Marina PH Questions

Shawski

We're trying to decide whether or not to splurge and book a PH for a 12 day cruise in 2013. Are the showers in the PH suites larger than the ones in the Veranda cabins? Also, what size are the beds in the PH suites?

Any other advice to help us make a decision would be welcome. Having a butler isn't important to us. Also, we'll have two sea days, so don't know if that would make any difference or not.

Thanks

The beds are Queen sized, and the Penthouse showers appeared to be marginally larger than those in the Veranda Staterooms; or at least the door was at a better angle for me when I was standing in the stall.

Even if you think that you won't use your Butler, you may be surprised on an Oceania Cruise. Oceania butlers handle your Specialty Restaurant reservations, and/or serve you course by course in your suite.

210845.jpg

The breakfast service alone is worth the price of admission, in my opinion

The beds are Queen sized, and the Penthouse showers appeared to be marginally larger than those in the Veranda Staterooms; or at least the door was at a better angle for me when I was standing in the stall.

Even if you think that you won't use your Butler, you may be surprised on an Oceania Cruise. Oceania butlers handle your Specialty Restaurant reservations, and/or serve you course by course in your suite.

210845.jpg

The breakfast service alone is worth the price of admission, in my opinion

That's not a PH suite that I recognize. Which one is it and on which ship? It looks like it's from the aft of one of the R ships, but they don't have PH's back there, and that does not look like the Marina PH suite verandahs, either.

The showers are definitely larger and more comfortable than the verandah cabins. In all, I found the PH on the Marina to be one of the nicest accommodations on any ship (bar larger suites) with a huge and extremely usable bathroom and a fabulous walk-in closet. I'd say go for it. You'll be very happy you did.

That's not a PH suite that I recognize. Which one is it and on which ship? It looks like it's from the aft of one of the R ships, but they don't have PH's back there, and that does not look like the Marina PH suite verandahs, either.

There most certainly are PH's on the Marina which have an aft balcony (it's a wraparound) They are located on Deck 7 and had I known about this on our first Marina trip last February I would have certainly opted for these cabins. The cabins are 7130 and 7135.

We're trying to decide whether or not to splurge and book a PH for a 12 day cruise in 2013. Are the showers in the PH suites larger than the ones in the Veranda cabins? Also, what size are the beds in the PH suites?

Any other advice to help us make a decision would be welcome. Having a butler isn't important to us. Also, we'll have two sea days, so don't know if that would make any difference or not.

Thanks

I would splurge again. We opt for a PH3 and if you can get 7130 or 7135 on Deck 7 you are in for a treat, however I think these would be grabbed up the minute the sales went up for 2013. I assume that you are talking about Marina or Riviera when I discuss these beautiful suites.

Thanks everyone. We're still trying to decide. We actually had a butler in a PH on Regatta a couple of years ago and really didn't use him much, so that's not a factor in the decision. To me, it's the extra space and the walk in closet that are the best part of getting the PH. My DH can't understand why I like the walk in closet so much, but then he can fit most of his stuff in a carry on!

Does anyone know if it's possible to book a veranda now and change to a PH at a later date, assuming one is still available?

Thanks,

Shawski

Thanks everyone. We're still trying to decide. We actually had a butler in a PH on Regatta a couple of years ago and really didn't use him much, so that's not a factor in the decision. To me, it's the extra space and the walk in closet that are the best part of getting the PH. My DH can't understand why I like the walk in closet so much, but then he can fit most of his stuff in a carry on!

Does anyone know if it's possible to book a veranda now and change to a PH at a later date, assuming one is still available?

Thanks,

Shawski

If you are willing to pay for it and there is space available, you may make just about any change that you would like.

The showers are definitely larger and more comfortable than the verandah cabins. In all, I found the PH on the Marina to be one of the nicest accommodations on any ship (bar larger suites) with a huge and extremely usable bathroom and a fabulous walk-in closet. I'd say go for it. You'll be very happy you did.

I completely agree -- even though I hardly ever used my butler. The accommodations were fabulous -- particularly because we were on a TA with lots of days on the ship.

There most certainly are PH's on the Marina which have an aft balcony (it's a wraparound) They are located on Deck 7 and had I known about this on our first Marina trip last February I would have certainly opted for these cabins. The cabins are 7130 and 7135.

Yes, I am aware of the wraparound feature of the two PH's on Marina and Riviera, but the picture is not of one of those. Marina and Riviera do not have solid balconies, but rather horizontal railings which allow for breezes to pass through.

The "R" ships do not have PH cabins aft, just Owner's Suites, Concierge and balcony cabins. I was just curious which stateroom/balcony was pictured.

It's great to have the choice, and in our case, the butler wins! Ours really made our trip. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful he was and what a delight it was to have such a capable and delightful person attend to our needs.

The "R" ships do not have PH cabins aft, just Owner's Suites, Concierge and balcony cabins. I was just curious which stateroom/balcony was pictured.

You've almost figured it out for yourself by ruling everything else out....the photograph was taken in a Vista Suite on the Regatta. 7004, I believe.

It was inserted in this thread to illustrate the quality of the breakfast service, which is consistent regardless of the type of Suite booked.

• 1 month later...
You've almost figured it out for yourself by ruling everything else out....the photograph was taken in a Vista Suite on the Regatta. 7004, I believe.

It was inserted in this thread to illustrate the quality of the breakfast service, which is consistent regardless of the type of Suite booked.

Nevertheless, I assume that the verandas in 7130 and 7135 would facilitate a verandah breakfast (or dinner) as shown in the photo. Comment?

We upgraded from A4 to PH2 for the space and did not know what the big fuss was about having a butler?

Ours absolutely MADE our cruise!

Breakfast every morning in-suite with amazing service

Canapies even when we forgot to ask

He met us in the hall as we arrived late from an excursion, reminded us we had specialty reservations in 15 minutes and offered to reset them for 1 hr later.

He noticed a Perrier bottle on the counter after a spa apt and after that there was always a Perrier in the fridge. (along with the beverages we had requested)

We only ate once at the buffet and once in the grand dining room with 2 in-suite specialty nights and 6 specialty reservations!

He was helpful in ways we could not have imagined and often had would we needed before we even asked.

Thank you to Churchill our butler for making Oceania the perfect cruise we had only imagined!

If you are asking yourself if PH is worth the cost, our vote is yes:D

Churchill is the best. Anthony is great! We've known them since they were servers:):) in the Terrace Cafe. Having a good butler on a trip makes the trip all the more enjoyable. Besides requesting our Butler to take care of us, we aIso always request that the evenings menu be placed in our PH room and that we have canapes delievered at around 4 pm.

One trip I was disabled and in a wheel chair and the butler pushed me around all over the ship, as well as to the spa. He was wonderful. Butler's can do anything for you within reason.

I have never fournd a butler I didn't like. They are all so acccommodating.

Can hardly wait to see them again on the reunion cruise

The space is the biggest reason to upgrade to a PH+. The extra room was wonderful. The closet was wonderful.

However, I would not count on a good butler as your deciding factor. Ours was certainly friendly, but not worth the price of admission. We talked to several other cruisers with past and present suites (PH, or Vista, or Owners) who have had very poor service from butlers and very good service.

That's the biggest disappointment in our first trip with Oceania, the lack of consistency. If you have a butler, they should all be excellent like dundeene's (we were on the same cruise and our experiences were night and day different).

For example, we only did one in-suite dinner and he suggested (I guess because it was more convenient?) that he serve all courses together... since it was Jacques and it was the farthest away from deck 11. He said, your food will be warmer. Really? Once we got to the main course, it was obviously almost cold.

For example, we only did one in-suite dinner and he suggested (I guess because it was more convenient?) that he serve all courses together... since it was Jacques and it was the farthest away from deck 11. He said, your food will be warmer. Really? Once we got to the main course, it was obviously almost cold.

Unacceptable of course, but I must say that I ALMOST blame you for allowing it, even more than him for suggesting it.

If you are unhappy with the manner in which a member of the staff is serving you, SAY SOMETHING. You are the proverbial customer, and what you say is always right.... even when it isn't.

The Butlers do work hard, but they also have a system of runners backstage to make their lives easier and when push comes to shove, they cover for one another.

FYI, there are pantries throughout the ship, with warming devices to keep the food at temperature.....nobody is running back to the kitchen of Jacques. ;)

I have to say the butler we had on the Marina was far less useful than ones we had on Insignia and Regatta. We didn't really ask too much of him (other than restaurant reservations) and he didn't offer much. The one thing he kept trying to push on us was evening canapes which I never have since it would spoil dinner for me.

It seems a large number of you enjoy having "dinner for two" in your suite. Except for breakfast when we have an early tour, that is one of the last things that interest us.

Maybe the difference is that we are retired and thus have a lot of "together" time. We look forward to going to the lounge and the dining room and talking with others about how they spent their day.

"To each his own"

Maybe the difference is that we are retired and thus have a lot of "together" time. We look forward to going to the lounge and the dining room and talking with others about how they spent their day.

"To each his own"

I agree

We spend just about 24/7 together I need to meet others LOL

It seems a large number of you enjoy having "dinner for two" in your suite. Except for breakfast when we have an early tour, that is one of the last things that interest us.

"To each his own"

I agree that is why we coose sharing in all dinnig except the terrace.

Bill

In our forties with 4 kids , both of us coaching, a large 1918 era home to rehab, a dog, full-time jobs, volunteering, etc we have tons of time with other people and very little time as a couple.

Dinner for 2 served in-suite for our 25th anniversary was very romantic.

We did enjoy getting to know many other people on our cruise, but we enjoyed eating alone a few times to catch up on our "couple time".

Retirement seems a loooong way off at this point in life.;)

While dining in the public rooms is always grand, sometimes when you don't want to "dress" or spend a few hours dining at a table for 6 or 8, dinner in the suite is always a treat. Our butler, Alex, was able to bring several courses, always at the proper serving temperature. Can't wait to be on Regatta again in a few months. :)

Archived