opinions please - why should i book 1st or 2nd dinner seating on the dream 4 day

alaska_planner

i'm taking my mom and sister on the Dream for a 4 day cruise.

it's my sister's 63 birthday (and my mom is 85 :) )

they've never been on DCL.

I've been on two Wonder cruises with DH, DD and DS - but they won't be on this cruise. It's just me, my sister and mom.

So what do you think we should do?

First seating for dinner or second?

When i was on the Wonder with my family, we had second seating and liked it.

But my sister mentioned to me yesterday that she doesn't like to eat late.

When i asked my TA about it, she said that if we choose 1st seating, we'll be stuck with lots of little kids both in dinner and in the theater for the show.

so what do you think?

I absolutely hate making decisions. :eek:

i'm taking my mom and sister on the Dream for a 4 day cruise.

it's my sister's 63 birthday (and my mom is 85 :) )

they've never been on DCL.

I've been on two Wonder cruises with DH, DD and DS - but they won't be on this cruise. It's just me, my sister and mom.

So what do you think we should do?

First seating for dinner or second?

When i was on the Wonder with my family, we had second seating and liked it.

But my sister mentioned to me yesterday that she doesn't like to eat late.

When i asked my TA about it, she said that if we choose 1st seating, we'll be stuck with lots of little kids both in dinner and in the theater for the show.

so what do you think?

I absolutely hate making decisions. :eek:

While it's common thought that early dinner will have more kids (as well as the late show), we've found it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. There may be somewhat fewer diners at late seating than early, but percentagewise, there seem to be a similar amount of kids.

Regarding the "eating late" comment, I don't know where you are coming from to take the cruise, but I would keep in mind what time you body may be on. Example: if you are coming from the west coast to take the Dream, remember your body will think that 8:00 (late dinner) is really 5:00. So that might work out for you. Especially, since it's a short cruise, and you may not want to have to adjust too much to the time difference.

That said, eating late dinner gives you the early show, and between the two shows, we have found more kids at the early show, not the late.

:)

While it's common thought that early dinner will have more kids (as well as the late show), we've found it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference. There may be somewhat fewer diners at late seating than early, but percentagewise, there seem to be a similar amount of kids.

Regarding the "eating late" comment, I don't know where you are coming from to take the cruise, but I would keep in mind what time you body may be on. Example: if you are coming from the west coast to take the Dream, remember your body will think that 8:00 (late dinner) is really 5:00. So that might work out for you. Especially, since it's a short cruise, and you may not want to have to adjust too much to the time difference.

That said, eating late dinner gives you the early show, and between the two shows, we have found more kids at the early show, not the late.

:)

i'm coming from half a world away, but mom and sis are michiganders....same times zone...

you've convinced me, i think i'm going to try to switch us to early seating. ..

thanks! :)

Second seating is definitely much quieter. And I don't prefer going to the later show. I like to be fully alert for the show. If I'm less alert at dinner - don't miss anything. And can always get a snack if I'm a little peckish.

Second seating is definitely much quieter. And I don't prefer going to the later show. I like to be fully alert for the show. If I'm less alert at dinner - don't miss anything. And can always get a snack if I'm a little peckish.

and now you've convinced me....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

but actually, i would think that there are more kids in the first show and then they skip dinner in the main dining room..

It all depends on your personal preference. Either seating will be great. DCL does a swell job.

My TA said it's a whole lot easier to get seats for the second seating. 1st seating usually waitlists. Maybe reserve 1st seating, and then if you change your mind you can switch. Doesn't work the other way 'round, tho.

We were on the Dream in November/December and chose second seating, as we usually do. It is so much more relaxing to not have to worry about rushing back from port or the pool to get ready for dinner. We always grabbed a late afternoon snack on the pool deck for the kids (and us!) to tide us over. We were in all of the first shows of the day and had no issues with kids. Any that were there were fully entertained by the shows - they were great.

I suggest early seating. You will be in a better position to decide what to do with the rest of your evening after you've had dinner. On most lines I choose late dinner because you can still go to the show after dinner (they have later shows). DCL understands that they would have few families sign up for late seating if that meant keeping the kids up past midnight to enjoy the show.

Archived