lounge was ???

I stayed in two bedroom suites before on the Gem and Jewel. Both had balconies.

Good Morning All!

I recently booked a Family Suite for Nov. Sailing. With the 500.00 OBC from Amex. we are paying the same price as if we had booked a mini suite with balcony. I know the Suite comes with all the perks which is fantastic, but I am soooo bummed about not having a balcony!! We have cruised 2 times before, both with balcony. I do not think it is worth the 1000.00 additional to go up to next available room with balcony, but I feel like I am definitly losing out on something!!

Have you stayed in the new Family Suites on the Star? Did you really like it? Did you find nice areas to sit on deck to have coffee and just watch the ocean go by?

Thanks for any uplifting comments!!!:)

On Sunday debarkation I peeked into one of the vacated family suites on deck 12. The one I looked at had a small balcony as well (12010). The steward said there are three such family suites on starboard and three on port side. You might consider pricing those if available.

Good luck on the final choice!

coka

I have SE suite booked on Star for May. I gave those SJ balconless suites exactly 1 second of consideration and then said NO! I love the balcony, smell and sound of the ocean. Suite perks will never be enough to sub a balcony.

I have SE suite booked on Star for May. I gave those SJ balconless suites exactly 1 second of consideration and then said NO! I love the balcony, smell and sound of the ocean. Suite perks will never be enough to sub a balcony.

I completely agree.

We had a mini suite on the Star, but saw one of the family suites on our cabin crawl. Even after seeing the family suite, I was so happy we went for the mini, because we too thought hard about going for the suite perks. For us though, the balcony is worth much more than the suite perks. We have so much fun waking up in the morning and running out to the balcony in our pjs to sail into port, listening to the music being played, the wind blowing through our hair, sun shining on our faces...heck I feel like I'm there now lol! If we didn't have the balcony, then one adult would be going out to the deck with the one child who likes to be outside, while the other one was stuck looking out the window with Mr. Inside aka DS1. I'm not into fighting with the kids on vacation, so I'm happy to lounge outside as the kids come and go. Plus when the boys go to bed at 8pm, DH and I can snuggle up outside and chat until we want to go to bed, rather than trying to stay quiet while they get to sleep.

But that's us. As you can see, there are lots of people who think these suites are great. I'm just not one of them ;)

Last night I booked the SJ on the Star. I had recently noticed how roomy the suite looked and was excited to have the opportunity to get this for our next cruise.

We've had the penthouse a couple of times and that was fantastic. The view was great and the smell from the bakery was awesome.

On our last cruise on the Jewel we had the OS and had TWO balconies.

I like to try difference cabins/stir things up. I don't want to get bored with the same cabins each time.

I am looking for forward to the big windows and of course I always enjoy all the perks that come along with the suite life. (and the $500 OBC) :D

I am now more excited after reading all the nice things you all had to say about this wonderful family suite.

Archived