Advice on Air Travel .......

jbuch02

I'm planning a B2B cruise on Celebrity Solstice originating out of Singapore on November 24th doing the North end of Australia, docking in Sydney on December 9th and departing for Newzealand on December 10th RTN to Sydney on December 23rd.

I've looked at airline tickets and have a pretty good idea of what I need but because of the potential for screwing up time zones I want to make sure I'm doing this right and seek insight from those that might have done this before.

I realize I could board on Saturday the 24th (leave the US later) but prefer to have the extra day in Singapore and board on Friday the 23rd. In order to do that, I have to leave the US on Wednesday the 21st. On the return trip in order to make connections in a near 24 hour period (avoid an overnight stay). I have to leave on Monday the 24th.

In searching the connections, there are two airlines that seem to have the combination of the best fares and the best times for me. Korean Air and Delta. I get Skymiles with Delta (Virgin Australia Inter-agency) as I use them frequently so there's some preference there but I have read good things about Korean Air for this route in particular. Any thoughts here?

Forget Airlines and go for a multi journey round trip ticket with one of the two major Airline Alliances - One World or Star Alliance .

Given the cruise departure point of Singapore and arrival at Sydney if you search on Singapore Airlines website ( a Star Alliance member) you will be able to construct a multi sector trip starting in the US flying to Singapore with Singapore Airlines, then from Sydney to USA with Air New Zealand (also a Star Alliance member.)

So, K, I took your advice, went to the Singapore Arline web site and did the multi-trip search. There does not appear to be a code share relationship b/t Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand.

I get the Alliances but it seems to me they are ever changing and depending on what search engine you are using (I use the unadulterated version of ITA, not the Google version of it), you may or may not be aware of them. Most airlines code share in some form. So much for that.

Singapore Airlines does have a relationship with Delta among others. Fares were decent, Singapore Airlines gets very good reviews but I'm still finding better fares and better connections .... .right now with Delta operating their equipment not under a code share schedule. Korean Air is good and a good fare and connections came up with Luftansa today. All Economy at the price I'm willing to pay.

Keep in mind as nice as business, premium comfort and First Class would be and flying First Class on Air Emirates in a suite for about $6K each would be fun, that's not in my budget.

I do know that there are significant variations between carriers in seat comfort in Economy based on both the equipment, its age and how the seats are configured for long haul.

I'd appreciate some input here from folks who have had experience flying from the US to Asia, Australia and New Zealand with various carriers, connections, points of departure, etc. There has to be some opinion besides one guy's! So, post up.

I'd appreciate some input here from folks who have had experience flying from the US to Asia, Australia and New Zealand with various carriers, connections, points of departure, etc. There has to be some opinion besides one guy's! So, post up.

You might get a better response if you ask your question on cruise air.

Hi, jbuch02:

Qantas has a flight out of Sydney at 3:00 PM on Dec. 23 non-stop to Dallas/Ft. Worth, arriving around 1:50 PM (Central Time). I'm sure you can get a connecting flight to Atlanta that same day.

We are on the Dec. 10 cruise on the Solstice from Sydney - NZ - Sydney. Why not sign up on the roll call page for the Celebrity 'Meet and Mingle' party. (Need a min. of 25 participants for Celebrity to host the party).

Larry & Ethel

Boynton Beach, FL

Archived