Epic Questions

willise

Hi all,

We are planning our 3rd NCL cruise (after the Spirit and the Dawn to Bermuda), this time on the Epic. I initially had a few reservations after reading some reviews, but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives I have read.

My first thought about the Epic was the fact that I dearly love to walk around the promenade deck and stop and just gaze at the water. My understanding is that this is not possible on the Epic. Is that correct? Is there a promenade deck at all that encircles the ship? Can you have aft views from the promenade?

Also, we are going to book an aft balcony for the first time. Any suggestions on what might be the best cabin in that category? Some suggest that the corner aft would be the best choice and others say the aft with the bed near the door. Suggestions?

I'm sure we will have many other questions as we get closer. It isn't until February 2013, but it's fun to plan now while the snow of 2012 is still flying!

Thanks!!

Hi all,

We are planning our 3rd NCL cruise (after the Spirit and the Dawn to Bermuda), this time on the Epic. I initially had a few reservations after reading some reviews, but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives I have read.

My first thought about the Epic was the fact that I dearly love to walk around the promenade deck and stop and just gaze at the water. My understanding is that this is not possible on the Epic. Is that correct? Is there a promenade deck at all that encircles the ship? Can you have aft views from the promenade?

Also, we are going to book an aft balcony for the first time. Any suggestions on what might be the best cabin in that category? Some suggest that the corner aft would be the best choice and others say the aft with the bed near the door. Suggestions?

I'm sure we will have many other questions as we get closer. It isn't until February 2013, but it's fun to plan now while the snow of 2012 is still flying!

Thanks!!

The aft end cabins are great because you have a stairwell on the side of you so no noise from that side. You want a cabin with the bed at the balcony door as its the best layout for moving around especially in the middle of night were the bed can be easily bumped when going to bathroom.

Location is best on a deck where you have cabins above and below you. Here is a pic of the aft of ship.

978064777_Scale1-10019.jpg.28630667f557b4a013d135b86aa28d64.jpg

We cruised Epic last year and loved it we had an aft facing cabin and the views were spectacular. The only issue with the cabin was when we were mooring. Your really feel the vibration. Other than that the ship is beautiful, the entertainment was the best I have seen. Even though the ship is big there are interactive screens throughout that help you to navigate. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the quick replies. Our TA told us that there is an upgrade special as well. We can get a mini suite for the price of a balcony. Is there any advantage to the mini suite? YOu don't get the suite perks, but you do have a slightly bigger room.

Any other thoughts?

There is definitely no promenade deck on the Epic - one of the things I missed most, and I am not one to walk the decks either. Deck 7 has side decks, fairly long. That is the one thing I disliked most about the Epic - a disconnection from the sea - didn't feel like we were cruising at all, more like a large hotel.

Robin

We're all booked in 11313, aft balcony on the Epic for February 9th, 2013!

The countdown begins!!

Just an FYI, that is the design with the bed next to the bathroom, the cabins with the bed close to the balcony are the ones everyone wants.

I had a corner aft, 12310, the view was great but I did not enjoy all the motion and vibrations. You'll love the secret stairs to nowhere, they are right outside your room.

Just an FYI, that is the design with the bed next to the bathroom, the cabins with the bed close to the balcony are the ones everyone wants.

I had a corner aft, 12310, the view was great but I did not enjoy all the motion and vibrations. You'll love the secret stairs to nowhere, they are right outside your room.

Which ones have the bed next to the balcony? What are the real differences? I've read about the stairs to nowhere but what is it really?

Thanks for the heads up!

Hi all,

Thanks!!

Definitely no promenade :( Really missed it. The "back and forth" they have set up is no subsitute.

We tried one morning to take our walk on the deck above the pool deck, but it was way too crowded with loungers to be enjoyable.

Which ones have the bed next to the balcony? What are the real differences? I've read about the stairs to nowhere but what is it really?

Thanks for the heads up!

The difference is how the room feels. With the bed by the balcony it really opens up the room and you don't have to squeeze past the bed to use the sink. The bed by the sink is a tight fit. I've actually been in the room you booked on a cabin crawl. Everyone agreed my room had the better layout.

You can tell the cabin design by looking at the wave design of the room. The hump part that sticks out is where the bed is. If you look at room 12310 you'll see the hump is is near the balcony, your room has the hump near the door.

The stairs to nowhere offer a wonderful view of the side of the ship. There are few places on the ship to get great ocean pictures. I spent one evening out there taking pics of the sunset. Most people don't know about the area.

I just looked at our reservation and we have room 11314 (not 11313 as I thought).

So looking at the layout, it seems like this room would have the bed by the balcony.

Is there a "stairs to nowhere" on this side as well?:D

I just looked at our reservation and we have room 11314 (not 11313 as I thought).

So looking at the layout, it seems like this room would have the bed by the balcony.

Awesome! You'll love the layout so much more than the other room.

Yes, there are stairs to nowhere on each side. You'll be able to see the sunset on that side.

Enjoy!!

Hi all,

Thanks!!

Not sure if this is how I'm supposed to do this (ask a question)...but here goes...

We are sailing the Epic April 7th/12. Originally we were booked in cabin 8116. We have just upgraded to a mini suite and will be in cabin 8064.

Can anyone tell me if this deck is covered? Are we looking down on life boats? Is the the bed next to the patio door? Does anyone have a picture of the exterior of the ship that this cabin can be pointed out?

Any answers would be very much appreciated! We are so excited, this is our first cruise!!:):):):)

Just got off the Epic saturday...Aft Penthouse suite 13295..Have to agree that the motion and vibrations were pretty constant...great view though...just booked Courtyard Suite today. Very front of ship 17001..Love the Epic Club and Posh..

Not sure if this is how I'm supposed to do this (ask a question)...but here goes...

We are sailing the Epic April 7th/12. Originally we were booked in cabin 8116. We have just upgraded to a mini suite and will be in cabin 8064.

Can anyone tell me if this deck is covered? Are we looking down on life boats? Is the the bed next to the patio door? Does anyone have a picture of the exterior of the ship that this cabin can be pointed out?

Any answers would be very much appreciated! We are so excited, this is our first cruise!!:):):):)

there is a link in my signature to a post all about covered balconies. In that post there is a link to a deck plan where you can see exactly where your cabin is, then you can do a simple google image search on Norwegian Epic to find large pictures that show where your cabin is (there's plenty to orient you). Also on that deck plan you will see your room's shape. Where the room bulges out is where the bed is (the widest part of the room)

Hope that helps

(8116 is covered and the bed is near the balcony, and right below you is a fast response boat)

Hi BrokerGirl,

We're from New Brunswick as well! Have fun on your cruise!!!

I sailed the Epic in November and missed my walks around the promenade a lot. We would walk dinner off by doing laps on the promenade.

I can tell you that the Breakaway is suppose to have the promenade again as we aren't the only ones missing it.

Being from Canada like myself, I am sure you will be dying to try out the "Ice Bar" LOL. I am in Alberta and I cannot fathom paying a fee to go into the ice bar to freeze my a$$ off and drink when I can do that in my yard at home in the winter LOL.

The ship is gorgeous and has plenty to do and see. I hope you and your family have an absolute blast!

Hi Jokelady,

You're right - we are going in February to get away from anything that resembles an "ice bar" :D

It seems like many people are confused as to why the promenade deck was removed. I understand it was because of the lifeboats, but for me, it was such an integral part of the cruise experience. We walked the promenade on the Spirit and Dawn until 2 or 3 in the morning on some nights.

But we're going to give it a try and if we find that the removal of the promenade is too much for us, we'll just book on the ships that have it. I'm sure we will have a great time nonetheless!:)

We are in that cabin for our cruise on April 7th. The bed is by the balcony. I'll take pics for you.

Does anyone know if the twin bed set up in a mini suite is better than in the standard balcony cabin? Meaning are the two beds further apart or is there still only about a foot of space in between? Trying to see what the extra 30 sq. feet gets us.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I took pictures of my room which is the same room as yours but up one deck.

Below is a link to my pictures. They should get you excited for your trip!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1556436

Excited is not the word after viewing those pictures:D Thanks so much!!!

IT looks like the ship wasn't very crowded when you took the pictures. Did you find the ship hard to navigate with the crowds? Long lineups at the restaurants and shows? I'm guessing the lineups for the water slides are huge!!

I took pictures of my room which is the same room as yours but up one deck.

Below is a link to my pictures. They should get you excited for your trip!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1556436

Thank you! They were awesome! I left you a question on the other thread, if you dont mind taking a peek? Thanks again!!!

Archived