Leeward? Where is she

djvand

Sailed on the Leeward in 1996, wonderful small ship! Sailed on the bow suite, with a picture of George and Barbara Bush. Whatever happened to this ship?

SILJA OPERA Collision

November 13: SILJA OPERA (ex SALLY ALBATROSS, LEEWARD, SUPERSTAR TAURUS) collided with a Yermak icebreaker stationed at the exit of St. Petersburg port yesterday. SILJA OPERA's lifeboats were damaged, as was the icebreaker's lifeboat deck. There were no casualties reported. SILJA OPERA continued her journey to Helsinki. (She collided with several ships and a crane at the same port on September 19, 2003).

Lookingforward...

Yes, we were in the Bush Suite, oh the hot tub and the views from the bow. Best cruise I have ever taken. So sorry to see she is not with NCl any longer. Guess she was too small to make any money off of. I miss the smaller ships. Been sailing on HAL to get some of the "small ship" experience.

Shoreguy...

Thanks so much for the pics, they look great. I can see a few improvements made to the original design, although I see they kept those two wonderful suites on the bow!

SILJA OPERA Collision

November 13: SILJA OPERA (ex SALLY ALBATROSS, LEEWARD, SUPERSTAR TAURUS) collided with a Yermak icebreaker stationed at the exit of St. Petersburg port yesterday. SILJA OPERA's lifeboats were damaged, as was the icebreaker's lifeboat deck. There were no casualties reported. SILJA OPERA continued her journey to Helsinki. (She collided with several ships and a crane at the same port on September 19, 2003).

Good Lord Man:eek:

All those collisions!!!!!!!! Was the captain drunk??????????Did he not know how to "steer" that thing?????????? I wonder of the statute of limitations is up for a class action suit:eek: :D

Thanks for the pictures! The photos show that the deck looks a bit worn than I remember. When NCL owned it the deck of the owners suite had cushioned chaise lounge chairs, a teak table with four chairs and of course the hot tub(which was really a new idea back in the mid 90's). That cruise had such wonderful memories for our family.

• 9 years later...
Were on Leeward in August 1998 from Alexandria VA. to Bermuda. Don't recall the exact date, but would like to know. Anyone have any old itins with dates?

R&D

I lived in NOVA at that time and remember sailing the Leeward from Mexico up to Alexandria. I was thinking we did that in like 96-97 time frame, but my memory is fuzzy. It was like an 8 night cruise. We had the most awesome time. I think the ship was actually Chartered for those sailings from VA.

My sister and I cruised her about 10 times when she was in Miami and that 8 night one.

When we were on the Getaway a few weeks ago, my sister actually broke out her Leeward T-Shirt and wore it to the M&G. Many of the officers had fond memories of the ship. Some younger officers, just heard the stories. Loved that ship

Debbie,

How many Leeward shirts are still out there? That is a great story!

R&D

I couldn't believe my sister actually had the T-Shirt. I don't have mine. I do remember having both a T-shirt and sweatshirt, but they are long gone :(

I sailed on the Leeward back in 1997 and remember hearing about a fire on the ship prior to it coming to NCL. I found some information on the ship at this website; it does not appear the ship has had much luck! It is so unfortunate---I agree she was a special ship!

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Viking_Saga.html

Edited by psantho

• 7 months later...
Were on Leeward in August 1998 from Alexandria VA. to Bermuda. Don't recall the exact date, but would like to know. Anyone have any old itins with dates?

R&D

Leeward from Alexandria Va was my first cruise too! I fell in love with cruising from that moment on. The little Leeward holds a special place in my heart.

I have the original brochure from the Didion cruise charters that left from Alexandria the summer of 1998. I will have to take pics of it and post them for you.

Leeward from Alexandria Va was my first cruise too! I fell in love with cruising from that moment on. The little Leeward holds a special place in my heart.

I have the original brochure from the Didion cruise charters that left from Alexandria the summer of 1998. I will have to take pics of it and post them for you.

Gah! 10 year old thread. Scary these things are archived that long.

Also scary the thought of a Suite with pics of the Bushes. I'd have been forced to ocean litter, and that thought repulses me. I think my head would have exploded.

Stephen

• 3 months later...