What Do You Think About A Shore Excursion Including In The Entire Cruise Fare?

Terrence Richards

My wife and I are very pleased to have booked the eight day Bahama/Port Canaveral cruise roundtrip from New York City on the Disney Magic.

Included in the fare is transportation and a day trip to Disney World.

We have been there several times as well as Disneyland in California and do not wish to visit Disney World again. We are very happy to enjoy life on board the ship.

I called Disney and the agent said she would check into my request to receive onboard credit instead of the shore excursion to Disney World. I think she was just being nice. When she returned to the phone, she said the day trip to Disney World was part of the entire fare and could not be excluded.

What do you CC members think about this? We have been on twenty-two cruises and have never had a shore excursion forced on us and being included in the fare.

The Disney Magic will also spend a day in Nassau, Bahamas. I am thankful that Disney Cruise Line did not also tag on a day to Atlantis or some other sight seeing place while docked there.

Thanks for your input on this matter.

Terrence

The excursion was offered as a perk of taking this cruise and may have swayed many who were on the fence into taking the cruise. I think that the majority of the guests will be happy with the "mandatory" excursion and I'll even venture that there would be complaints if it wasn't offered "free" with many not understanding that free isnt. DCL has to pay WDW for the passes and extra coaches.

Consider the excursion as a gift to you of an empty ship.

Regent Seven Seas Cruise line includes shore excursions in the cruise fare.

If you don't go on any excursions, you don't get a discount.

They say the excursions are free, but clearly you've paid for them in paying a higher fare.

in any case, you don't get a refund if you stay on the ship.

it's your choice to go or not, but the cruise fare is the cruise fare...

There are many things included in the cruise fare that many people never use. Kids clubs - we've never cruised with kids young enough to use them. Entertainment - we've done our best, but we've never seen everything. Room service - only done it once when we were quarantined for 24 hours.

It's your choice if the price is worth what you are going to use.

:)

I agree with the others.

You might consider going on the excursion but without the "theme park" mentality. For example, just go to EPCOT for the day and enjoy international dining, shopping, and entertainment.

Or just enjoy the empty ship. :D

There are many things included in the cruise fare that many people never use. Kids clubs - we've never cruised with kids young enough to use them. Entertainment - we've done our best, but we've never seen everything. Room service - only done it once when we were quarantined for 24 hours.

It's your choice if the price is worth what you are going to use.

Whoa, back the truck up. Quarantined?

:D On our Med cruise, DH came down with a stomach problem (you know, the travelers kind). Since it was 8 days into our 10 day cruise, the health center determined he got it onboard (duh). He was quarantined for 24 hours with a bland menu. I, technically, wasn't quarantined, but I stayed in with him. After 24 hours, he was re-checked and things were better, so the quarantine was lifted. A good thing, too, as we were doing a B2B (WBTA).

The excursion was offered as a perk of taking this cruise and may have swayed many who were on the fence into taking the cruise. I think that the majority of the guests will be happy with the "mandatory" excursion and I'll even venture that there would be complaints if it wasn't offered "free" with many not understanding that free isnt. DCL has to pay WDW for the passes and extra coaches.

Consider the excursion as a gift to you of an empty ship.

Hello Host Mick,

Thank you for your insight. Yes, we will enjoy an empty ship. We made reservations for Palo for 6:30 PM, that day. We may be the only guests in the restaurant. We love it!

Terrence

Absolutely. My daughter, then one of my sons, got sick on the Wonder a couple of years back. I don't remember what the notice said, but I'm sure it was strongly worded that she needed to remain in our stateroom for 24 hours (which sucks on a 3 day). I didn't really read it since she was throwing her guts up and she wasn't getting out of bed anyway.

They even called from the restaurant to see what food we would like sent up that evening (again a little reminder not to show up in the dining room).

You can't blame them; there were SO many people sick on that cruise.

If my intel is correct, those one day park hoppers have no expiration date and can be used in the future should you decide to visit WDW again someday... or you could give them away (to me! LOL)... Or maybe even sell them...

If my intel is correct, those one day park hoppers have no expiration date and can be used in the future should you decide to visit WDW again someday... or you could give them away (to me! LOL)... Or maybe even sell them...

The tickets can only be used on the day that the ship is in Port Canaveral.

If I'm not mistaken there will be other shore excursions offered that day--at a cost. So like any other port day you can choose a free excursion to Disney World, pay for an excursion elsewhere, plan your own excursion, or stay on the ship.

And frankly I don't think the cruise price was raised, but rather Disney is offering the option for free with the expectation that people will spend money on trinkets and food--the true profit center for almost every theme park. (Discover Cove being an obvious exception)

Bummer... Maybe offer them to a cast member?

Why would a CM need Disney tickets? They get in for free with their ID, and most CM's can "pass in" friends/relatives--the number of annual friends/relatives admissions is dependent on their position with the company.

Cruise CMs get in free too? I was of the impression that thy have different perks than park/resort CMs...

There are certain perks that all CM's get. Merchandise and food discounts and free admission for themselves with their ID or a handful of free passes every year depending on which division of the company they work for.

Unless something has changed fairly recently, DCL cast have the same benefits as WDW cast as far as entry goes.

There are certain perks that all CM's get. Merchandise and food discounts and free admission for themselves with their ID or a handful of free passes every year depending on which division of the company they work for.

Unless something has changed fairly recently, DCL cast have the same benefits as WDW cast as far as entry goes.

I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits including admission were different. DCL is a different company that WDW though they are both owned by WDI. Even small divisions within the companies are separate business units. Club 33 for example has to buy admission tickets from Disneyland when non-members accept the day pass into the park to dine at the Club.

I wouldn't be surprised if the benefits including admission were different. DCL is a different company that WDW though they are both owned by WDI. Even small divisions within the companies are separate business units. Club 33 for example has to buy admission tickets from Disneyland when non-members accept the day pass into the park to dine at the Club.

I used to work for a different division. We got unlimited admission to Disney World with our ID's and merch discounts, but only certain food discounts. We didn't get Disneyland admission with our ID's, but could buy deeply discounted tickets. I know that ABC/Disney and ESPN employees also have different perks. It's what the division negotiates with each theme park. One of my husbands friends worked on DCL up until a year or so ago, and that's what I'm basing my comments on.

Archived