Is it too much to do Mt. Haleakala and RT Hana same day?

Middleager

We'll be on POA Aug. 25, so will be in Maui on Sun. Aug. 26 - 27.

Last time in Maui (2005), we tendered at Lahaina. There we rented car and drove the Road to Hana, then went past to Oheo Gulch (and the 7 sacred pools) round the circle back to Lahaina that night. I was the driver and enjoyed it. The turns and small roads did not bother me. We stopped at many places, took many hikes, and really enjoyed the trip.

This time we're docking at Kahului. On Sun. Aug. 26, we're thinking to drive to Mt. Haleakala first thing in the morning. After that, would it be too much to follow with the Road to Hana trip?

The next day Mon. Aug. 27, we're thinking of getting up early, to go for a Molokiki scuba/snorkeling trip, 6:30am from Kihei. Returns at about 11am, then we'll go to Ioa Needle. So we need to go to bed early Augj. 26 night.

It would be too much for me! That being said, I think it could be done, but honestly it would be rather late at night for the drive back to the ship for the night.

Also, to do all of that and have to get up at 6:30 am the next day would make it all seem kind of rushed.

I guess it all depends on you and the others traveling in your party.

I cruised on the Pride of America in late 2011 and wrote a blog about each port, activities etc... it's located in my signature below if you're interested.

Have fun!

I too was told it would be too much in one day...............as I wanted to add a luau and the sunrise at Haleakala too. So, we decided to forgo RTH, rent a car and do the Up Country...............do the luau the first night and the sunrise (3:15am - yup, I'm nuts but we're doing the ship excursion so we don't have to drive in the dark). The rest of the second day in Maui will be done or not done, depending on how "wiped" we are !!! We're not young kids anymore but we're not over the hill either ! :D

I too was told it would be too much in one day...............as I wanted to add a luau and the sunrise at Haleakala too. So, we decided to forgo RTH, rent a car and do the Up Country...............do the luau the first night and the sunrise (3:15am - yup, I'm nuts but we're doing the ship excursion so we don't have to drive in the dark). The rest of the second day in Maui will be done or not done, depending on how "wiped" we are !!! We're not young kids anymore but we're not over the hill either ! :D

My weak attempt at taking a decent sunrise picture with an old kodak point and shoot :o. But if you have not gone, it is well worth getting up and bundling up to experience it. I had a great time and I drove. :D

6997366147_2f7cdb3abb_c.jpg

It is possible to do all that you are wanting to do but I would do the road to Hana first to keep with most of the traffic in the morning that will be heading to Hana earlier in the day.

If you wait until the afternoon you will be meeting A LOT of cars heading back to the ship at ALL those ONE LANE bridges that were so easy to cross and beautiful earlier in the day.

We did this same day in May 2004 while on a RCCL reposition cruise to the islands. First the road to Hana then we kept going all the way around the island past seven pools (we had a four wheel drive jeep but you did not need it - the road is fine). Then we ate lunch and headed up to watch the Sunset on top of Haleakala. A great day. Only regret was we didn't of course have enough time to enjoy all the sights. October 2010 we spent a week on Maui and we still didn't have enough time at most places we visited ;).

If you get up on top early enough in the afternoon be sure to stop by the crater which will be east of the road (on your left going up) as the sun will be setting on your right, if the mist is coming up in the crater as it was the day we were there in 2004 you might get a circle rainbow like we did. The picture below is of the rainbow with my wifes shadow in it, I laid down to stay out of the photo.

2102312370091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

We also usually go high the first day so we can dive the second day not having to worry about going to high up into the mountains after a good dive or two. So your second day is a great well thought out plan.

A boat dive would have been a far easier than the shore dive we did at Slaughter house (at least for my pack mule self) the second day (lots of stairs to haul a lot of gear but a very good shore dive area). The problem was I wanted to see some of the shore line between Kapalua and Kahakuloa before we had to get back to the ship.

2924461200091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2544068410091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2965211430091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2750458270091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Have a good trip and let us know how it goes

My weak attempt at taking a decent sunrise picture with an old kodak point and shoot :o. But if you have not gone, it is well worth getting up and bundling up to experience it. I had a great time and I drove. :D

NICE sunrise pic - good job

Thanks for all the responses, and the nice pics.

Hey Diverearl, you are super strong to be hauling 2 tanks at a time. Even one tank is heavy for me.

Good point about RT Hana first, then Mt. Haleakala next if time. I guess if anything happens, we can skip Mt. Haleakala in the afternoon.

Diving at Molokini looks like a "signature" dive for a Maui trip. The top side looks real nice. But if we do dive that second day, we can't go to Mt. Haleakala after. Well, I guess if we miss it, that would be the reason for a next trip back to Maui.

On Sun. Aug. 26, we're thinking to drive to Mt. Haleakala first thing in the morning. After that, would it be too much to follow with the Road to Hana trip?[/b]

I wouldn't do it unless you are a sucker for punishment!

That is a lot of driving in one day.

Great picture, thanks for sharing................glad we chose the sunrise tour over TRH.

The point of Haleakula is to see the sunrise, which means leaving at about 4:30 am....it's a couple of hours up and back. Hana is a full day (or close to it.)....Do one or the other...not both in the same day!

I think what you meant to say was that "the point for YOU was to see the sunrise" which would automatically almost eliminate any chance for the OP to see Haleakala. For me the point was just to see the top and all that that encompassed (just enjoying the scenery of the volcano / crater - seeing the volcano's on the Big Island 70 & 100 miles away - seeing the round circle rainbow (my first but not my last see my webshots album (Homer Alaska 8 / 2010 second pic ) round rainbow from our plane) watching the sunset from the observation area etc etc.)

Like the OP if you are divers we must get the elevation out of the way first or risk death or serious injury going to high after a deep dive.

Like me they might get back to the islands often, but then again this could be their only chance to see as much as possible.

That is a lot of driving in one day.

This is somewhat true in that there is some driving involved (doing both in a single day was very easy and pleasurable driving whereas many of the posters on this board report that just the drive to Hana and back is difficult) in this full day outing. But what is tough for one person might not be difficult at all for others. Surely I think the OP is smart enough to figure out his or her own abilities and limitations.

I guess I have to remember probably not a whole lot of others would consider the hike to Kalalau Beach consisting of 11+ miles of walking with 5000 feet of elevation gain and loss along a trail that often has very steep / high drop offs, including a lot of muddy walking then spend the night in a hammock just to walk the 11+ miles with 5000 feet of elevation gain and loss back the next day a fun time. But to some of us these are some of the best days we get on Earth. Second only to playing with the grand daughter for sure.

Then the next day we get to dive down 100 + feet to do some real shell hunting all he while watching really cool critters go about their day that most other people only get to see in books or on TV.

2886696530091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2363211510091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2454415180091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

2524249620091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Point is yes Hana and Haleakala CAN be done in one day and truly enjoyed at the same time - it just isn't for everyone.

The day will probably require 14 - 15 hours to see and really enjoy very many of the sights that will be involved in this outing.

Thanks for all the responses, and the nice pics.

Hey Diverearl, you are super strong to be hauling 2 tanks at a time. Even one tank is heavy for me.

I just do what I have to do and make the best of it : ) - my wife will not carry gear to sights like Slaughter House and I want her to have the opportunity to dive with me if she wants to, so I usually get to help her out a little (which often pays off in the end anyway one way or the other). She has way to much common sense to do some of the "FUN" stuff I seem to enjoy.

Good point about RT Hana first, then Mt. Haleakala next if time. I guess if anything happens, we can skip Mt. Haleakala in the afternoon.

Good plan, personally I like to make a plan then enjoy whatever happens not getting to caught up in having to do it all to have a good time - That is what work is for to me.

Diving at Molokini looks like a "signature" dive for a Maui trip. The top side looks real nice. But if we do dive that second day, we can't go to Mt. Haleakala after. Well, I guess if we miss it, that would be the reason for a next trip back to Maui.

I definitely agree to do this great dive, as nice as it is on Haleakala there are many other things to see and do on the islands that would out prioritize Haleakala (at least for me).

2693904920091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Playing with one of the locals at Sharks Cove on Oahu. It was his lucky day because if one of the topside locals had found him the day would have probably ended very different.

Also since it's raining like crazy outside and I have some time time kill, be sure to walk out to see the lava flow (if it is still flowing when you are there) and hopefully there will be an ocean entry sight soon, on the Big Island - if things like that appeal to you. Many will tell you you can't walk out to the flow but again (and this is one of the main reasons I post pictures) my pis will tell you that you often can legally and safely hike out to the flows or ocean entry sights.

2083845940091393226S600x600Q85.jpg

Do you get off talking that way?

Yes some people find it a challeng to drive the Road to Hana. I had driven it, from Lahaina, and back, and quite enjoyed it. Everyone has a different feel about driving, including the scenic yet windy RTH.

The point of Haleakula is to see the sunrise, which means leaving at about 4:30 am....it's a couple of hours up and back. Hana is a full day (or close to it.)....Do one or the other...not both in the same day!

So in your opinion if someone cannot see the sunrise at Haleakala, then don't bother going.

Well won't be able to see the sunrise. But we'll see how much time we have left, after the RTH, to see if we'll go to Mt. Haleakala.

Then the next day we get to dive down 100 + feet to do some real shell hunting all he while watching really cool critters go about their day that most other people only get to see in books or on TV.

I definitely agree to do this great dive, as nice as it is on Haleakala there are many other things to see and do on the islands that would out prioritize Haleakala (at least for me).

Going down to 100+ ft at Molokini. Was it at the backside? You lucky diver. I understand they don't usually go to the backside unless the water is calm. I hope my wife would've recovered (from her illness last year) and be able to go on the same boat to go snorkeling.

Point is yes Hana and Haleakala CAN be done in one day and truly enjoyed at the same time - it just isn't for everyone.

Since we've done the RTH before and had stopped at many places (we had researched and had plans with us, including a CD), this time we may skip a few stops, or not hike as far (don't need to see the twin falls, or stop at the Hana hardware store, etc.) and can start driving the circle back earlier. But we won't rush it, and play it by the ear.

Last time I was gung ho on making use of the most of the port times. This trip we will go a bit slower in a more relaxed pace.

Do you get off talking that way?

Yes some people find it a challeng to drive the Road to Hana. I had driven it, from Lahaina, and back, and quite enjoyed it. Everyone has a different feel about driving, including the scenic yet windy RTH.

:confused: You asked for opinions; this is a colorful opinion. What do you mean by "talking that way"? It's not as if there are swear words or nastiness.

My opinion, if I dare post it, is that it would be too much for one day. It's quite a bit of driving. diverearl's opinion is that it involves some pleasurable driving. A perfectly valid view of it. My opinion is that it is more than some driving, though much of it is pleasurable. The straight driving time (no stops for viewing, hiking, exploring, etc.) involved to do both with Haleakala for sunrise/early morning and then RTH following would be 8-1/2 to 10 hours (4 for Haleakala, 5 if driving up before dawn; 4-6 for RTH). If you factor in 1-2 hours for Haleakala and 3-4 hours for RTH, then it's too tiring a day for our tastes. For us, that's too much car time and not enough seeing/doing time.

Of course you should do what you prefer. It sounds as if, and I could be wrong, you already figured that it wouldn't be too much for one day for you. By all means, do it and have a great time if you it sounds like a day you will enjoy.

beachchick

:confused: You asked for opinions; this is a colorful opinion. What do you mean by "talking that way"? It's not as if there are swear words or nastiness.

Yes I asked for opinions and opinions and comments are welcome, including yours and thank you. But the other guy wanting to call someon a sucker, is not swearing, but is nasty.

My opinion, if I dare post it, is that it would be too much for one day. It's quite a bit of driving. diverearl's opinion is that it involves some pleasurable driving. A perfectly valid view of it. My opinion is that it is more than some driving, though much of it is pleasurable. The straight driving time (no stops for viewing, hiking, exploring, etc.) involved to do both with Haleakala for sunrise/early morning and then RTH following would be 8-1/2 to 10 hours (4 for Haleakala, 5 if driving up before dawn; 4-6 for RTH). If you factor in 1-2 hours for Haleakala and 3-4 hours for RTH, then it's too tiring a day for our tastes. For us, that's too much car time and not enough seeing/doing time.

Of course you should do what you prefer. It sounds as if, and I could be wrong, you already figured that it wouldn't be too much for one day for you. By all means, do it and have a great time if you it sounds like a day you will enjoy.

beachchick

If you see my comments, I did indicate that I'm going with the suggestion to do the RTH first now. After that will see if there's still enough time left to still do Haleakala. In the previous trip I've driven starting out later, from Lahaina to Hana and circle back. From Kahalui it should save 1.5-2hr, and we're starting earlier. That's why asking the question in this thread.

Your time analogy is good. 4-6hr for RTH, plus time to sightsee. I've heard it's 3 hr to Haleakala. Those times are from Kahului. So if already on the road, there is some time saving from the total of 7-9 hr of the straight driving. We definitely want to sightsee, but have learned we can skip the twin falls, or the paid garden. Still want to see Keanae, bamboo forest, Wainapanapa arch and black sand beach, Oheo Gulch, etc. So we'll see how it goes. Thanks for your comments

Archived