Just Back from Jewel SPRING BREAK ask away

We were on this cruise as well. Only time daughter can cruise with us. There were a lot of spring breakers but I thought for the most part they were respectful. Unlike a carnival cruise we did a few years ago where the spring breakers were totally out of control. I would probably avoid spring break if I could, but on any ship any time of the year you can have large groups of people that can make for an unhappy cruise.

We didn't see or hear of any norovirus outbreak. This is an absolutely beautiful ship and the crew is wonderful.

thats why I stated the ship was below the number of anything severe(as not all measures were implented). Even stated on here from a travel agent, this monday would be used as a deep cleaning date, due to illness. This was not a rant. I simply stated a few facts, received by the officers I knew on the ship as this was my third time onboard(in regards to those removed). I said I enjoyed the cruise completely and was simply stating there was GI as you could see many around my cabin were sequestered. my grandma got sick at one point and went for medication down and asked about the numbers who were sick, and also confirmed this with a officer.

The demographics were interesting on the cruise:

Under 17 - 108 or 5 %

18-20 - 253 or 11%

21- 24 503 or 21 %

25- 45 471 or 20 %

46- 54 365 or 15 %

over 55 674 or 28%

again extremely enjoyable, a memory I will have forever just like every cruise

Not quibbling with the fact that there was a lot of "illness" or that the crew had to do a deep cleaning between cruises. I have a real problem with the rush to declare whatever illness happened on that cruise as "noro". It was simply not noro (a highly contageous influenza virus strain) but rather an abundance of seasickness caused by 10-16 ft swells, 30-50 knot winds (coming in different directions every five minutes), which caused the ship to simultaneously roll side-to-side, pitch up and down, and slide sideways back and forth. On the first evening/overnight it felt like the ship was actually hitting solid obstructions in the water.

These spring break threads always worry me. As a teacher I'm confined to traveling when school is out. I am traveling end of march, and with my own children, working full time and taking grad classes to earn additional credentials, I have not had a spare moment to even read a novel. So I have stocked up on cheap romance novels and plan to sit on my balcony and read. I am just appreciative of the small things. If morons want to swing from balcony to balcony, that's their problem.

We did this cruise last year, and already booked the same week and ship for next year. I have absolutely no problem with the college students. Quite frankly, some of the "adults" are the real problem children. Way too many self-righteous noses out of joint for my tastes. The most fun on a spring break cruise for me is watching noses get yanked out of joint by someone enjoying a life long forgotten by them.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

My friend & her family are on the Jewel right now. They weren't able to board until 5:00 pm Thurs. due to the virus. I hope they are having a good time & not sick

Going on Monday it's just over 70 miles to the Port from Avon Park and it will take an hour and 1/2 to get there. We are going to leave at 9:30am and should be there just around 11am or a bit later. if the ship is on schedule we should be in the Windjammer around lunch time. :D

My husband and I will be on Jewel March 26 - March 31. Is that spring break time for anyone, anywhere?

Lady Godiva - my kids are on spring break that week, we are in the Chicago suburbs. I think the NY area will be done by then though. If people are going to fly to take a cruise, they will most likely go to FL, so hopefully you will be safe! But if not, it sounds like the Jewel has a zero tolerance policy! :)

My husband and I are sailing 3/26. First time on RCI and first time out of Tampa. Anyone have a suggestion for transportation from the airport to the port? About how long is the travel time?

We are coming from Ohio and hoping it doesn't decide to finally snow here. :eek:

We haven't had much at all this winter.

These spring break threads always worry me. As a teacher I'm confined to traveling when school is out. I am traveling end of march, and with my own children, working full time and taking grad classes to earn additional credentials, I have not had a spare moment to even read a novel. So I have stocked up on cheap romance novels and plan to sit on my balcony and read. I am just appreciative of the small things. If morons want to swing from balcony to balcony, that's their problem.

If you haven't read "Hunger Games" yet, it's an easy read that is very entertaining. I read the second and third books on my five day on Jewel a few weeks ago.

Is this the NCL Jewel, or does RCCL have a "jewel" as well?

Just got back from a quick 5 night jewel sailing. Overall enjoyable sailing. Weather didn't cooperate as we had high winds most of the sailing and waves were bad too.

This is my first spring break cruise in a while, and for myself it was a ball. Unfortunate on the cruise a total of 60-75 were taken off the ship all college aged. Started with just shy of 20 in Tampa before we even left for drugs or alcohol. 40 were taken in cozumel for similar drugs and booze, but also disorderly conduct, which included small damage, fighting, or a new one I have never seen or herd of kids climbing from balcony to balcony. It was quite a scene watching them do this from up above the pool deck. Plus another handfull in costa maya.

There were others who were intended to be kicked off, but with no passport RCCL was not legally able to dump them off the ship.

The jewel had just below the threshold of where it becomes public for the number of cases of noro virus on board. Though there was a lot of people sick and confided to their cabin.

Overall all the only thing I wish for was better weather, it did rain in costa maya. The staff was wonderful as always, and a great cruise. Feel free to ask any ?s

My husband and I will be on Jewel March 26 - March 31. Is that spring break time for anyone, anywhere?

Huntsville, Alabama city schools and Madison County Alabama schools are on spring break that week. We will be on the cruise with our 3 children.

If you haven't read "Hunger Games" yet, it's an easy read that is very entertaining. I read the second and third books on my five day on Jewel a few weeks ago.

I loved the first two books and am waiting to download the 3rd one on my Kindle Fire for the cruise. I am afraid if I put it on there before the cruise I will be too tempted to read it ahead of time. :)

I will be sailing for the first time with my family on the Jewel the week of March 30, and I am very nervous at this point. Is the March 12 cruise completely cancelled, or just delayed? Does RC compensate for any cancellations? I've read that they don't. I have a shuttle scheduled to deliver us from Orlando the day of our departure. I think I will get travel insurance.

Apparently the noro outbreak was fairly serious. I got an email today with the following (I'm close with a local TA). It sucks because my wife and I will be on Jewel on Monday! Looks like embarkation will be delayed. :(

(Names and email addresses intentionally removed)

Subject: URGENT- CANCELLED SHIP TOUR: Ship tour Jewel of the Seas Monday March 12, 2012

To:

I AM SENDING TO MY FULL SHIP TOUR LIST. IF YOU ARE NOT SCHEDULED TO ATTEND THIS SHIP TOUR ON MONDAY, PLEASE DISREGARD.

Hello All, Please DO NOT GO TO THE PIER ON MONDAY MARCH 12!! I am disappointed to advise that Mondays ship tour is cancelled . the ship has reported a case of GI illness and will undergo a deep clean on Monday. We cannot board the ship for our tour. PLEASE pass this to anyone who was going to accompany you on this tour so they are sure to receive the message this tour is cancelled. I will reschedule for another day when space if available for the tour. I will announce when it is confirmed. My apologies for this inconvenience.

Just came off of the march 12th sailing. it was not canceled or delayed in any way. We also did not hear of anyone getting sick (except from possibly to much alcohol ;)

Just got back from a quick 5 night jewel sailing. Overall enjoyable sailing. Weather didn't cooperate as we had high winds most of the sailing and waves were bad too.

This is my first spring break cruise in a while, and for myself it was a ball. Unfortunate on the cruise a total of 60-75 were taken off the ship all college aged. Started with just shy of 20 in Tampa before we even left for drugs or alcohol. 40 were taken in cozumel for similar drugs and booze, but also disorderly conduct, which included small damage, fighting, or a new one I have never seen or herd of kids climbing from balcony to balcony. It was quite a scene watching them do this from up above the pool deck. Plus another handfull in costa maya.

There were others who were intended to be kicked off, but with no passport RCCL was not legally able to dump them off the ship.

The jewel had just below the threshold of where it becomes public for the number of cases of noro virus on board. Though there was a lot of people sick and confided to their cabin.

Overall all the only thing I wish for was better weather, it did rain in costa maya. The staff was wonderful as always, and a great cruise. Feel free to ask any ?s

Should we bring ponchos for our cruise? I always have for Disney and Universal.

Archived