Let's be Careful Out There...

TPFilm

This information is current as of today, Fri Apr 22 2005 16:55:06 GMT-0400.

Mexico

April 06, 2005

This Public Announcement is being issued to alert U.S. citizens to the deterioration in recent weeks of local law enforcement in Cancun caused by a persistent shortage of municipal funds to pay for police and public services. Police responsiveness to emergency calls and investigation of crimes has been severely impaired, and the U.S. Consulate in Merida has received several reports of petty corruption and extortion aimed at U.S. travelers. This Public Announcement supplements the Announcement issued on January 26 and it expires on May 31.

The U.S. Consular Agency in Cancun has received numerous allegations of tourists being extorted for money by taxi drivers and malfeasant police or individuals posing as police officers. In some cases, tourists have been taken to ATM machines for immediate payment of alleged infractions. In other cases, extortion attempts occur after a motorist (typically in a rental car) is stopped for an alleged moving violation. The motorist is threatened with imprisonment if a "fine" is not immediately paid, even though there is no proof that any infraction has been committed.

Visitors to Cancun should be aware that a written citation should be received before the payment of any fine. No money should be paid directly to a police officer. If you believe you are the victim of an extortion attempt, you should make a note of the officer's name and badge number, the time and location of the incident, and the number of the patrol car if applicable, and immediately call the U.S. Consular Agency in Cancun or the U.S. Consulate in Merida.

The U.S. Consular Agency is located on the second floor of Plaza Caracol, Boulevard Kukulcan, km. 8.5 Zona Hotelera, Cancun, and can be reached by telephone at (52) (998) 883-0272. The U.S. Consulate in Merida is located at Paseo Montejo No. 453, Col. Centro, Merida, Yucatan. The U.S. Consulate in Merida can be reached by e-mail at consularmerida@state.gov or by telephone at (52)(999) 925-5011 during working hours or (52)(999) 947-2285 after hours or on weekends.

Current information on travel and security in Mexico can be obtained from the Department of State's Consular Information Sheet, which can found at the Internet website of the Bureau of Consular Affairs, http://travel.state.gov. U.S. citizens living or traveling in Mexico are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Consulate or through the Department of State's travel registration website: http://travelregistration.state.gov. For further information, U.S. citizens may also contact the Department of State toll-free at 1-888-407-4747. From outside the United States and Canada, call 202-501-4444. This is a toll call.

Read the Department of State Background Notes on Belize

Have to admit... I have not seen any warnings like that for Cozumel. From what I understand the police force in Cozumel is well funded and they know what doing that to tourists there would mean.... no more tourists!

For good, reliable info on Cozumel... check this site out:

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/

Sure hope so because I'll be there again on May 2nd. Had a wonderful in Cozumel two years ago and plan to have just as much "safe" fun this time.

It seems that I misspoke...

(this is from a link on the website in my post above that takes you to English translations of Cozumel news articles)

TOURIST REPORTS EXTORTION

Novedades de Quintana Roo

Cozumel Tourist Franklin Smith Cline filed a formal complaint, claiming a police officer Erik Moguel Ortiz had attempted to extort US$80.00 from him. Sources inside the department indicate that Officer Moguel Ortiz relieved Mr. Smith Cline of $80.00 after the complainant had allegedly commited a traffic violation.

Smith Cline rented a red Pointer on Friday at Less Pay located on Refael E. Melgar between 6th and 8th streets.

Sources within the department informed that the tourist was driving along 55th Avenue and was detained at the intersection of Juarez and 55th by the officer, and charged with careless driving. However, instead of applying the corresponding sanction for that office, the traffic agent demanded and received 80 American dollars. Upon payment, the tourist was free to go.

The tourist was remained unhappy about the matter and mentioned it to the rental agents when he returned the vehicle. Upon hearing his story, the employees recommended that Cline Smith make a formal complaint at the Public Security Department.

Our source asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons and for fear of losing his job if his identity was revealed. He did, however, indicate that the presumed extortionist simply received a verbal "call to attention" and was then permitted to continue working without problem.

The same thing happened to me and my sister in cozumel about 6 years ago... we were six blonde girls in a convertible vw.. police officer pulled us over... said there were too many people in the car..(two were kids) and I needed to "shake his hand" I handed him forty dollars figuredit was better than a mexican jail and he let us go.. the funny thing is .. have you every seen how many people they cram in to a car in mexico??? I think our real crime was being american!

My ex-hubby was in a cab that was stopped by the Federalis coming back from a golf course outside Mazatlan, heading back to the ship. The tried to get money from him, but couldn't charge him with anything because he wasn't driving. He thought the driver was working with the guy that pulled them over. They made him wait for over an hour, and finally realized he had no CASH, and let him go.

It's a HUGE SCAM, and most likely more wide spread than anyone realizes. I've never had a problem personally, but either walk, or take cabs into the main part of town,and never go alone.

Keeping my fingers crossed it never happens to me.

This problem is rampant in Mexico and is called "la mordita" literally translated as the bite. Mexicans laugh at it as a way of life. They even say that it is a symbol on their flag which has an eagle with a snake in its' mouth indicatine he is putting the bite on the snake. A more serious problem exists with banditos who stop cars and even buses on the highways near the beaches on the west coast. I lived in Mexico for 4 years and, although I loved it, bribes were annoyingly common especially when driving. The general police are notoriously underpaid and this is a way to augment their incomes. There are different divisions of police and the ones called Transito issue the summons. They generally are fair and do not accept bribes. Don't even try it. Also, GET LEGAL INSURANCE when you rent if available.

Planned on going to dolphin encounter at chakanaab park then to town to shop, maybe carlos and charlied then to the boat. Does this need to change? I've never been one to be scared, but since my son will be with me, I don't want to take any chances!

Thanks

Planned on going to dolphin encounter at chakanaab park then to town to shop, maybe carlos and charlied then to the boat. Does this need to change? I've never been one to be scared, but since my son will be with me, I don't want to take any chances!

Thanks

Vital,

It sounds like most of the problems have occured with those who have rented a car and driven. If you travel by taxi you will be fine. Our family has found that Cozumel is very safe. Just hold on for your life in those taxis ;) :eek:

Vital - No, don't change your plans. You'll be just fine. The cabs on Cozumel are safe. I'm a solo traveler, and I take cabs by myself all the time. I've taken a cab to Chankanaab several times....no problem whatsoever. (They do drive fast, so yeah, hang on.):D

Y'all have eased my mind. I went to Caracas, Venezuela with my family when I was in my teens and still get the chills when I think about all of the police with Uzi machine guns. I had hoped Cozumel wasn't like that. Now I know!

Thanks again!

Archived