Advice for Epic with kids

JillK

Hi all.

Hubby and I will be taking our two older kids (girls - 8 and 6) on the Epic this December.

I know it's early yet, but I'd love to hear some feedback from other folks on what's not to be missed for a family, or children on the Epic.

Also, hubby and I are interested in seeing the Cirque performance, but based on some of the reviews and comments I've read on CC I'm wondering about bringing the kids.... I understand there is some more mature content - inappropriate for their age or will it be over their heads?

Many thanks to all who respond - I really do appreciate the time, the insights and any recommendations.

I'm very excited to be coming back to NCL after many years since my very first cruise on the Norway!

Jill

Not sure how the rumor got started there is inappropriate behavior at Cirque Dreams. It is an acrobatics show that is up close and in your face. The show is made up of jugglers, muscle men, rope walkers, clowns etc. There is one performer dressed as a woman clown type performer. No nudity, no swear words, etc. It is like a circus. If a circus would offend you or your children, then it would not be for them. I would think cable TV and/or the internet would be far more offensive than a Cirque Dream peformance. But this thread has been debated before on this board and it really frustrates me. Most circus performers do wear tight clothes, etc. So some comment "the half naked man in the tub." What they dont tell you that he is in long pants with a hat and flies out of the tub above your head. NO SEXUAL stuff at all. There are jokes but I am 41 and they went over my head too.

I would say the water park is best for kids. The slides are so wild and crazy and fast that most riders are actually adults. The entire NCL Epic is kid friendly. Even the Ice Bar allows kids to drink non-alcoholic drinks and enjoy the experience.

The Second City has an "adult" show that is after 11pm. Even at this show there is not swearing and the adult humor is thought based (where you have to think about it to get it). It may not be appropriate for small kids but I dont think they would understand some of the jokes either. I never heard anything raunchy or swearing, etc.

NCL would not ruin their reputation of a family vacation if the shows were not appropriate for kids.

Your kids will have a blast.

My kids were 12 and 5 when we sailed. We took them both to the Blue Man and loved it. We also did the Nickelodeon Slime Time Live - that was fun (pics in my signature).

There was so much to do - water slides, rock wall, spider web climb, some organized activities plus the Kids Club.

Didn't do Cirque but have seen a Cirque show and it wasn't obscene. There might be jokes that go over their heads, but not obscene.

You will have a great time!!

I'm sailing again - the week after david_sobe - hopefully he saves me some fun. and some rum ;)

Hi all.

Hubby and I will be taking our two older kids (girls - 8 and 6) on the Epic this December.

I know it's early yet, but I'd love to hear some feedback from other folks on what's not to be missed for a family, or children on the Epic.

Also, hubby and I are interested in seeing the Cirque performance, but based on some of the reviews and comments I've read on CC I'm wondering about bringing the kids.... I understand there is some more mature content - inappropriate for their age or will it be over their heads?

Many thanks to all who respond - I really do appreciate the time, the insights and any recommendations.

I'm very excited to be coming back to NCL after many years since my very first cruise on the Norway!

Jill

Sorry I cannot answer any of your questions but when are you sailing in December??? If it is the 15th please come and join our group on the meet and great!!

The kids should love the water park area, the Blue Man Group, bowling, the Nickelodeon things.

There is nothing risque about the Cirque Show - I was sitting next to a girl about 5 years old and she was thoroughly enjoying the show. I am not sure where you read those comments, but they aren't true.

What sailing in December will u be on? We will be on the December 8th one, and I am bringing my son on his first cruise. I chose the epic because of loves Nickelodeon characters and I think he will love the kids club. I think he will also enjoy the Blue Men.

Hi all.

Jill

Your girls will love the Epic. Take them to BMG and to Cirque. Slime time live show in the theater and look at the ship dailies as well as the kids daily schedules. There are many activities for kids and families and just adults.

As for the Cirque show. My son was 7 the first time we did the Epic and 8 this past February for the 2nd time. On our first Epic cruise, it was about 5 months after the ship came out. I think the reviews you read were about the Cirque show when it first premeried. There was actually some commetary that was a tiny bit risque (sp?) It all went over my son's head. Well, all that was revamped/revised when we went last month. There is no speaking at all. It is just what some previous posters said. acrobatic, clown, goofy and a ton of fun.

Get in line at least 45-60 minutes prior to show starting, pay for premium seating and then you should have your choice of sitting in the balcony or on the floor very close to the action. We prefer the balcony!

My kids were on the Epic with us on November 5th 2011.

Our kids are aged 11 and 12 and they had an absolute blast!

They loved the rock climbing, water slides, basketball court, spider web climber, very rarely went to kids camp, loved Blueman Group, Slime Time and even managed to like having breakfast with Dora, Diego, Sponge Bob, Squidward, Tang and Patrick LOL.

Cirque was very interesting but the food wasn't that great. I didn't care as I went to the buffet after and had a nibble LOL. Go for the show and know you can eat elsewhere after if the food isn't to your liking.

As for the Cirque not being for kids??? HOGWASH! It was amazing and I think kids would find it magical.

The kids camp/ water slides employees were amazing with the kids. My kids formed a wonderful friendship with the staff and sure enjoyed hanging at the slides and rock wall. The cruise line certainly picked high energy staff.

Slime Time was awesome! You can try out to be a family on stage. They make an announcement for that and you meet in a lounge to try out etc. We saw that in progress but didn't bother, opting to be an audience member instead. It was a great show and our kids loved it. Slime Time live is not to be missed.

Couple of tips on the ship... they serve awesome chocolate chip cookies... watch for them. Also, have your kids make a milkshake on the ship. My kids loved my idea and spent most evenings indulging. There is chocolate syrup from the sundae area, take a cup and fill it half way with chocolate soft serve, add some milk and chocolate syrup and mix it vigorously with a spoon and VOILA! Once I got my kids doing it... it caught on hehe.

Have your cabin steward teach your kids how to make some towel animals, my kids enjoyed that.

If you have a girl, send her to the salon for a mani pedi and ice cream treat. My girls love going to the salon for that special while on board.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful time. Check out youtube.com for videos of the Epic. I would also be happy to post pictures I took as well.

Enjoy!

Jokelady

Thank you to all for your comments.

I'm really excited to be going on the Epic and to try the various entertainment options.

I must have been reading some old reviews when they spoke about some more risque dialogue in the Cirque show. In any case, I will definitely plan on attending with the kids and I'm looking forward to seeing the Blue Man Group as well.

Sounds like there will not be a lot of down time with all the stuff packed on to the ship! No doubt our daughters will love it.

They last cruised in Dec 2010 on the Disney Magic and begged every day to spend as much time as possible in the kids club. Something tells me that even without the mouse and princesses, they'll want to spend a lot of time in the Kids Crew too (nice break for mom and dad to get some alone time - we have 4 kids under 8 so this concept is non-existent at home right now).

And Jokelady, any pics you'd like to share, I'd love to see!!

Jill

• 1 month later...

We went on the Epic in November 2010 with my kids ages 9 and 6. They had a blast and loved every minute of it. They went to all the shows-- Cirque Dreams was definitely a favorite. They loved Blue Man Group & Slime Time etc. Here's a link to some pictures from our cruise. We stayed in a Courtyard Villa (i think they call them something different now) It was great for the kids to have their own room. I think some changes have been made on the ship & entertainment venues since then. Would love to go back someday!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thegrills/sets/72157628132093140/

I think you read my review of Cirque from one of the first sailings of the ship. There was some dialog and sexual references (no swearing, no nudity) that some of the more prude members of our group wish wasn't in the show. Even if they still did this it would go over the heads of your kids. It's also my understanding that the show is very different now, focused on the amazing acrobats and not on the hokey dialog of the original show. Go see it!

Our kids also loved Blue Man, the slides, Slime Time Live, and especially the ice cream in the Garden Cafe. :) My teens spent a lot of time in the teens club and with new friends. They didn't enjoy Legends that much because they didn't know who the singers were mimicking, but the adults enjoyed it. Also, they liked Howl at the Moon for the bit of time we were in there. It was fun.

Have a great time!

At the end of Blue Man

331-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jill,

Our family will be on the Epic with our DD 8 and DS 6 for the December 1 sailing. Just wondered if we will be cruising together. We are so excited and are also looking for great activities to do with the kids, so I've been checking out your posts. I hate to wish my life away, but I can hardly wait!

Robin

Hi Robin.

I know exactly what you mean about being ready for December to come. I try to put it out of my mind for the most part but hubby and I are desperate for a getaway.

We are bringing our DD's but are leaving our DS's at home (currently 2 and 7 mths). As you can appreciate our daily lives are extremely hectic. Hubby lost his mom (only 59) last Christmas day after a short but gruelling battle with cancer and he has fixated on this cruise since then as a break that he really needs to refresh and revitalize.

Unfortunately we will miss you by a week as we are on the December 8th sailing. Wishing you a wonderful cruise and be sure to post with any great tips you come across until you leave! I will look forward to reading your cruise review and comparing notes!

I assume you're going to put your daughter in the pull down and son on the couch? Our girls share a room and we know they slip into bed together once we leave their room. Our oldest has had difficulty sleeping independently since the day she was born and frankly, I'm not sure how things will shake out in terms of sleeping arrangements. I'm kind of dreading giving up the bed for them and being in the top bunk but might have to face that reality once on board.

sdmike - I did read your review prior to booking and really appreciated your insights. Not sure if the Cirque bit was exclusively from your review but in any case, yours was one that helped make my decision to book Epic. Thanks for such a thorough review. Looks like your kids hated BMG!!

kpg - thanks for the link - those are great photos. Love your stateroom... I hope to some day to find myself in one of these! I'm just proud to be in a balcony for the first time ever this time. I always love to live vicariously through the travels of others since I don't get to get away as much as I'd like to. Much appreciated.

Jill

We are planning to put DD on the top and DS on the couch. Hopefully that will work without any problems. If we need to we will put blankets on the floor and one (or both) of them can sleep there. Our kids like to "camp" on the floor even at home, so no big deal. We booked a family balcony on the 14th deck near, but not across from the kids area...and down away from the elevators a bit. This will be my 3rd NCL cruise and my DH's 2nd. After having a balcony on our last cruise (honeymoon 2003) on Princess, we will never sail again without one. It will be especially nice for when the kids are in bed. You will love it! Now that our kids are older, we are hoping to make cruising a yearly family event.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your MIL. I lost my mother when she was nearly the same age. It is very helpful to have something to look forward to. I wish you and your family a wonderful trip filled with many happy memories.

Robin

Archived