Oceania Shore Tour pricing

EDLOS

Wineart, I can only think of two times in our Renaissance/Oceania experience where tours were cancelled. The first was in the Baltic on our last Ren cruise -- it didn't affect us because we never intended to take the tour which was to Moscow for an incredible price (the tour involved a flight so of course it would be much more expensive than a simple city tour).

The second time was on Marina last October in Sardinia. So it CAN happen on the bigger ships as well. How prevalent these cancellations are, I wouldn't even be able to guess.

But going back to the original topic, I personally would not like either one of the tours that have been referenced! That is because on our first visit to Istanbul we and another couple hired a guide at Topkapi and it took us two hours to go through the museum at a comfortable pace. (At the time a fair amount of the permanent collection was on loan in NYC.) I just don't think I'd like any tour that is 4-4/12 hours long that tries to do the Blue Mosque, Topkapi AND a carpet demo or the Spice Market! (Of the two I'd prefer the Spice Market option, however, even at a higher price.)

Mura

• 6 months later...

My husband and I are taking the Oct. 14 Oceania cruise on the Riviera and are wondering about shore excursions. We have certainly seen mixed reviews on the Oceania shore trips. What is the best procedure to see if others are interested in booking "private shore excursions"?

The best way is to go the roll call for your cruise. But it's pretty late for you to be booking privately, although I would never say "don't try".

It also depends on your itinerary (which I have not checked out, at least not yet): there are ports where a walk-around town is sufficient, others where you really want to book a tour.

I am not one who denigrates ship's tours, I just prefer doing private tours ... that is because I prefer smaller groups. But I can't say that we've ever had a BAD ship's tour.

I will go see if I can find your roll call, and perhaps some one else will beat me to it!

Mura

Aha, I found your roll call: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1547885

Good luck!

Archived