entertainment on the Coral

LaurieCM

What kind of entertainment is there on the Coral? We are going on the 14 day Panama Canal cruise and would like to know what are the "must see"s on this cruise and which shows we should pass on and just hang out.

We just returned from the Coral Panama cruise...the best show we saw was "On the Bayou '

thier new full production show. It was amazing, so many costume changes, good Jazz music and done very well. It is a do not miss show. The comics, and other entertainers change often so they may not be on your cruise.

We did not go to any of the MUTS because the schedule was not good since we had early dinner.

Are you on the Coral 14 day from LA to FLL or the FLL-LA? We are on the 15 day FLL-LA on 4/24 full transit. We're taking a land cruise from LA on Amtrak as we work our way home.

We noticed your post and location. We are in Holland. Could be interesting to "compare notes" when our cruises are done.

Just watched on the Ft. Lauderdale web cam the Island depart for its 10 day Canal RT. We have friends on board.

I know you asked about entertainment, but can't help you there. See us in mi-May and we'll have a better response, even though your cruise may be over.

Like the food, it's a matter of opinion. I've liked shows that others have walked out on, and hated shows that others have adored. One comedian I kinda loathed (not to mention any names) won some kind of Princess award. And he was on three cruises I took. I will say that if you're used to Broadway quality musicals, cutting edge choreography, or like rock and roll made after 1985 or so, you're best off adjusting your expectations downward. Not that they're terrible, but a lot of the shows are like the afternoon shows in Vegas that are free with the purchase of a couple of drinks.

And always be prepared for jokes about the way the toilets flush and people pigging out at the Horizon Court. Like muster drills, they seem to be mandatory.

Hi ExDean! I am sailing on the April 10th from LA to Florida. Have you joined the roll call for your trip? It is fun to get together with people from Cruise Critic. Especially on such a long cruise. This will be my second time on the Coral Princess- my husband and I did the 15 day Alaskan exotic explorer cruisetour in 2008. The trip was great but I am surprising myself by taking a Princess cruise again- I have been on Carnival, Costa, NCL, and Royal Caribbean- all good, some better in some areas than others, but in general all great trips. My husband thought that Princess was over rated. On our trip in 2008 Adrian Zmed, the actor from TJ Hooker, now a song and dance man was the highlight of the entertainment- he was very good. The orchestra was not very good- I love good music, and they didn't have any. The hypnotist was awful. We just made our own fun. I am going on this trip with my Mom (we are both widows now) and we are planning on a relaxing time. Looks like we will try to catch the Bayou show.

LauriCM...Take good care of the Coral since we'll be taking it back to LA. We have tasted Carnival and NCL but have settled on Princess for now. We're not into the Carnival games, etc. but we did enjoy our two trips. Our next goal is a trans-Atlantic. You and your mom have a wonder filled sailing.

We just returned from the Coral Panama cruise...the best show we saw was "On the Bayou '

thier new full production show. It was amazing, so many costume changes, good Jazz music and done very well. It is a do not miss show. The comics, and other entertainers change often so they may not be on your cruise.

We did not go to any of the MUTS because the schedule was not good since we had early dinner.

Hi. Did they have any full production shows in the Universe Lounge?

john

On the Bayou was the best production show we've seen in over 26 cruises with Princess. Evidently the Coral and the Island are the only ones who have it - and it is set up in the Universe Lounge.

IMO one show in that lounge is worth the entire cruise.

john

Just got off the Coral in Fort Lauderdale 2/28. I was very surprised that there were only a few big production shows on the ship. Definitely on the Bayou in the Universe Lounge and Dance in the Princess Theater. Both are repeated because the venues fill up quickly for the first show. I think the name of the singer that I enjoyed most was Jason Tucker (the Caucasian guy) of the 4 principles.

I skipped the comedian and the hypnotist. Other show were okay. MUTS was hard to view and hear during the day (sun and pool noises). I was up close and personal for Footloose in the evening and even then it was difficult to hear the dialogue. Grab your dessert and drink before the movie starts.

If you are expecting a Broadway type show, it is missing. My tastes may differ than yours and/or the rest of CC members. You will need to make these decisions for yourself.

Renee

On the Bayou is a must see show. Music, stage sets and costumes were great. We really liked the venue in the Universe lounge, too. Make that your must see show.

We skipped the hypnotist and we didn't go back for the 2nd ventriloquist show. Comedians are based on your personal taste. We also didn't go to the show with the entertainer who played for Sinatra, but I heard he was very good. I think all of these type shows vary from cruise to cruise, so other than production shows, feedback on these entertainers will vary from cruise to cruise.

Archived