What's the weather like in the Mexican Riviera in January?

Nessi

We cruised in late January of this year and the weather was warm -in the mid 80's and somewhat humid. We were on the Carnival Spirit with stops in Acapulco, Ixtapa, and Manzanillo.

Hi! We will be cruising on the Carnival Spirit in Jan of '06 for our first cruise. Can you tell me what fun things you did in the three ports you mention? Thank you!

Barb

I'm looking into a January cruise to the Mexican Riviera in January. Can anyone tell me what it's like? Thanks!

If your ship leaves from LA or San Diego be aware that the first day at sea, and the last coming back, can be chilly, since you are getting Southern California January weather and not the sub-tropical weather of Mexico. LA averages in the mid-60's at that time of year, but you can always hit a warm spell and it could be 80. Bring a sweater for sitting out on deck on those two days, just in case. On my first Mexican cruise everyone was piling towels on top of them to keep warm on deck on the last day while returning to LA.

My son was on Carnival Pride last January late and had rain on several days. I think they only had one port day that was completely dry. We went on the second week of Feb and had no rain but one windy day.

We did Diamond Princess in January and the reaction to the weather was quite different. I was happy in shorts and T shirts on the first and last days whereas others were walking around in blue jeans, sweats and jackets. It got warmer once you passed the southern end of the Baja but that took up 2 days of travelling, one down and one back. I think the weather can be quite variable so you have to be prepared for different types of weather. Probably a lot depends on you, are you older or younger, do you want a pool type or active holiday or sitting inside is fine too. We are in our mid fifties, very active, jog the track, hang out at the pool and take active excursions. Given that it is wnter back home, temperatures inthe 60's beats shovelling snow but it is not the Caribbean. It was fine for a change of itinerary but I would not do that cruise if you are looking for a greater assurance of warmth and sun.

Realproperty: I was just going to say, you're from Toronto. I live in LA, so the 60's is our winter weather. I like that sort of weather, so sitting on deck in a sweater didn't bother me, but if people from the East are expecting the consistency of the Caribbean in January, they should just be forewarned that it's could be a bit dicey on the first and last days. At least the chances of next January being as wet as this winter are pretty slim. 54 inches of rain at my house this winter!

pvmkmyer: I agree with you. That is why my warning. For me, 60's was just fine for shorts a t shirt and jogging on deck. Great spring weather beats winter jackets anytime. I heard others on the other hand complaining that it was not "summer like". We met lots of people on our cruise from all over the northern US, a few who almost didn't make it due to storms in Chicago, Wisconsin, New York, etc. (Winter is not just a Canadian thing and New York had more snow last year than TO). The Mexican Riviera attracts people from all over and my comment was to warn them that if they are looking for guaranteed warm, regrettably, that is not southern California. It is a good cruise and spending a few days in LA is lots of fun (we had no rain--lucky, eh??) but it isn't necessarily summer weather. That was the point.

Cabo or PV are best for snorkeling but it is sure not like the Carribean side. If you don't have high expetactions you will enjoy it. Don't even think about trying it in Mazatlan. The water is murkey murkey murkey.:(

That's our experience at least.

Buck and Sharon Gilbert

Archived