traveling with kids after divorce?

sr5242

It really depends on what "full custody" means in your state. If you are granted sole physical custody, but joint legal custody, then you might be required to have permission to travel with your children. If you are granted sole physical and legal custody, then you might not, but again, it differs in each state.

You need to discuss this with your attorney and make sure that you are adequately covered. If you anticipate that your STB ex will deny you travel permission (for no reason other than to be cruel and obnoxious) then you might have to negotiate for "no permission required" in your divorce settlement. However, that might mean that when he has the kids (and I'm assuming here that he would have some sort of visitation), he might not need your permission either. So it might end up being a double edged sword.

I've only been divorced for 5 years and I don't even remember what kind of custody agreement we have!

I travel with signed, notarized permission to travel from my ex as well as the copies of the pages of my divorce decree. I've never been asked to see them, but I read advise somewhere to take them along. If your atty is drafting the agreement, try to get him to keep this portion of the divorce decree condensed to one or two pages - I feel like I'm traveling with a full set of encyclopedias!

Archived