Finally! Riviera now in sea trials

First Time 2008

What I (and I suspect the vast majority of us) do not know is the timeline and key events involved in launching and commisioning a new vessel. I am just delighted that the Riveria now seems to be on schedule.

I am not sure how it works but isn't the sea trials are to make sure the ship is seaworthy

but she may not be fully glammed up ...I seem to recall when marina was been built they had a few weeks to do the decorating etc....

My thinking & memory may be off so I am sure someone has the correct info

Can someone tell me if Riviera is in sea trials, why did they cancel the April 24 Maiden Voyage? Seems to me that there's enough time between sea trials now and the Maiden in April.

Going on Sea Trials does not mean that she is finished inside (or outside for that matter). It simply means that the engines and the hull are ready to be tested.

6a0120a92e343a970b0168e8fe018a970c-800wi The painting isn't even finished right now,

This is the way that her bow should look (it is weird that Kunal and I got almost the exact same shot):

060330.jpg

Can someone tell me if Riviera is in sea trials, why did they cancel the April 24 Maiden Voyage? Seems to me that there's enough time between sea trials now and the Maiden in April.

Since the decision to cancel was not done lightly, there is probably data tracking the average amount of time a ship needs to deal with the inevitable problems that show up in sea trials. I'm guessing the new maiden voyage date allows for anticipated mechanical adjustments, legal formalities, and by-invitation sailings so important to marketing the new ship.

Admittedly, not a cruise related example, but the subway system recently constructed within Dulles International Airport (Washington, DC) could not be certified for use until it had run for 30 days without a problem. Any time a problem developed, the clock got re-set and the process had to start over with Day 1 of the new countdown. This requirement added at least four months to the opening date for the subway.

Archived