Tahiti ---- black pearls

wyocruiser

If you are doing the Cook Islands Itinerary, I would wait to shop on Rarotonga. The New Zealand dollar is used there and the exchange rate is so much better than in the other islands. Lots of great stores with about the same prices as in the other islands, but the exchange is so much better, you will get more for your dollar.

IF you are not looking for top quality and are wanting just beautiful jewelry, I bought some very nice pieces at the tender dock on Moorea. If you are looking ofr top quality expensive pearls, there is a 3 story market in Papeetethat is supposed to have good prices. We went there but all the pearls are loose and seemed to me to be expensive.

The 3 story place is really a good deal. The higher you go, the less the quality. My mom bought a whole 22" necklace by choosing the cheaper ones that don't match. It was so beautiful! And, though with a gold clasp it was around $280, it was well worth the effort to pick out all those pearls. Don't buy anything at the docks, as it is all more expensive there, except in the little local shops that sell nice necklaces for $10. Look for the carved black pearl shell necklaces. You won't find them anywhere else in the world. Have fun! Beware that your film will go through their very OLD security screening machines, so a word to the wise. If you value your photos, have them developed on the ship. They also do digital and don't be misinformed, digital can be affected by those machines as well, so be careful.

Archived