Regatta Cabin Selection

FlightMedic555

If I am correct the square footage of the standard balcony, C category and D category cabins are all the same. Difference being the balcony, vs. a window vs. a porthole. I realize that deck location also is different.

Does anyone have any experience in any of these categories of cabins with a recommendation as to what they would suggest?? I have been on smaller ships (300 passenger) before without a balcony and with a window which for us was fine. Just trying to determine whether the upgrade in $$ is worthwhile for us.

Thanks.

We always book a C cabin and find the window adequate. We like being lower in the ship and closer to Reception and the GDR:D. We have had no problem with noise from deck above.

Conversely we have been upgraded to a balcony cabin and have certainly enjoyed it but did not use it much on a port intensive cruise as we were not on board for most of the day. It was nice to step out and look at the scenery but you can go up to deck 9 or 10 if you want a picture, etc. Sometimes the balcony in port only faces a building or the balconies of another ship so privacy and sun are missing.

It is a personal and financial choice as the cabins are exactly the same.

For me, it depends on the itinerary. On a port intensive (port every day) cruise, an ocean view cabin is fine. On something like the Amazon or Chilean fjords, Panama Canal, etc., a balcony is very desirable. Alaska has scenery worthy of the balcony, but the weather may preclude much use of it.

Personally, we avoid inside cabins after our one experience; too much like a dungeon for us, and we like to see whether or not it's day or night by looking out a window, not the bow camera.

If we can see a good opportunity to use a balcony, the money is not an obstacle. But, as much as we like the penthouse suites, money starts to be an obstacle in choosing them.

If I am correct the square footage of the standard balcony, C category and D category cabins are all the same. Difference being the balcony, vs. a window vs. a porthole. I realize that deck location also is different.

Does anyone have any experience in any of these categories of cabins with a recommendation as to what they would suggest?? I have been on smaller ships (300 passenger) before without a balcony and with a window which for us was fine. Just trying to determine whether the upgrade in $$ is worthwhile for us.

Thanks.

The only two Oceanview Staterooms which differ from the others in anything but location are 6004, 6005, 7006 and 7007.

133138.jpg Located in a very rarefied area of the ship (just behind the Vista Suites), these cabins incorporate the square footage of the veranda into the stateroom and feature a super sized Porthole.

In the photograph, above, the forward-most porthole on each deck is the the Bedroom of the Suite, while the one behind it is in one of these C1 cabins.

The furnishings and amenities in these cabins are the same as in any other Ocean View, but the square footage is larger.

134416.jpg This section of the deck plan illustrates my point.

Hope that this helped :D

Our first few cruises were in a category C and we were well pleased. The first time we took a balcony the weather was too hot and humid to really use it, and then in Alaska it was great for taking photos, but too cold to sit outside (and it rained every day so the furniture was always wet). Though I do love being able to go outside to check the weather before I get dressed!

That being said, here's another thought -- although A, B and C staterooms all have the same interior size, the furniture is arranged differently. In a C stateroom, the sitting area is just beyond the bathroom with the bed closer to the window wall giving the room a very spacious feel. In the A and B balcony rooms, the bed and sitting area are reversed with the bed closer to the door and sitting area near the sliding door. I actually prefer the former layout which enables me to drop things on the settee when I come into the room rather than on the bed.

Just a note about Jim and Stan's comment below -- friends who really needed the extra space in the room (for all that shopping) really loved 7007.

Archived