I am more than a bit concerned...

Celandine

Like many others, I go through phases of reading CC and not. Once I have a cruise booked, I read the site almost daily.

I have noticed in the last few weeks/months (at least compared to before) a lot of people posting pictures of strangers to make fun of them/poke fun/etc. etc.

I am now starting to second guess my cruise because I am worried I am going to be paranoid that someone is going to take a picture of me to then post and make fun of me on a website...

why do people do this? Yes I get that we all judge people, and something said in the moment to a friend is completely different than taking a photo and then posting that photo in your review.

I've never been worried before in my other cruises, but now after seeing several reviews and threads with people posting pictures of strangers I'm not as excited as I should be for my cruise.

Like many others, I go through phases of reading CC and not. Once I have a cruise booked, I read the site almost daily.

I have noticed in the last few weeks/months (at least compared to before) a lot of people posting pictures of strangers to make fun of them/poke fun/etc. etc.

I am now starting to second guess my cruise because I am worried I am going to be paranoid that someone is going to take a picture of me to then post and make fun of me on a website...

why do people do this? Yes I get that we all judge people, and something said in the moment to a friend is completely different than taking a photo and then posting that photo in your review.

I've never been worried before in my other cruises, but now after seeing several reviews and threads with people posting pictures of strangers I'm not as excited as I should be for my cruise.

It's the "play ground bully" syndrome that some people just never seem to grow out of, facilitated by the anonymity of the internet. You cannot control what other people do and the risk of this happening is no greater than it is any time you go out in public (well, maybe a little depending on where you are from). Go and have a great time and don't worry about it.

Are you saying that you are seeing these pictures on Cruise Critic? I am on this board alot and I do not recall seeing pictures of people.

yes, and sometimes people post it innocently enough eg. a big lady in a swimsuit "Wow, if you are that lady at least you have courage" or something like that.

I just really don't get why ANYONE would post pictures of strangers in their reports.... especially without permission.

I am going to go on my cruise, and I will have a good time, I just had this thought and felt the need to share it.

If one counts the sheer number of people who cruise in a 12 month period (with an estimated 2,000 people on any one cruise), the chance of becoming someone else's "laugh-a-moment photo-model" is very slim. Often the comments are more along the line of "bless her soul, she has courage wearing that, I wouldn't ...".

I think you will find that people are more cautious in the US (most CC posters are US based as far as I can make out) about being sued for something defamatory posted in the public domain. I believe there is more WRITTEN stories of this nature than photos (which are more easily identifiable) when one reads some of the blog entries. Quite often people do not have a camera at hand, and secondly the written story leaves more to the imagination of the reader.

I guess that if someone was going to do something risque, then he/she might be a bit concerned about becoming a photo-opportunity, but as far as I know most of the people that do it usually LOVE the spotlight. :D

I understand your fear.

Even the most beautiful person can be caught in a 'bad moment' on camera (think of tabloids/celebrities).

It's mean and nasty and says a lot about the person who does it, but there is nothing you can do. We live in an age where people photograph EVERYTHING. And it seems a lot more people photograph others with bad intentions.

There are some people here (just a very few) who I have noticed in the past, have blurred out faces of people who inadvertently got caught in a photo. That's admirable, but rare.

The only thing that keeps me sane is I am a firm believer in Karma....:D

Well if someone snaps a pic of me in my mankini:eek:..more power to them....

Should they want to show it to the world. so be it....

I personally have a saying that I follow in life....

F what people think..

If that A Hole..or bully or whatever you want to call them..wants to live there life like that....good for them...its people like that I use as an example to my teens and show them how not to become and they can spot losers like that a mile away....

to the OP..don't worry be happy!

Chances are NIL that it would happen to you anyway... you have more choices and things to worry about such as what desert you order, which show you will be going to!

I do feel more confident after sharing this...

I realise the odds of winning the lottery are likely better.... this is just something I noticed in the last little bit, and honestly something I never thought of before...

oh well...

I do not care what people think.... just what pics they post...

and I know that when I take shots of large areas (see Lido, port to get the ship etc) I don't blur our faces...

I meant more that close up of a large woman in a bikini or something like that where the picture was 100% intentional.

It's nice to know most people seem to feel the same way about it... And I know the point about the written detail is much more common, but I feel like 'pictures speak 1000 words'.... weird maybe... I don't know.

but I thanks to the CCers who have reaffirmed that the few not the many are posting these pics.

There are some strange people on here hiding behind their computer.

However the vast mafority of people here are good people who are very helpful to others.

Have no clue why anyone would need to post a picture of another to make fun of them.

I meant more that close up of a large woman in a bikini or something like that where the picture was 100% intentional.

I know what you mean...it's all about intent.

If someone snaps a photo of you with the intent to post it someplace and make fun of you, that is just not acceptable.

I have not read any reply s but what on earth are you talking about?

"Better be known for something than never known at all"

If you think you warrant being shown on random pics taken from unknown cruisers then I want to see them too:D lol Always good for a laugh:D

Den

I was thinking about this same thing the other night when i was reading that stupid Klassy Kruise blog.

Some people think it's ok to amuse themselves by humiliating others, but really all it does is show what kind of person they themselves are.

Pathetic.

Everyone can say oh don't worry, it won't happen to you, or i don't care what others think, etc. but i'm sure if it was your picture in one of those blogs or reviews, you would feel embarrassed and hurt. I know i would.

Would i let the fear of that happening affect my cruise though, where i go, what i wear? Hell no.

You can't let the losers of the world get to you.

OP As long as you are comfortable in your own skin this should not be a problem. You are comfortable in your own skin aren't you?

How feel in my skin has nothing to do with this.

My desire to NOT have my picture posted has everything to do with this.

As a PP said, it's playground bullying and it's not nice and it's not fair. However, you have just as good a chance as being posted on the internet while on land as you do on a cruise, thanks to sites like People of WalMart and Awkward Family Photos. As no one has yet to create Awkward Cruise Photos.com (that I know of), I'd say you'd be more than safe.

As a PP said, it's playground bullying and it's not nice and it's not fair. However, you have just as good a chance as being posted on the internet while on land as you do on a cruise, thanks to sites like People of WalMart and Awkward Family Photos. As no one has yet to create Awkward Cruise Photos.com (that I know of), I'd say you'd be more than safe.

This is true.

And I'd be lying if the recent thread formerly related to 'klassy' had nothing to do with this post.

I try to not overly post photos of myself, friends, family (personal preference) and even when I do a review on here (and future reviews) I am likely to not be in the any of the photos.

It would just be disheartening to then see myself pop up somewhere... and I think most people feel the same.

And I will reiterate I mean in some everyday act, like getting breakfast, enjoying a show, walking around Lido....

and I kind of feel this way whenever I see it........ I'm not JUST thinking of myself, I am more concerned with the entire idea of ANYONE taking a picture of a stranger to then post and make fun of it....

I don't enjoy seeing anyone made fun of (maybe that's the teacher in me)

I think as our society gets more and more 'digital' more and more privacy concerns arise, and I come from a family that has always taken privacy issues seriously.

Then you probably shouldn't ever leave your home because the same thing could happen on any given day, in any location, and be posted on any website in all of the www

:shrug

I wouldn't waste your time or energy on this.

Then you probably shouldn't ever leave your home because the same thing could happen on any given day, in any location, and be posted on any website in all of the www

:shrug

I wouldn't waste your time or energy on this.

thanks for this useful tidbit....

or perhaps, maybe people will read this and stop.... sometimes I think some people do it without necessarily thinking about it (like the thread of people taking some pictures of the people who live on the islands/different countries without permission)

and of course some people are just jerks.

thanks for this useful tidbit....

or perhaps, maybe people will read this and stop.... sometimes I think some people do it without necessarily thinking about it (like the thread of people taking some pictures of the people who live on the islands/different countries without permission)

and of course some people are just jerks.

Well there is that. And I would hope so too :)

I wasn't trying to be snarky, I was just saying -- it's not worth your energy.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my meaning! :)

Enjoy your trip

maybe I misinterpreted a bit.

I will enjoy my trip....

But sometimes I find things go unsaid and they do not change..... so I thought I'd say something, and maybe some things will change...

kind of like the chair hog idea (something I never really knew about, because I don't sit by the pool but am now aware of)

:)

What some invisible message board members do or say or post on here does not concern me one bit when it comes to cruising. These people are a SMALL percentage of the overall cruise passengers.

What some invisible message board members do or say or post on here does not concern me one bit when it comes to cruising. These people are a SMALL percentage of the overall cruise passengers.

Goes along with their SMALL mind:D.

Archived