First Regent Cruise

I'm about to book our first Regent cruise to the western Med 7 day itinerary for next year. I need opinions from Regent regulars on whether I should book a concierge class or not. Really the main reason I'm contemplating booking this level is due to the early access for excursions but after reviewing the excursions for this year I'm not sure anymore. The Prime and Signature restaurants would be nice but not my primary concern.

The itinerary starts in Rome and ends in Barcelona. We've been to Florence so will just do the independent tour to get into Florence. In Portofino we would do our own thing. In Monte Carlo, we would probably want to do the Eze and Monte Carlo excursion. In Marseille/Provence I like the Aix-En Provence or the Food and Wine Trails tours. Finally in Mallorca I like the one called Panoramic Valldemosa. So if anyone has experience on any of these tours I would love to hear from you and if you think I should book concierge to perhaps be able to do these particular tours. Thanks for your help.

I'm about to book our first Regent cruise to the western Med 7 day itinerary for next year. I need opinions from Regent regulars on whether I should book a concierge class or not. Really the main reason I'm contemplating booking this level is due to the early access for excursions but after reviewing the excursions for this year I'm not sure anymore. The Prime and Signature restaurants would be nice but not my primary concern.

The itinerary starts in Rome and ends in Barcelona. We've been to Florence so will just do the independent tour to get into Florence. In Portofino we would do our own thing. In Monte Carlo, we would probably want to do the Eze and Monte Carlo excursion. In Marseille/Provence I like the Aix-En Provence or the Food and Wine Trails tours. Finally in Mallorca I like the one called Panoramic Valldemosa. So if anyone has experience on any of these tours I would love to hear from you and if you think I should book concierge to perhaps be able to do these particular tours. Thanks for your help.

My advice is to book the lowest category on sale. Up to Penthouse you get the same size suite and the concierge class amenities are, in my view, not worth paying extra for. If you are forced into a higher class because the lower ones are sold, the amenities are some compensation. You can usually get on the tours you want anyway.

Happy cruising.

With the excursions you're looking at, I'd wouldn't advise going for a Concierge suite. For the most part, the excursions you want will not be ones with limited slots available. You should be able to get most or all of what you want at the 180 day mark. If something is not available at that time, it is likely that waitlisting the excursion would be successful.

There is a fare difference of $800 pp between a Cat. H guarantee and a Cat. E suite. Since you'll be on the Mariner, you won't have to worry about things such as vibration issues. It's been said many times that there are no bad suites on the Mariner. In any event, with an extra $1600 in your pocket, you can book some private tours if you can't get all the Regent tours you want.

Enjoy the cruise.

Probably won't do the lowest cat. guarantee as I want to be sure and get a cabin with a shower only and not in the very front of the ship. However I will look at one cat. up from that. I'm curious on Regent what are typical shore excursions on that itinerary that are capacity controlled? I thought of the ones I could see the Mallorca Food and wine trails might be the only one.

Appreciate the help. Now I wish they would extend the business class upgrade offer!

If you want a suite with a shower instead of a tub, choose a suite whose number ends in 1 through 6. For a Cat G. suite, my first choice would be a shower suite in the 730's. They are very quiet and convenient to many things on Mariner.

Don't pay the extra (says the girl who got a Butler) i like Cat F... Deck 8 mid-ship, and yes shower only... Cuz climbing into a tub to take a shower is the pits!

Of course that is assuming you don't want a tub:)

You are gonna love love love Regent!

Don't pay the extra (says the girl who got a Butler) i like Cat F... Deck 8 mid-ship, and yes shower only... Cuz climbing into a tub to take a shower is the pits!

Of course that is assuming you don't want a tub:)

You are gonna love love love Regent!

I agree that Deck 8 mid-ship is a good location. However, from April 2, 2012, those suites will be Cat E suites.

Agree with what all others have said, not worth it. Also agree with what Dave Fr says about the G shower suites in 730's if we are talking about the Mariner. Have been on those halls several times, and will be in 731 again later this year. Very convenient to lots of activities just one deck below. The only thing I don't like about the H cabins on the Mariner is that it is a longer walk to get anywhere.

Cabin 856 or 822 are both great locations and are still Cat F ... I do like 822 as it is just around the corner from the free laundry!! Ya ya I know i need to send it out....but bad habits are hard to break!!!! Maybe i will let the Butler deal with it??:D

My vote for mid-ship Cat F is 856 and the heck with the laundry!

One thing I forgot to mention, Stjohrocks, if you are new to Regent, and have not yet booked, you are entitled to be referred by a past cruiser, and that will give you an additional $200 cabin credit. Several cc'ers (me included) have offered email addresses in the thread at the top of this forum page (last page). You must tell them when you book, and they must have the referrel before your deposit is paid.

You asked a question about capacity controlled excursions. These are often when there is a boat or a plane or a carriage ride involved, something where they simply cannot add more busses, or say there is a lunch included where capacity is limited. I just booked today for an excursion to Ez, and my cruise is only 2 weeks away. However, I suggest booking as soon as you are able. Several of the excursions available on my cruise are waitlisted at this late date.

I like suites that require me to walk. . . . . with all of that lovely food, you need some walking:D

Just want to say that the Penthouse suites ("A", "B" or "C") on the Mariner are the largest and nicest Penthouse suites of any Regent ship. I don't have a list of reasons why you should book a Penthouse suite. My only reason is because it is an incredible experience with lovely suites and a Butler that is willing to help you in any way possible. If you are not interested in a Penthouse, book whatever suite is in a position that you prefer. Getting a shower suite is no longer as difficult as it was -- most suites are shower suites:D

Archived