My List is Getting Long!!!

Lessum

My list of what I am packing is getting longer and longer....and I am starting to wonder how I am going to make it under the 50lb weight limit!! Many of the items I am packing are lightweight sundresses, but I am still worried. We are on an 8nt cruise in April with an overnight in Miami before hand....

Add to the clothes all the other stuff I have to bring and I am worried...

UGH!!!

I so know the feeling. Every time I tell myself that I am going to pack lighter, it gets just a little heaver. Last trip I had to add more items to my carry-on tote to make my weight, but then I ended up buying another rolling carry-on while in Rome. :rolleyes: At least I knew where to get it cheap.;)

Funny how those knit dresses weigh just as much as some lined linen pants, or other items.

Can you add your shoes to a carry-on instead of your checked bag? Good luck!

This is what I have done: a couple of years ago, I purchased 2 matching pieces of luggage, a rolling duffel bag-type checked bag, and a large-ish carry on. Along with my medium-sized purse, that is all I take, whatever the trip. I don't go over the wait limit, because I cannot put that much weight in those bags. If it doesn't fit in those 2 bags, it doesn't come, as simple as that.

Put everything you're planning on taking on your bed than take 25% of that stuff and leave it home. I used to overpack but after the last year's worth of trips I have it down. Remember that lots of things can be worn twice... especially dinner dresses and pants since you usually don't wear them that long. Plan all of your outfits around 1 or 2 pairs of shoes. Black is your friend. Travel sized toiletries save space and weight. Have fun!

I only take travel size toiletries so that's not an issue. I have a pair of black heels and a pair of silver heels. I have 2 pair of flip flops. But then I need a pair of closed toed shoes for 2 excursions so that means another pair of shoes. I probably won't wear my night time dresses more than once as I plan to wear them all evening. They are super comfy and at home I never get to dress up as I have no where to go so I plan to stay dressed up. Day time sundresses will probably get worn more than once though. Also, the flat iron and hair dryer (not sure I will take mine or not yet), sunscreen, and a million other things on my list...

And for me...I would rather take too much than not enough. You never have a problem if you say...oh I didn't wear such and such...but I hate when I say "I wish I had..." So, if it fits and I am under weight, I take it! Let's hope I can make it work!!!

I was trying to only take one checked bag. Then take my back pack as my carry on/personal bag so on the way home if we have souveirs we bought I can carry on another bag that I will bring empty(folded in my luggage).

Blah...I hate packing.

Sounds like you have to pay for your checked bags? SW allows 2 checked under 50 per person (I think), but if your paying for each bag and they need to be under 50lbs, then you have to reduce and eliminate something?

Maybe take a smaller extra bag for things to bring back, and just pack another bag?

The closed toe shoes, wear them on the plane.

It is hard packing when you need to stay within weight & bag limits.

My son and I will probably have 2 pack checked bags and a carry on each. We will be gone total of 8 days and I want to have at least 8 daytime outfits and 2 dressier outfits each. 3 swim suits/trunks , 3 sarongs, 2 heels, silver & black (got my outfits down to maybe even only the black pair of dress sandals may go. 4 pair of flip flops, 1 pair of black dress shoes for my son. We will wear our tennis shoes. I may even use one of my sarongs to wear on the plane around my shoulders. Will take a light sweater or jacket, if I do will wear on the plane. Planning to take 1-2 pairs of bermuda shorts or maynot they are heavier then sundresses.

Oh I've typed a lot

Just review everything and if anything is a maybe then leave it home.

Regardless of how we're travelling, air or auto, we only take the luggage we can manage on our own. I don't at all mind re-wearing the same clothes a few times, we have it laundered or dry cleaned in between wearings, we only pack enough for 5 or 6 days no matter the length of the trip. With having to have 2 separate wardrobes, it's ridiculous trying to pack 2 outfits per day for that long. If flying, it's cheaper to use the cleaning services ($35 each way for either overweight or extra cases, laundry costs are about $25-30 for the week). On the way home, everything is dirty, no sorting out clothes for repacking.

Be careful with SW baggage, they don't charge for those two bags, but if you go overweight, they charge more than other airlines do. I've read on travel news that they collect just as much in baggage fees as other airlines do.

We've never come close to packing our suitcases over 50 lbs., usually they come in around 38 to 42 lbs., fully packed. Our suitcases are pretty heavy to begin with as well, we don't have the newer lighter weight luggage at all. I have no idea how people get them so heavy? Full sized toiletries? Lots of shoes? I don't know, I pack mostly shoes and clothes in my cases, travel sized toiletries go in the carry. I sell luggage part time and it's always kind of baffled me why people need to pack so much heavy stuff to travel.

There was only one time in moe than 20 cruises that I wished I had brought more clothes with me, that was on our Med cruise. I took only 1 or 2 short sleeved tops for day wear, I could have used 4. That and I took a new pair of pants with me (day wear) I ended up not liking them at all. That taught me an important lesson, never take clothing you don't know well. Unless it's a cocktail dress you'll only have on for a few hours, an article of clothing only worn once is a waste.

I know now, what I didn't previously... I had a new Samsonite bag that weighed too much to start with, so 12lbs was lost off the top. And I guess some of us would prefer not to only have five outfits to rotate through their vacation... while others do. Choices we all have, and make. Nothing wrong, but a personal preference.

So lets just say, I'm currently looking for a bag that I can live with because I know me, and not having choices while on vacation would not make me happy. Again a personal preference.;)

Oh, and I learned the same on my first Med cruise... I didn't have enough lightweight tops... or bottoms... so I'm well versed for that heat. lol

I know now, what I didn't previously... I had a new Samsonite bag that weighed too much to start with, so 12lbs was lost off the top. And I guess some of us would prefer not to only have five outfits to rotate through their vacation... while others do. Choices we all have, and make. Nothing wrong, but a personal preference.

So lets just say, I'm currently looking for a bag that I can live with because I know me, and not having choices while on vacation would not make me happy. Again a personal preference.;)

Oh, and I learned the same on my first Med cruise... I didn't have enough lightweight tops... or bottoms... so I'm well versed for that heat. lol

I too am constantly challenged by airline weight limits - and realized part of the problem was the luggage weight. So I always try to find the 'lightest' possible luggage to save some of those precious pounds for actual 'stuff'.

This is my latest purchase - I love it - believe it or not this big piece weighs only 5 lbs! ...and the reviews are very good too!

http://www.ebags.com/product/international-traveller/it-0-1-second-generation-worlds-lightest-2-wheeled-285-upright/226627?productid=10167062

I used it on my last caribbean cruise and planning to take it to Europe in the fall!

Froufie- definitely going to look at that piece.

We actually do not have to pay for luggage. DH is active dutty military and Delta gives him 2 free checked bags up to 50lbs each even on personal travel so we are trying to stick with that- one bag each to be checked by him. I have a lightweight bag but am afraid it is too big and if I fill it up I will be over weight. DH said I can use his bag if I can fit everything and he will take a different bag but I have to see how heavy his is empty. I have only been on one cruise before and we drove. I do not really want to waste time doing laundry- I do enough of that at home anyway so I would rather just have my choices as others have said. I think I am going to start to pull stuff together next week and see what fits in what bag and weigh them and then determine if i need a different bag or cut down on what I am taking.

I too am constantly challenged by airline weight limits - and realized part of the problem was the luggage weight. So I always try to find the 'lightest' possible luggage to save some of those precious pounds for actual 'stuff'.

This is my latest purchase - I love it - believe it or not this big piece weighs only 5 lbs! ...and the reviews are very good too!

http://www.ebags.com/product/international-traveller/it-0-1-second-generation-worlds-lightest-2-wheeled-285-upright/226627?productid=10167062

I used it on my last caribbean cruise and planning to take it to Europe in the fall!

You're my new best friend!!!! Thanks!:D I hate to waste my money, and I loved my pretty heavy bag, but traveling with it is a bit much. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

You're my new best friend!!!! Thanks!:D I hate to waste my money, and I loved my pretty heavy bag, but traveling with it is a bit much. Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Hi to my new BFF! :D:D Seriously even the lightest bag I had weighed at least 11 lbs - so this saves me 6 lbs! YAAY

Hi to my new BFF! :D:D Seriously even the lightest bag I had weighed at least 11 lbs - so this saves me 6 lbs! YAAY

So that's equivalent to a couple of pairs of shoes... lol. So tell me, is the material really sturdy?

Leesum, thank you for your military family sacrifice... you deserve the free baggage!

thats how i feel also! i need good options or else i wont be happy with what im wearing! i always bring extra even night wear ill bring a dress or two extra so that if i decide while im sailing that i absolutely hate the dress i brought(im very dramatic when im getting ready), i have back ups!

The only problem that we've been finding with lightweight luggage is that the structure doesn't protect the contents as well. Many times there is no structure at all (the above mentioned case hase a fiberglass frame which I'm not familiar with) and is made of polyester nylon. Only time and experience will tell if it can hold up to the rigors of air travel, so please report back how it worked out.

When you take fewer evening outfits to rotate, you're only wearing 2 things more than once on a 7 night cruise. That's usually for me my pair of black pants and one top that is worn the first and last nights, no biggie.

At home I'll go 3/4 weeks without wearing the same tops, but I got over having to overpack clothing and coming home with half a case of clean unworn clothes several years ago. I got weary of hauling all that stuff around that ended up being useless. Mind you, I could never pack for a cruise in a carry on only. The carry on is for hair and makeup :)

I plan to wear a dress every single night on my 8 nt cruise and my night in Miami pre-cruise - even if it is a casual dress. So, there is no repeating pants and changing only tops there...

And I am not planning to put hair and makeup in a carry on...it all has to go into the checked back. I am only planning to carry a backpack or tote bag on the airplane.

Think next week I am going to pull out the majority of what I want to pack and put in my big suitcase which is surprisingly lightweight (maybe I should weigh it empty) and see where I am at). If it is too much, I will downsize the bag.

Leesum, thank you for your military family sacrifice... you deserve the free baggage!

Thanks! Appreciate it! It's not always easy, but it's worth the sacrifices we make. My DH has loved his time in the military! He has 22 years in and is being medically retired soon so it is bittersweet. Thanks again!

I am so counting down to my vacation, but am cheering as each person is about to depart. So it looks like you are almost next. Please continue to share your final lists and then how things workout! lol

This is really helping me make through the days. :D

I am so counting down to my vacation, but am cheering as each person is about to depart. So it looks like you are almost next. Please continue to share your final lists and then how things workout! lol

This is really helping me make through the days. :D

Yes not much longer now...we leave for Miami 3 weeks from this Friday!!! I am more than excited! The next few weeks are going to be CRAZY! My oldest daughter is in kindergarten and is in year round school. She gets out this week for 3 weeks of spring break. Since we can't go anywhere for a week since DH and I are going on the cruise the week she goes back to school we are doing 2 long weekends in the camper so Saturday we leave for 4 days to Charlotte and then Thursday before Easter we head to Myrtle Beach for 4 days. So, needless to say I feel like I am running around like a chicken with it's head cut off!!! In between all that I am trying to get my 3 days/wk in at work. Thankfully I have a flexible job where I can work when I want!

Archived