Detailed Sun review (Feb. 25 sailing)

It's always good to start with the pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51677763@N04/

My rose pictures are on page 2- I am a novice at flickr and I couldn't figure out how to move them but oh well.

Part 1:

What a great time we had on the Sun! Four of us (a couple in our mid-50’s, 26 y.o. son and 13 y.o. daughter) from New Hampshire were on board the week of February 25.

We drove down to Cape Canaveral and stayed at the Residence Inn. The hotel is typical for a Residence Inn and full of cruisers. We ate dinner at the Old Fish House Restaurant in Cocoa Beach. It’s a plain place in a strip mall and very busy but the fish was outstanding, especially the rock shrimp (after the waitress showed me how to shell them.) Breakfast is free at Residence Inn but since everyone was getting ready to go to their ships, there wasn’t much place to sit.

Embarkation: We were staying in a suite (9201) for the first time so I didn’t know what to expect. We parked our car ($120 up front) and wheeled our bags across the parking lot to the porters. When we got in the terminal around 11:00 there was a lady waiting with a VIP/Suite Guests sign and we followed her to the check-in desk. Then Luiggi, the concierge, took us to the VIP waiting area, and after about 20 minutes he took the suite guests to lunch at Il Adaggio. My daughter’s key card had a magnetism problem so he took care of that while we were eating. Il Adaggio is beautiful with tables for two by the windows and semi-circular banquettes for four along the wall. Around 1:00 Luiggi came by and said that the cabins were ready.

(To be continued)

Part 2:

Suite: Let me start with the bathroom. Our daughter didn’t know that we were staying in a suite and when she opened the bathroom door she literally jumped for joy. Double sinks, Jacuzzi tub, separate shower and toilet, vanity, double closet area with drawers around the vanity. The cabin itself is decorated in neutral tones with a very comfortable queen bed and a fold out sofa which my daughter said was very comfortable. There is a room divider at the foot of the bed and a curtain between the bed and the sofa so while it’s not a separate bedroom, you have some division which makes three people in a cabin more comfortable. This suite is forward, right under the bridge, and we loved the view, especially going into port in the morning. We didn’t find the movement to be as much as on other ships and while it was very windy the first two days, the balcony offers some protection from the wind if you are sitting or lounging. There were two chairs, a small table and two loungers.

Inside Cabin: Our son booked the inside cabin (9301) across the hall from us. He said the cabin was quite comfortable. We asked Luiggi to get him a key card that would open our cabin so he could enjoy the balcony when we weren’t there. To me the cabin looked comfortable but a little dated- old-style tv instead of flat screen, etc.

Steward: Our steward was Hassan, who kept both cabins scrupulously clean and was the best steward we have ever had. He was very considerate about cleaning around our schedule, and when I had some laundry I needed back, literally dropped what he was doing and was back at my cabin in ten minutes with the items I needed.

(To be continued)

Part 3:

Dining: We ate at Il Adaggio in the mornings although I would have been just as happy at the buffet because I like the variety. We ate two dinners at Moderno Brazilian steakhouse- it was incredible. We had dinner once at Le Bistro which was very good as always but GOSH we loved Moderno. We ate at the Sports Bar one night and it was quite good. They start serving at 5:30 pm and serve all night, and it’s not an upcharge. We had two dinners in the MDR and one was better than the other but the service was good both times and we were seated immediately. We did the Murder Mystery Lunch which takes 2 hours and was fun, although it was really a dinner menu and too much food for me.

Entertainment: I wasn’t such a fan of the shows in the Stardust Lounge but the hypnotist was amusing. I much preferred sitting and listening to the Latin band in the Observation Lounge and having a champagne cocktail organized by Kenny, our favorite bar waiter. We played progressive trivia (which means the scores are totaled every day and then the winners are announced the last day) with Maria in the Windjammer.

Part 4:

Passenger Mix: Apparently mostly retirees the week we sailed. The previous week there were over 100 teenagers aboard but the week we went, only eight and two of them spoke no English and stayed with their parents. My daughter went to the teen club, made friends with some other girls and had a blast.

Meet and Greet: Our original M&G leader, New Mexico Nita, had to cancel the cruise and I helped out with it in her place. We had about 25 attendees plus most of the senior officers of the ship. I strongly advise you to find your ship’s sailing on the roll call section here on Cruise Critic and go to the M&G. It gives you good information about the ship and it’s fun to see people around that you meet at the beginning of the cruise.

Ports: First time in Nassau and San Juan for us, second time in St. Thomas, third time to Great Stirrup Cay. In Nassau we booked a private excursion to do off-road Segways which was a lot of fun. In San Juan we walked around, saw one of the forts, had a great lunch at Café El Punto. In St. Thomas we sailed on the Fury to Buck Island to snorkel with the sea turtles and that was excellent, too. GSC sure looks different than it did two years ago. I know that I am in the minority but I liked it the way it was, when you could just walk to the helicopter pad and see the iguanas sunning themselves. The buffet that was provided was certainly a big improvement from the past, though.

Pool area: I didn’t go to it. My daughter loved the band but complained about the chair hogs. I guess the cruise lines will never address this

Finally, the end is in sight:

Spa: I must think I am Mrs. Thurston Howell III because I actually used a spa service for the first time. My daughter and I got gel manicures and my son got a haircut. I actually didn’t gasp at their prices. The technician was nice and did a good job.

Disembarkation: Luiggi arranged with us to meet us in the Windjammer before 8:00 and walk us off. This was great because we had a very long drive ahead of us. This was a perk of the suite. We were heading out of the port by 8:30.

Who would like this cruise: People who like a relaxing, casual week on a smaller ship with a more personal approach by the very friendly and efficient staff. I like to relax with a book and a cold drink; play a little trivia; have a nice dinner. This cruise really was great for me.

Who wouldn’t: If you want lots of activities like wave riders, rock climbing walls, etc this is not the ship for you. At least on the week we went, I don’t think it would suit young adults looking for late-night excitement, but in talking to the staff that varies depending on the time of year.

Happy sailing!

Barb

It's always good to start with the pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51677763@N04/

My rose pictures are on page 2- I am a novice at flickr and I couldn't figure out how to move them but oh well.

Part 1:

What a great time we had on the Sun! Four of us (a couple in our mid-50’s, 26 y.o. son and 13 y.o. daughter) from New Hampshire were on board the week of February 25.

We drove down to Cape Canaveral and stayed at the Residence Inn. The hotel is typical for a Residence Inn and full of cruisers. We ate dinner at the Old Fish House Restaurant in Cocoa Beach. It’s a plain place in a strip mall and very busy but the fish was outstanding, especially the rock shrimp (after the waitress showed me how to shell them.) Breakfast is free at Residence Inn but since everyone was getting ready to go to their ships, there wasn’t much place to sit.

Embarkation: We were staying in a suite (9201) for the first time so I didn’t know what to expect. We parked our car ($120 up front) and wheeled our bags across the parking lot to the porters. When we got in the terminal around 11:00 there was a lady waiting with a VIP/Suite Guests sign and we followed her to the check-in desk. Then Luiggi, the concierge, took us to the VIP waiting area, and after about 20 minutes he took the suite guests to lunch at Il Adaggio. My daughter’s key card had a magnetism problem so he took care of that while we were eating. Il Adaggio is beautiful with tables for two by the windows and semi-circular banquettes for four along the wall. Around 1:00 Luiggi came by and said that the cabins were ready.

(To be continued)

Thanks for the review! We are headed there in April. May I ask if the Residence Inn offered free parking for the week? And if so, why you did not use it?

Nice review... and I liked the rose pics! :)

How did you like the front facing balcony? We will be on the Sun on a front facing balcony in June.

We absolutely loved the front-facing balcony. It was really something special to stand out there in the early morning and watch the ship coming into port. The other thing we loved about it was that the other balconie we have had have been mid-ship and our neighbors' cigarette smoke bothered us somewhat. This time there was no smoke smell and more privacy because of the way the divider was.

Barb

Thanks for the review! We are headed there in April. May I ask if the Residence Inn offered free parking for the week? And if so, why you did not use it?

The Residence Inn did offer either free or really reduced parking, but since we had such a long drive and were able to get off the ship so early and head to Richmond we decided it was worth the parking cost.

Barb

Nice review... and I liked the rose pics! :)

How did you like the front facing balcony? We will be on the Sun on a front facing balcony in June.

Also- take your binoculars. We loved watching the ships and the ports and saw lots of fins.

Thanks about the rose pictures- my daughter says I have a rose addiction (in addition to the cruising one).

Also- take your binoculars. We loved watching the ships and the ports and saw lots of fins.

Thanks about the rose pictures- my daughter says I have a rose addiction (in addition to the cruising one).

Thanks! We never cruise without them. Binoculars. Not roses-- although that would be nice.

Hi! Thanks for your review and I just wanted to be sure on one thing! The suite had a jetted tub?! I saw the pictures (and thanks for those also!!) but I was told it was a regular old tub in the front PH suites.

We will be in 9203 in way to long of a time, but if so, another thing to look really forward to! Esp since our youngest tried to convince me to book one of the romance suites for their whirlpool tub (yeah... not for $1000 more buddy!) and I know he will be ecstatic to hear that it is jetted. Though by the time he is 12 he might not care as much (with 2 hour baths still at 10.. I find that hard to believe though!)

Good thoughts about the binoculars. I will defiantly add that to my list of "Amazon buy stuff" along with my lighted Kindle case :)

Hi! Thanks for your review and I just wanted to be sure on one thing! The suite had a jetted tub?! I saw the pictures (and thanks for those also!!) but I was told it was a regular old tub in the front PH suites.

We will be in 9203 in way to long of a time, but if so, another thing to look really forward to! Esp since our youngest tried to convince me to book one of the romance suites for their whirlpool tub (yeah... not for $1000 more buddy!) and I know he will be ecstatic to hear that it is jetted. Though by the time he is 12 he might not care as much (with 2 hour baths still at 10.. I find that hard to believe though!)

Good thoughts about the binoculars. I will defiantly add that to my list of "Amazon buy stuff" along with my lighted Kindle case :)

Yes, the tub was jetted. My daughter enjoyed the bathroom so much. The third night we were aboard, my husband and I came back to the cabin to go to bed around 10 (boring people that we are) and when I opened the bathroom door, there she was with two other girls, primping for their next outing. This became a regular thing as all her new cruise friends loved the mirrors and lighting in there.

Archived