How to get a 5 person connecting room on the Victory for Thanksgiving???

vossjemi

We have a bit of a room dilemma. Any suggestions that might help us snag connecting rooms for 5 people would be appreciated. One of those 2 people rooms that connects with a 3 people room.

I have a family of 5, and this is what I would have booked had it been me booking this trip. This is a family trip for my parent's 45th wedding anniversary, and they are paying for it, so I can't really complain, but if there is any way to get what I want for my family, I'd sure like to try.

It started as 16 of us going when we first booked. Then we had 3 add and 1 drop, so now its 18. 2 groups of us are families of 5, and the rest are couple adults with 1 tag along. My BIL booked this for 16 of us last Feb 2011. At the time, he was able to get a group rate that was cheaper for my parents than booking all the rooms individually, but the catch is you had to book 8 rooms to get the rate. We only needed 7 rooms if the 2 families of 5 had a 2/3 set up, but if he got all 2 person rooms and made it 8 rooms instead of 7, it was cheaper. So, that is what he did.

Basically, he put my husband & I in a 2 person room that connected with 2 of my kids. And he put himself and my sister in a 2 person room that connected with 2 of her kids. My odd kid out and her odd kid out were then put in a connecting room with my parents, all on the same floor and fairly close to each other. The rest of the adults had balcony rooms up on a different floor. I was ok with this at the time since my 11 yo daughter was still close and connected to my parents.

Well, since that time my sister has decided to divorce, so the BIL that booked all this is not going anymore, so she is a family of 4 now. Another couple with a tag along joined us so that added a room to our group, making it 9 rooms. So, my parents decided to downsize the rooms to 8 and moved my sister's daughter into her room, replacing her ex. And then they decided to move up to the balcony rooms to be with the other adults.

PROBLEM: They have to take my daughter with them in a 3 person room. But, I don't want her 8 floors away.

And, darnit, there are no 5 person connecting rooms available (there are only 8 of them on the ship), so even though on paper, she'll be listed in their room, I'll have her stay with us, and we'll all 5 be crammed into 2 2 person connecting rooms. There is one 3/3 room available, but Carnival won't let us book a 6 person connecting room with only a family of 5. My youngest will be 6, and I wonder if a "couch" will be enough room for her on the "kid" side. And will we get in trouble having 5 in 2 connecting rooms that should only have 4 total? Even though the 5th is paid for up in a balcony room elsewhere?

Ultimately, if anyone knows how to snag a 5 person connecting room this late in the game, let me know. I'd like to tell my parents they have to stay on our deck since they booked it this way to get the group rate, but I figure I can't really tell them that since its their anniversary, and they are paying for this trip anyways. I just kind of got the shaft since my sister is divorcing and they downsized rooms. Ugh. We'll make do, but I just wanted to see if anyone knew any tricks of the booking process that might help us. Thanks!

I am curious on the responses. I too have a family of 5, and the pickings are very slim in trying to figure out how to work the arrangement. Are there any quints available? ( But the 2 2-person probably would be more comfortable ). Sounds like you children might be too young for a room across the hall.

The only insight I can give you, based on my own history, is that I once booked two cabins next door to each other, each with 4 passengers. My cabin was my mom, my daughter and I, and then my friend's (from next door) daughter.

When we got to the cabins, and talked with the steward, he moved a lifejacket to the next cabin, and also brought in a trundle for her. So, basically, there were 5 people sleeping in a cabin for 4. I don't know if it was "okay" or if he was just doing us a huge favor. He did make sure to move her life jacket over there.

Besides that, my daughter (who is now 9) slept on the couch when she was 8. She also slept between my husband and I when she was 6. (and truth be told, I personally slept on the couch once (on the Destiny) when my husband had too many DODs and fell asleep diaganally across the bed.

So if I'm following that you have connecting cabins, each holding two passengers, but have a couch, and you're looking at 4 "legitimate" passengers, plus a 6 or 11 year old (not sure which kid is booked in that connecting cabin) I think you'll be okay.

I am curious on the responses. I too have a family of 5, and the pickings are very slim in trying to figure out how to work the arrangement. Are there any quints available? ( But the 2 2-person probably would be more comfortable ). Sounds like you children might be too young for a room across the hall.

Yes. At the time of the cruise, they will be 12, 10, and 6. I won't feel safe unless I'm connected to them.

Meant to add that you can always play the old "She was too nervous being too far from mommy, and couldn't stay with my parents". And you can always get an extra key to your adjoining room for the 11 year old who is booked with grandparents.

The only insight I can give you, based on my own history, is that I once booked two cabins next door to each other, each with 4 passengers. My cabin was my mom, my daughter and I, and then my friend's (from next door) daughter.

When we got to the cabins, and talked with the steward, he moved a lifejacket to the next cabin, and also brought in a trundle for her. So, basically, there were 5 people sleeping in a cabin for 4. I don't know if it was "okay" or if he was just doing us a huge favor. He did make sure to move her life jacket over there.

Besides that, my daughter (who is now 9) slept on the couch when she was 8. She also slept between my husband and I when she was 6. (and truth be told, I personally slept on the couch once (on the Destiny) when my husband had too many DODs and fell asleep diaganally across the bed.

So if I'm following that you have connecting cabins, each holding two passengers, but have a couch, and you're looking at 4 "legitimate" passengers, plus a 6 or 11 year old (not sure which kid is booked in that connecting cabin) I think you'll be okay.

Are you saying you only had 4 people? 3 booked in 1 room and 1 booked in another room. But both rooms held 4, so it could have technically been 8?

I wonder if the rules on how many can be booked into a room are different for regular bookings as opposed to group bookings. There is one 3/3 connecting room available. And there are scores of 4/4 connecting rooms available. But the group people at Carnival are saying we cannot book 5 people into rooms that hold 6 people or 8 people. We are being told they will not book less people in a room that holds more.

So, it would appear we are stuck with 2 2 person connecting rooms (that hold a total of 4 people) and just let our 5th family member stay with us UNLESS a 2/3 connecting room becomes available.

Are you saying you only had 4 people? 3 booked in 1 room and 1 booked in another room. But both rooms held 4, so it could have technically been 8?

I wonder if the rules on how many can be booked into a room are different for regular bookings as opposed to group bookings. There is one 3/3 connecting room available. And there are scores of 4/4 connecting rooms available. But the group people at Carnival are saying we cannot book 5 people into rooms that hold 6 people or 8 people. We are being told they will not book less people in a room that holds more.

So, it would appear we are stuck with 2 2 person connecting rooms (that hold a total of 4 people) and just let our 5th family member stay with us UNLESS a 2/3 connecting room becomes available.

No, we had 8 people, in two 4-person cabins. But we SLEPT 5 people in one and 3 in the other. (They weren't connecting cabins). I just re-read, and realize I didn't explain that we moved our PAX#4 over to the next cabin to be unofficial PAX#5.

If you don't get the 2/3, I think you will be fine with the amount of space for the 3 kids in one and you & husband in the other (letting the 5th family member "crash" with you because she doesn't want to be so far away). Keep in mind, even if it technically HOLDS 3 people, it will still be the same size cabin.

Thanks for clarifying! Yeah, I realize the size of the cabin would be the same, but we'd have an actual bed for the 5th person that we don't have now. Hoping a couch will work for the youngest or that there is some trick to getting a 5 person or higher room that I just didn't know about.:)

What kind of cabins are these cabins for 2? All OV cabins on Victory appear to have a couch, although it might not be long enough to sleep a person...But I only saw one picture of an inside cabin that had a couch. EM

What kind of cabins are these cabins for 2? All OV cabins on Victory appear to have a couch, although it might not be long enough to sleep a person...But I only saw one picture of an inside cabin that had a couch. EM

They are OV cabins on decks 1 or 2.

3rd person in most rooms sleeps on the couch! I've had 3 adults book a 3 person room and the 3rd bed is the couch.

WOW!! I wonder if the couch in a 3 person room folds down into a bed? And it doesn't in a 2 person room? I'm curious the difference too. Maybe I'm making much ado about nothing if the space and sleeping location is the exact same in 2 person vs. 3 person room.

Have you tried talking to a PVP or a TA?

Tell them what you want, and make them do the work.

We have a group reservation, so I can't really do anything. I'm not the lead group contact. My brother is. I'm just going off what he's being told by the Group Team at Carnival.

I haven't bothered trying to totally decipher the situation...so confusing!!

But I think you are saying that your child is too far away for your liking and you'd like her to sleep in your cabin, if possible. Yes?

If that's the case, Carnival does not care where anyone sleeps. If you have a sofa in your cabin, she can sleep there. Or on the floor, or in bed with you, etc. Doesn't matter that she's booked in a different cabin.

As far as snagging a side-by-side 2pax/3pax cabin...I have no secrets to share about that. I guess they're either available or not.

WOW!! I wonder if the couch in a 3 person room folds down into a bed? And it doesn't in a 2 person room? I'm curious the difference too. Maybe I'm making much ado about nothing if the space and sleeping location is the exact same in 2 person vs. 3 person room.

They take the bolsters off the back of the couch. It's not a foldout. The cabins are set up with a certain number of people per room. I had a situation where I needed to cancel a cruise or take my 2 year old granddaughter with me. I had to give up my balcony cabin with a couch to book an OV with a couch. LOL, the OV was actually smaller.

But I think you are saying that your child is too far away for your liking and you'd like her to sleep in your cabin, if possible. Yes?

If that's the case, Carnival does not care where anyone sleeps. If you have a sofa in your cabin, she can sleep there. Or on the floor, or in bed with you, etc. Doesn't matter that she's booked in a different cabin.

Exactly.

As far as the couch, whether they are different or not, whether they all have the back bolsters that come off or not, won't be a problem for the youngest. I slept on that couch with the bolsters still on one night. Now I'm not huge, but I am over 5' tall.

So stop worrying, and focus on the fun!!! :)

Archived