Just finished renting cars on the islands (princess cruise)

nunk

Started off with reservations a few weeks before hand with Discounthawaiicarrental.com

So simple! Filled out a form for each island and received an email with 24 hours for each island with the lowest rate possible for the car I selected. Didn't need to provide credit card either.

Hilo- was a bit crazy waiting (in pouring rain :eek:) for shuttle to pick up but they do pick up and take you to airport location (10 min drive) and again return. Used enterprise here.

Kauai- shuttle to/from airport (10 min drive). Used thrifty.

Maui (lahaina)- Used dollar. shuttle does not come until after 8am even though tender started at 7. It's about 20 min drive and the last shuttle back to ship they provide is 4:00 regardless that the ships last tender was 5:30. If you miss the 4:00 shuttle they will call you a taxi for an $18 ride back to ship.

One thing I want to mention...we wanted an 8 passenger vehicle for my family but if you call the car rental agency or tryto book online they will advise they can't/won't rent one over the phone. We were able to get one in Hilo and Kauai at the counter and once in Maui, I called directly to the dollar counter and they held one for me.

Used the bus in Honolulu to and from wakkiki. Cheap and efficient for where we were going.

Happy to answer any ?'s :)

Started off with reservations a few weeks before hand with Discounthawaiicarrental.com

So simple! Filled out a form for each island and received an email with 24 hours for each island with the lowest rate possible for the car I selected. Didn't need to provide credit card either.

Hilo- was a bit crazy waiting (in pouring rain :eek:) for shuttle to pick up but they do pick up and take you to airport location (10 min drive) and again return. Used enterprise here.

Maui (lahaina)- Used dollar. shuttle does not come until after 8am even though tender started at 7. It's about 20 min drive and the last shuttle back to ship they provide is 4:00 regardless that the ships last tender was 5:30. If you miss the 4:00 shuttle they will call you a taxi for an $18 ride back to ship.

One thing I want to mention...we wanted an 8 passenger vehicle for my family but if you call the car rental agency or tryto book online they will advise they can't/won't rent one over the phone. We were able to get one in Hilo and Kauai at the counter and once in Maui, I called directly to the dollar counter and they held one for me.

Used the bus in Honolulu to and from wakkiki. Cheap and efficient for where we were going.

Thanks for the tip, I already had reservations for most of the ports for our cruise in September. But I just contacted this place figuring maybe they have a better deal. Can't hurt. waiting to hear back from them. :D

Sure!

Hilo- ford excursion approx $200 total with their fill up of fuel-1/2 tank

Kauai- ford excursion approx $150, we filled up at the local Costco before returning

Maui- chevy traverse approx $150, filled on our own

Was quite impressed with the amount of room and comfort in both cars. Told all at the counter we were on a cruise ship and those prices (supposedly) reflected a discount for ships.

Thank you for the information. But I remember seeing some threats mentioning about the 4X4 rental in the Big Island, base on your own experience, do you think a 4X4 is necessary there? Are the roads very rough and difficult to drive?

Thank you for the information. But I remember seeing some threats mentioning about the 4X4 rental in the Big Island, base on your own experience, do you think a 4X4 is necessary there? Are the roads very rough and difficult to drive?

We drove to the volcano national park and rainbow falls and the drive was no problem at all! :)

Can you please tell me about the bus... Does it pick you up at the port and go to the Hilton Waikiki resort by chance? And if so, how much per person? Thanks!

Yes, pick up bus to waikiki just outside the port. We took to international shopping/outrigger which I believe is near the Hilton? Adults were 2.50, kids under 18 are 1.25 each way unless you are staying under 2 hours then it is the price round trip with the transfer ticket they give. There was an information booth with a helpful man right in front of the aloha tower at the port if you need direction.

Bus system worked great but I wouldn't go to that area if you are looking for a "relaxing" beach day- was packed!

Archived