Pass the popcorn please !

bluehenfan

It is my understanding that they no longer show CNN on the big screen. too many complaints about bad news while people are on vacation. If you want CNN you have to go to your room now.

I also agree that they volume is way too loud on the big screen. You can't even talk to your neighbor without shouting. Movies at night, concerts during the day.

Awww, I thought this was a thread bashing "trolls"... pop, pop

Yes the daytime big screens could be turned off or at least way down. Bring back the steel drums!

I had to laugh when I saw your reply because as soon as I posted my questions I thought, Oh Oh!.... someone is gonna see that and think, "here we go!.. will it be trolls, cigarette smokers or chair hogs !! " LOL.

I agree. I loved the steel drums during the day. College I worked at for 30+ yrs. had student steel drum players club that played at many events in my building over the years. When I'd hear them from my office I could close my eyes and bam! I was on deck of a ship, sun on my face and a DOD in my hand !!

I've read they show filmed concerts like Billy Joel. Thought I've read they even break out the blankets if it cools off after dark. Seen complaints that its too loud for some.

I'm a big Billy Joel fan - have seen him in concert many times. I also wondered if they use the big screen when it was cold out. The blankets sound like a great idea.

They give out popcorn when they are showing the movie (at least they did on the Valor), but it isn't that flavorful. They have salt to add, but no butter.

Agreed, free on Valor a couple weeks ago, but tasted AWFUL!!

Magic had popcorn, you salted it yourself, and they added extra butter sauce if you asked ;)

I didn't watch a movie, but I did get some popcorn :D

I would love this ! Just to be on the safe side I guess I'd bring along a couple snack size bags of already popped popcorn, but this would be ideal! Tks for info.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. CC members are the greatest! Now having said that, I'm really undecided. As much as I love, love, love movies and as great as watching one under the stars while munching on popcorn (no pizza for me I'm afraid! LOL) I don't know that I'd want to have The View, CNN or any tv show blasting during the day so loud I couldn't hold a conversation. I always sit way in the back of the theatre when I go to nightly show on a cruise because I think they're almost all too loud and have even left because my ears actually were ringing due to excessive volume. Will have to rethink cruising with big screen. Thanks again.

Yes, free popcorn and movies on the Dream. Concerts too. Could have done without the self-indulgent Cilene Dione concert. Made me hate her even more. Some decent movies though. Something for everyone. You will enjoy it. Not much on during the day, no CNN just a loop of tropical scenes. DW and I both agreed that we will find other quieter spots to hang out during the day and then if we want to watch a movie or concert, grab a seat on the lido. You will have no trouble avoiding the noise until your movie starts.

Yes, free popcorn and movies on the Dream. Concerts too. Could have done without the self-indulgent Cilene Dione concert. Made me hate her even more. Some decent movies though. Something for everyone. You will enjoy it. Not much on during the day, no CNN just a loop of tropical scenes. DW and I both agreed that we will find other quieter spots to hang out during the day and then if we want to watch a movie or concert, grab a seat on the lido. You will have no trouble avoiding the noise until your movie starts.

Totally agree on the Celine Dion concernt, and I HATED the part where she was visiting German Concentration Camps.....Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible about that part of world history but it is NOT what I want to see when I'm on vacation.

I loved having breakfast on the Lido deck the morning we arrived in Cozumel last March (2011) and having "Barry Manilow: Live" come on the big screen. I'm turing 40 this year and I grew up listening to his music and although my musical tastes are all over the board from Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd to 80's new wave/Industrial/Goth music, I still dig me some Manilow. It was a great way to start the day and made me smile thinking of my mom.

musicandpassion2006.jpg

I've been on one cruise with the big screen and one without. In my opinion, it ruins the Lido deck.

Can we not spend ANY time without staring at a television? There is one in the cabin if you really have to watch!

I love the idea of movies under the stars, and I like them showing the stupid cruise director show trivia morning call in show, but to have standard TV fare -talk shows, news programs, etc- just ruins the vacation feel.

We don't spend a lot of time up on the Lido deck as I'm not a "lay out in the sun" kind of person. But the blaring TV made me want to spend even less time up there on the Freedom. On the Spirit we enjoyed walking around and people watching.

Archived