Clean, quiet beach

ksswinggal

• 1 month later...

I was looking at Little Bay also but then saw others said it wasn't a very pretty beach.. I am also looking into LeGallion.. I've read that has calm water & as long as you can get a cab driver to take you there, all is good.. A very quiet beach.. But I would be interested in what others who have been to both have to say??

I was looking at Little Bay also but then saw others said it wasn't a very pretty beach.. I am also looking into LeGallion.. I've read that has calm water & as long as you can get a cab driver to take you there, all is good.. A very quiet beach.. But I would be interested in what others who have been to both have to say??

If your visit is on a weekend LeGalion will be busy as this is one of the islanders favorite beaches to hold family gatherings.

I am trying to decide on a beach as well. I don't want to do Orient again and was thinking of LeGalion or Mullet Beach. We will be there Thurs. Someone said Mullet can have rip tides but was beautiful. We are doing a private tour so transportation is not an issue. Also thought of Pinel, but not sure about the extra ferry ride and if it was worth the extra money for that and food. In addition, we wanted to go into Marigot in the morning and had heard you had to get to Pinel early to get a chair. The plan is Marigot first, then to the beach and ending with Maho before heading back to ship. Very interested in anyone's opinion on these beaches. Thank you!

Mullet is nice. Simpson Bay is nice but not necessarily quite since its right by the airport (but its quiet in terms of crowds). I would consider Grand Case too. I was there in March and despite there being 7 ships in port, it was crowd-free at Grand Case beach.

I am trying to decide on a beach as well. I don't want to do Orient again and was thinking of LeGalion or Mullet Beach. We will be there Thurs. Someone said Mullet can have rip tides but was beautiful. We are doing a private tour so transportation is not an issue. Also thought of Pinel, but not sure about the extra ferry ride and if it was worth the extra money for that and food. In addition, we wanted to go into Marigot in the morning and had heard you had to get to Pinel early to get a chair. The plan is Marigot first, then to the beach and ending with Maho before heading back to ship. Very interested in anyone's opinion on these beaches. Thank you!

Flow wise Mullet is the obvious choice. Personally I have only been to Mullet once when where we experienced a strong undertow. Pinel is a beautiful beach as well but if you want to go to town before the beach you will be back tracking to go there.

Le Galleon is a VERY quiet beach even though it is just down the road from Orient which is the least quiet beach.

I love Pinel. The shuttle ferry runs every hour so you have to work out your sched. Food is really pricey at pinel, but it has a nice beach and good snorkelling.

Thanks for your responses. Maybe I should skip going into Marigot? I didn't want to go to the beach then into town and back to Maho. I am leaning towards Pinel, but as Karysa stated, the wrong flow going to Marigot first. Last time we were in St Maarten, we spent the day at Orient. There were just so many trying to sell things. Would I be missing anything great if I didn't go into Marigot? I thought of Bernards tour, but he goes to beach, then Marigot, then Maho. Hubby doesn't want to do beach, then get dressed for town then back to beach. I'm thinking of Bernard as a private. I just need to figure out where to go:confused:

Thank you!

Thanks for your responses. Maybe I should skip going into Marigot? I didn't want to go to the beach then into town and back to Maho. I am leaning towards Pinel, but as Karysa stated, the wrong flow going to Marigot first. Last time we were in St Maarten, we spent the day at Orient. There were just so many trying to sell things. Would I be missing anything great if I didn't go into Marigot? I thought of Bernards tour, but he goes to beach, then Marigot, then Maho. Hubby doesn't want to do beach, then get dressed for town then back to beach. I'm thinking of Bernard as a private. I just need to figure out where to go:confused:

Thank you!

If you are thinking of taking a private tour with Bernard then you could go to Marigot and then stop at Baie Rouge or perhaps even Baie Longe (no public facilities here) on your way to Maho Beach .

If you go to Marigot have your driver drive you to the parking lot closest to the fort and within 5 minutes you can climb the stairs and reach the fort. The view is really great from up there. To me back in the early 90's Marigot was the place to shop and dine but hurricanes and then the Euro have taken their toll on this town and it is not as nice as it once was. The fort and especially the view from the fort is worthy of a visit though. Seraphinas bakery is another place that we like to stop but there are bakery's that are as good on the Dutch side as well IMO. Personally given the choice of either Pinel or Marigot I would choose Pinel but if you gave me Marigot and another great beach or just Pinel I would choose the Marigot beach combo. Just my opinion and for what its worth everything on your list are amongst my favorite things to do on the island.

Ps You mentioned rip tides at Mullet so I think that I should let you know that we had a horrible mishap in 2006 in regards to a " mega wave" for lack of a better term at Baie Rouge. We were extremely lucky that it ended up being only a big scare and important lesson learned. On other St. Maarten sites I read of others with similar experience there as well.

Karysa, thank you so much for your info and opinions. They will definitely help with the decision. I appreciate it.

You are welcome. Lots of good info on here and Bernard himself might be able to help you narrow your choices down so that your day on the island is a memorable one.

Just back from St. Marten and Mullet Bay....beautiful beach, great, but busy, Rib Shack and no problems with undertow or rip tides that particular day. There were a few folks selling things but once you said no, they didn't come back or insist. We only found a port-o-potty however for facilities, so not the best situation but workable for a several hours. Rented 2 chairs and umbrella for $15 for whole day, then walked to Maho Beach (ten minutes max with three young teens) to see planes land. Took taxi from ship for $9 each, and caught a bus/van (by the hotel near Maho) back to Phillipsburg for $2 each. Great excursion day for us!!

Just back from St. Marten and Mullet Bay....beautiful beach, great, but busy, Rib Shack and no problems with undertow or rip tides that particular day. There were a few folks selling things but once you said no, they didn't come back or insist. We only found a port-o-potty however for facilities, so not the best situation but workable for a several hours. Rented 2 chairs and umbrella for $15 for whole day, then walked to Maho Beach (ten minutes max with three young teens) to see planes land. Took taxi from ship for $9 each, and caught a bus/van (by the hotel near Maho) back to Phillipsburg for $2 each. Great excursion day for us!!

Great news about them getting a port-o-potty because believe it or not that is a major upgrade from the previous facility.:eek:

2hhooc7.jpg

Mullet Bay next to Maho so you can catch the jetsw and then drive the half mile over to Mullet Bay. No concessions there tho but quiet gorgeous water.

Perhaps you were there and gone before the crowds and the workers at the Rib Shack showed-up? Either that or you are really, really lucky and I am very, very jealous. :p I hope that I get that lucky on our next visit! :)

Archived