ft lauderdale hotels

Lovetravel101

We have used Priceline and have successfully bid for hotels in Dania Beach which were within walking distance of a large shopping center with most if not all of the things you are looking for. The hotels there offer shuttle service from the airport and to the pier and usually include a complimentary breakfast buffet and free internet.:)

Check out the Florida Departures Board as this question comes up alot

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

I'd recommend Sleep Inn, Dania. Nice and clean plus a Walgreen's next store and a Publix market and 2 smaller restaurants across the street. Free transportation from the airport and to the port. Free breakfast too.

Princess uses Embassy Suites Fort Lauderdale (it can be booked yourself without the transfers). It is definintely near the port (though not as close as the Renaissance which Princess used to use) and close to Harbor Shops which has a Total Wine and variety of other shops. Depending which way you walk you either get a Walgreen's or CVA for a chemist.

We stayed at Hyatt place north hotel was great for overnight stay before the cruise. A two minutes walk to outback steakhouse and harbour shops were about the same in the othr direction which included supermarket and great family run diner for breakfast.

Can anyone recommend a hotel that is near port and walking distance to some shopping, water, pop, wine etc.

Any hotel on 17th St; there are many. Renaissance is closest to the port entrance, if your ship is docked at #2, you can walk in.

I will second the Embassy Suites. Nice 2 room suites 2 T.V.s Free cocktails in the evening. Free cooked to order breafast in the morning. Close to great restaurants with in walking distance. In the back 1 block there are grocery stores and a Total Wine store. You won't regret this place.

We stayed at Hyatt place north hotel was great for overnight stay before the cruise. A two minutes walk to outback steakhouse and harbour shops were about the same in the othr direction which included supermarket and great family run diner for breakfast.

Also stayed at the Hyatt Place North. They have a nice lounge area which serves beer and coffee at night which I found many pre-cruisers hang out in (when I stayed it was raining in the evening, so this may not be the case if it is a very nice night?).

Free shuttle to the cruise port (2 min ride), walking distance to many stores, restaurants (DW requested a stop at Cold Stone Ice Cream :)), and a trolley stop which will take you to the beach and more shopping/restaurants.

We booked a room at the Westin Resort and Spa on Priceline for $100 and that was for boat show weekend in October, I am thinking you could get cheaper other times. The reviews I read on it says it is across the street from the ocean, drug store and several restaurants nearby. It is also close to the port and airport.

What areas are the best to bid a 3 1/2*+ in FLL for pre-cuise on Priceline? I am thinking downtown &/or beaches?

I usually book a fully cancellable 3* in advance that would fit my needs as a back-up hotel about 5-6 months in advance. Then I start bidding on Priceline about 6 weeks prior to my trip for a higher star level, never going above my back-up price. I usually end up cancelling my back up and getting a nicer place to stay for less money. However, I do want to keep in a convenient area for the port.

What areas are the best to bid a 3 1/2*+ in FLL for pre-cuise on Priceline? I am thinking downtown &/or beaches?

I usually book a fully cancellable 3* in advance that would fit my needs as a back-up hotel about 5-6 months in advance. Then I start bidding on Priceline about 6 weeks prior to my trip for a higher star level, never going above my back-up price. I usually end up cancelling my back up and getting a nicer place to stay for less money. However, I do want to keep in a convenient area for the port.

Read Bidding for Travel and you might be able to secure a hotel right now for your price.

I usually book Fort Lauderdale beach area or Hollywood/Halendale beach area using Hotwire and have never gotten a bad deal yet. Give it a try. Bob:)

Altho the Hollywood Beach area is nice, I wouldn't rec to someone just looking for one night who wants to be near the port. Cab costs can wipe out some of the savings. For a 2 + night stay pre or post cruise, it is a very nice change if one has been to Ft. before.

I agree we too enjoy the beach hotels in Ft. L. 17th St. hotels don't do much for us getting in the vacation mode. For one night, it IS convenient tho. Just a matter of what you need or want. We like to take in sand and water when coming from the midwest's winter months.

For those who recall, this is the old Amerisuites Hotel. The one where you could stay one night and park your car free for two weeks. Don't know if they still allow this.

They charge $5 per day parking now. We were there in January.

Read Bidding for Travel and you might be able to secure a hotel right now for your price.

I use Bidding for Travel on a regular basis. I am still over a year out. I was hoping the people on this board are more attuned to the best area for cruise ship departures. They mainly list winning bids, such as the Priceline thread on this forum. Not attuned to giving advice for convenient locations.

Bidding for Travel usually recommends bidding 2-4 weeks out. I push it with 6 - 8 weeks! I just won some nice California 4* hotels in CA for a land vacation this May.:)

I use Bidding for Travel on a regular basis. I am still over a year out. I was hoping the people on this board are more attuned to the best area for cruise ship departures. They mainly list winning bids, such as the Priceline thread on this forum. Not attuned to giving advice for convenient locations.

Bidding for Travel usually recommends bidding 2-4 weeks out. I push it with 6 - 8 weeks! I just won some nice California 4* hotels in CA for a land vacation this May.:)

Two months ago I secured the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for a cruise at the end of October. No way I could ever do better than $65. Sometimes you get lucky.

Two months ago I secured the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro for a cruise at the end of October. No way I could ever do better than $65. Sometimes you get lucky.

Yes, that is a lucky bid. I got 4* hotels in Newport Beach and in Pasadena for $70/night each. I was amazed. Other times in CA I have struck out. It is the luck of the draw. I will try for FLL a little earlier than usual, but probably not more than 4 months out. I will also keep my bid a bit below my back up rate to allow for the extra incidentals that a 4* does not include which may come with a 3* (breakfast, shuttle, etc.) If I can convince my DH to stay an extra night I may just keep my real bidding (not my rebids) to the beach area and have a nice relaxing beach day before the cruise!

Archived