Disembarkation after an overnight in port

Carnevale

In all of our cruising we've never before disembarked after an overnight in port and we are hoping someone who has done it can share how it works. We'll be leaving Riviera after an overnight in Venice. How early can we disembark? How is the off-loading of luggage handled? Do we need to do anything with customs/immigration at the point of disembarkation? I should mention that we are doing our own air and transfer arrangements.

In addition, as this will be our first cruise on O, we are wondering how breakfast is handled on the last day. Is room service still available or does everyone use the buffet and MDR? Thanks!

In all of our cruising we've never before disembarked after an overnight in port and we are hoping someone who has done it can share how it works. We'll be leaving Riviera after an overnight in Venice. How early can we disembark? How is the off-loading of luggage handled? Do we need to do anything with customs/immigration at the point of disembarkation? I should mention that we are doing our own air and transfer arrangements.

In addition, as this will be our first cruise on O, we are wondering how breakfast is handled on the last day. Is room service still available or does everyone use the buffet and MDR? Thanks!

The bulk of your luggage still goes outside the cabin on the night before you arrive in Venice, and you will claim it as you leave the ship.

You may leave the ship at any time on day two, but if you are planning on a VERY early departure, I would suggest that you confirm the hours of the customs desk in the port. Even in the largest ports, those are not necessarily 24/7 operations (I found that out the HARD WAY).

It is best to keep the luggage that YOU carry off of the ship to an absolute minimum. Unless you are in a cabin with a Butler, it is nearly impossible to get help with the luggage from stateroom to dock (even more so if you are on a strict schedule).

Room Service is only offered on that last day in the Suites, or (as I just found out) if you must leave the ship BEFORE the restaurants open.

Hope this helped, enjoy your cruise!

We did have to clear customs when we overnighted in Rio de Janeiro. Since we had our own arrangements we could leave anytime after 7 am. What we did find was that the luggage was still being taken off the ship at 7 am. Maybe that was because we were in Rio, but they certainly had the luggage off very quickly once they started.

We overnighted in Istanbul. Ship cleared customs, I guess, on the first day as we had no customs involvement. We had an early flight and had a 6am pick up at the ship by our van. Luggage was on the dock and the Terrace was open at 5am so we could have breakfast. We were picked up at about 6:15am and made the airport in plenty of time.

We had checked with Oceania through our agent to make sure it would all work.

One possible caveat, our flight was arranged by Oceania and many passengers were on early flights so that might have influenced the restaurant opening and what time the luggage made it to the dock.

In any event, if you have a good agent, they should be able to check and let you know the particulars.

The bulk of your luggage still goes outside the cabin on the night before you arrive in Venice, and you will claim it as you leave the ship.

Do you mean you have limited clothes for the day in Venice before disembarking on day 2 ??

I can never decide what to wear to dinner until just before :eek:

We only take 1 suitcase each so I would have to wear my clothes all day & night, not much room in my carry-on

Do you mean you have limited clothes for the day in Venice before disembarking on day 2 ??

I can never decide what to wear to dinner until just before :eek:

We only take 1 suitcase each so I would have to wear my clothes all day & night, not much room in my carry-on

Even on the old ocean liners, where one dressed for dinner every night, the last night was never formal because it was assumed that you would debark the ship in what you wore to that last dinner.

nieuw_amsterdam6.jpg Fresh underthings and a clean shirt will generally see you through even a second day :)

Yep, we had an overnight in Istanbul before disembarking, luggage went outside the cabin door the last night before disembarkation, not the night before we arrived in Istanbul. Breakfast is usually available in the GDR and Terraces, room service for suites and those leaving before the two restaurants open.

If you have an overnight on the ship, you put your luggage out the night before you disembark, not the night before you arrive in Venice.

That is what I would think ..we have done that on other lines that overnighted in debarkation port

but the "people in the know " posted otherwise so that is why I questioned it

Yep, we had an overnight in Istanbul before disembarking, luggage went outside the cabin door the last night before disembarkation, not the night before we arrived in Istanbul. Breakfast is usually available in the GDR and Terraces, room service for suites and those leaving before the two restaurants open.

This was also our experience in Istanbul. I may be incorrect, but I believe Baristas was also open that morning. We put out our bags by 10:00 pm the night before disembarkation. We also did not get our passports back from Turkish customs (our butler brought them) until nearly 8:00 pm that last evening. The promised return of passports was delayed several hours from the initial advertised time and many passengers were quite upset waiting for them due to restaurant reservations, etc., according to our butler.

Depending on the port, transportation services leaving the port could be strained (not sure about disembarking in Venice, having only embarked in that port). In Istanbul, there were five ships all disembarking on the same day and it was gridlock getting out of the port facility. Fortunately, we booked our own flight from Istanbul to Frankfurt that left in the afternoon, so we got to Ataturk airport in plenty of time.

that is what i would think ..we have done that on other lines that overnighted in debarkation port

but the "people in the know " posted otherwise so that is why i questioned it

:D

That's always been our experience, too. We have found that you can sometimes time it to get back to the room from dinner and last-minute drinks with friends and hurriedly put your clothes from that day into your luggage before putting it outside your door, saving that space in your carry-on.

Archived