Tobacco Road in Miami

beasfriend

Depends what you are looking for, personally I don't like, but if you like live music I guess its worth a go. They do have some pretty decent burgers, but they have been outdone by Burger and Beer, Filling Station/Garage Bar, and Damn Good Burger.

You can do a decent pub crawl if your into that sort of thing. Go to Tobacco Road early, then check out Waxy O Connor's (right on the Miami River for a decent city view). Then back track to a Blackbird Ordinary...if you are still in a party mood, make your way to Mary Brickell Village from there.

The Brickell area is in general safe to walk, as the hours wear on stay near Mary Brickell Village, and when you head back make a beeline to Brickell Ave to get back to your hotel.

Saludos,

Yogi

if you love South Beach, stay away from Tobacco Road. If you want Miami before it was Miami Vice then try it.

TR is OLD Miami ... BBQ and the blues ... and not early ..... LATE nite. But if the blues ain't your thing then maybe TR ain't either. On the other hand I once saw John Lee Hooker play upstairs at TR and sat so close that when .... well, REAL close in a small bar atmosphere ... 25 years ago now . . .

p.s. Emeril has done a show there - about the ribs. Again, not typical Miami fare. But REAL Miami to be sure. It is bar food ... good bar food. Not fancy Miami food. History is here: Miami liq' lic' #1, walk the same floor as Al Capone and Albert King!

I recommend it .... but I'm a Blues kinda guy. (and lived/stationed in Miami for 10 years on and off thru the 80's and 90's).

Agreed for live music = late night. But jazz is usually played only once or twice early in the week, weekends brings out DJs and a dizzying mix of acts.

I dont know what Emirl tasted in those ribs...but you know something is up with a resturant that has to bring in food trucks every so often.

Yogi

There was a great show on TV this past Sunday on the Travel Channel..something called "48 hour layover"...it featured all the real old-school Miami hotspots unwrecked by..well, you know what I mean..He recommended the Raleigh Hotel, a couple of restaurants in Little Haiti and downtown Miami, a couple of diners off Collins, and some other cool little places. Tobacco road I've not gone to but have always heard positive about it.

Archived